Rear Suspension Clunking

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Hey guys update on my case.
I called honda canada this morning and they said that they have a new bulletin for the rear suspension knocking. They mentioned something about replacing locking nuts in the struts and installing some foam (thats all i remember). Im not really sure what those two new parts will do but when I heard "foam" I assumed it was for sound insulation but I am not really sure.

My dealer did not know about this new bulletin so honda canada went ahead and contacted them to get them updated.

So PLEASE guys call honda canada and they will contact your dealer about the new bulletin if in case they still dont know about it.

My dealer now placed orders for those parts as alot of people have the same clunking suspension problem. The only thing is they told me that those new parts are on "NATIONAL BACKORDER" so its gonna take "awhile" for them to arrive. They dont have a time frame on when it will arrive but I'll keep everyone posted.
Sounds like it's the same thing I was told. Most recently I've heard "New improved damper mounting base on both sides and insulate the damper cap with EPT foam".

Fun fact, the doors don't close well when its -38c :)..... Fingers crossed though.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Hey guys update on my case.
I called honda canada this morning and they said that they have a new bulletin for the rear suspension knocking. They mentioned something about replacing locking nuts in the struts and installing some foam (thats all i remember). Im not really sure what those two new parts will do but when I heard "foam" I assumed it was for sound insulation but I am not really sure.

My dealer did not know about this new bulletin so honda canada went ahead and contacted them to get them updated.

So PLEASE guys call honda canada and they will contact your dealer about the new bulletin if in case they still dont know about it.

My dealer now placed orders for those parts as alot of people have the same clunking suspension problem. The only thing is they told me that those new parts are on "NATIONAL BACKORDER" so its gonna take "awhile" for them to arrive. They dont have a time frame on when it will arrive but I'll keep everyone posted.
Can you get more detail specifics on the part numbers they ordered? Curious if this is consistent with the parts mentioned earlier in this thread as resolving the issue. 52670-TBF-A11

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
Man, it has been really really cold this year. When I left for work at 7:30 this morning it was 48 F !

Holy cow, the high today is only 60 F !

Living in Phoenix is a hardship I tell ya. I shall somehow persevere!

Back on topic, I don't hear any clunking noise.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Man, it has been really really cold this year. When I left for work at 7:30 this morning it was 48 F !

Holy cow, the high today is only 60 F !

Living in Phoenix is a hardship I tell ya. I shall somehow persevere!

Back on topic, I don't hear any clunking noise.
Maybe if you had a SI you might hear the clunking and if you lived in a colder climate. Type R's are not being reported as having the clunking noise anyway. Sorry, you are in the wrong forum.

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Hello,

Im bringing up this thread again, since i have good news for all of you guys.

I got the confirmation by Honda Canada that they finally came out with a second "attempt" to fix their suspension noise when its cold during winter.

New service bulletin #B-1-19 ( You actually need to ask for it, since this is not a recall, customer that have rear suspension noise can ask for this bulletin )
This change consist of installing new Top Plate on both shocks, and adding some kind of isolation between the top plate and the "cover" of that top plate. For both sides.

I got one friend of mine that did it. Its winter here and so far, after two weeks, no more noise.

I will do this bulletin and let you guys know.

Cheer :)

OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Hello,

Im bringing up this thread again, since i have good news for all of you guys.

I got the confirmation by Honda Canada that they finally came out with a second "attempt" to fix their suspension noise when its cold during winter.

New service bulletin #B-1-19 ( You actually need to ask for it, since this is not a recall, customer that have rear suspension noise can ask for this bulletin )
This change consist of installing new Top Plate on both shocks, and adding some kind of isolation between the top plate and the "cover" of that top plate. For both sides.

I got one friend of mine that did it. Its winter here and so far, after two weeks, no more noise.

I will do this bulletin and let you guys know.

Cheer :)
Would it be possible for you to get a copy/pictures of the TSB for us in the USA since Honda seems to be omitting us. That way we can do it ourselves.

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would it be possible for you to get a copy/pictures of the TSB for us in the USA since Honda seems to be omitting us. That way we can do it ourselves.

I'll try to get my hands on those documents.

But in any way, if you have rear suspension noise, you could technically just show up at the dealer and tell them that there's a new TSB.

They won't deny it.

OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag

But in any way, if you have rear suspension noise, you could technically just show up at the dealer and tell them that there's a new TSB.

They won't deny it.
Unfortunately Honda USA does not recognize Honda Canada TSBs, I got the run around even after bringing the first TSB for this issue after it came out.

dpalce19

First Name
Dary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI sedan
Country flag

They won't deny it.
What if they do? I called Honda Canada and a representative could not find that TSB number and said I should get the dealer to call Honda Canada directly and have them look for it....

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What if they do? I called Honda Canada and a representative could not find that TSB number and said I should get the dealer to call Honda Canada directly and have them look for it....

Ah thats strange...
You should just deal with your dealership at this point.

I just know that its out, a friend of mine did it last December 6th.

Bastien.E

First Name
Fritz Bastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Honda Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Can you get more detail specifics on the part numbers they ordered? Curious if this is consistent with the parts mentioned earlier in this thread as resolving the issue. 52670-TBF-A11
Sorry I asked both my dealer and honda canada about tsb number or even just bulletin pictures and they all said they are not allowed to giveout such info

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Had the work done.

I still hear the noise, albeit its much less obvious than it was before and I have gone over some bumps expecting to hear it but got nothing.

Something to note, it is -43C here so we're talking a fairly extreme side of the spectrum temperature wise. I will keep driving it and see if anything changes, maybe when temperatures stabilize eventually it will completely go away, if that's the case then I'll report back.

Something interesting to note, the picture below is the old mount, its cracked. Fun times :).

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Suspension Clunking Crack

ZEEE Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI, 72 Z-28
Country flag
Had the work done.

I still hear the noise, albeit its much less obvious than it was before and I have gone over some bumps expecting to hear it but got nothing.

Something to note, it is -43C here so we're talking a fairly extreme side of the spectrum temperature wise. I will keep driving it and see if anything changes, maybe when temperatures stabilize eventually it will completely go away, if that's the case then I'll report back.

Something interesting to note, the picture below is the old mount, its cracked. Fun times :).

Crack.jpg
Well that pic there just might be the answer to this whole thread. With that collar cracked through, the shaft from the shock would have just enough play to make the noise we are hearing, plus you can see that the nut/washer has been wearing into that collar from the extra movement. I'm getting this done as well this month when the parts arrive so it will be interesting if mine is the same way. Thanks for the pic NightStalker!

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was just at the dealership today for an unrelated problem and I brought up the new tsb for the clunking to the service advisor. He ordered the parts and should take 2 weeks to get. I'll update once the fix is done.
Sponsored

Last edited: