SIcRebel

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
My rear suspension just started clunking big time over bumps. It just came in all of a sudden, now every bump i hit is quite noticeable. Is the TSB a free repair?
I don't think so. The problem was related to sub zero temperatures which made something in the rear suspension loose which caused the clunking.

Maybe your problem is coved by the Honda warranty.
Sponsored

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I don't think so. The problem was related to sub zero temperatures which made something in the rear suspension loose which caused the clunking.

Maybe your problem is coved by the Honda warranty.
My comprehensive warranty is expired, unfortunately.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My rear suspension just started clunking big time over bumps. It just came in all of a sudden, now every bump i hit is quite noticeable. Is the TSB a free repair?
Took mine to the dealer here in new york. They cant figure out what it is.. Im pissed, over pot holes and bumps it just clunks like something is loose.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. 1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Country flag
Well, I still have not had a chance to replace the upper strut mounts, but they are clunking like crazy today, Its -8 outside. MN roads are at there worst so its pretty unbearable. I have had my struts swapped on both sides and the uppers replaced once under warranty. The real issue is the viscosity of the rear shocks in very cold weather overwhelms the upper strut mount rubber mount and the strut mounting point hits the outside of the strut mount. It gets slightly worst if you dare enable the sport mode, as dampening of the strut then gets slightly stiffer. I have the revised parts in hand, just really have no motivation to work in this cold weather. FWIW.. I don't think this would be a problem you would see in other variants of civic, the struts are unique to this model.
Finally got the shock mounts replaced today. The material in the shock mount is a blue color/durometer. Old on top new on bottom. Will report back when we have some cold weather here in MN to see if its finally fixed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Suspension Clunking 20201107_152519

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update on my rear clunking noise which had nothing to do with the cold weather!
There are rubber bushings that the springs sits on. In my case it was the bottom ones. Both were not installed correctly by a shop and was causing the spring to hit lower mount it sits on. I replaces both bushings and installed them myself correctly. There are two nipples on the bottom of those bushings am you gotta make sure they both pop into that lower control arm! ?

Bagged_FC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update on my rear clunking noise which had nothing to do with the cold weather!
There are rubber bushings that the springs sits on. In my case it was the bottom ones. Both were not installed correctly by a shop and was causing the spring to hit lower mount it sits on. I replaces both bushings and installed them myself correctly. There are two nipples on the bottom of those bushings am you gotta make sure they both pop into that lower control arm! ?
What did you actually change for the clunking to go away? I'm on Air Suspension and i get that same noise in the passenger side rears.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What did you actually change for the clunking to go away? I'm on Air Suspension and i get that same noise in the passenger side rears.
I wrote it in the post. on the top and bottom of both springs are these rubber grommets that sit in place with the spring. Two of mine both bottoms were installed incorrectly so the metal spring kept making contact with the real lower control arm that it sits on.

Go to 3:17 of my youtube video

Bagged_FC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I wrote it in the post. on the top and bottom of both springs are these rubber grommets that sit in place with the spring. Two of mine both bottoms were installed incorrectly so the metal spring kept making contact with the real lower control arm that it sits on.

Go to 3:17 of my youtube video

Do you think it’s the same thing for air suspension? Because what’s funny my left side I have no rubber grommet or anything to hold the bag and it doesn’t make noise, but the right side it doesn’t have it either but it makes noise. Any recommendations?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Will report back when we have some cold weather here in MN to see if its finally fixed.
We are finally into the cold weather months here in MN, and so far not a single clunk since replacing the rear shock mounts with the latest revision. Consider the cold clunk "fixed" finally after 4 years of ownership. :headbang:

OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I replaced my upper shock mounts with the 2020 version in the fall and have had 0 clunking issues this winter when we got into the single digits.

NeemEss

First Name
Neven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (sedan)
Country flag
Finally got the shock mounts replaced today. The material in the shock mount is a blue color/durometer. Old on top new on bottom. Will report back when we have some cold weather here in MN to see if its finally fixed.

How's it been for you so far? These St. Paul neighborhood roads have really emphasized the problem for me.

Also, if you had someone replace it, where and how much was the whole ordeal?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How's it been for you so far? These St. Paul neighborhood roads have really emphasized the problem for me.

Also, if you had someone replace it, where and how much was the whole ordeal?
So far its been non-existent after replacing the mounts. I ended up doing it myself since i am out of warranty now. The first 2 times I brought it in for clunking, the dealer was unable to address with replacing the complete rear shock assemblies. The latest revision of the strut mount addresses the issue, part number #52670-TBF-A11. As far as cost, it was just the cost of the updated parts, $50 for 2 of them.

NeemEss

First Name
Neven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (sedan)
Country flag
So far its been non-existent after replacing the mounts. I ended up doing it myself since i am out of warranty now. The first 2 times I brought it in for clunking, the dealer was unable to address with replacing the complete rear shock assemblies. The latest revision of the strut mount addresses the issue, part number #52670-TBF-A11. As far as cost, it was just the cost of the updated parts, $50 for 2 of them.

Thanks for the detailed response! Now to see if I can do something about this myself

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update for anyone with the clunks in the cold, -15 F here the past 2 weeks and no clunks! The updated shock mounts are the fix!
Sponsored