First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also FYI but the TSB is Canada only for now and it is for the 2017-2019 Si so the guys with EX's not sure they will do the TSB.
Sponsored

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Now that the temperature where I live has been staying around or below 0 the rear suspension has been clunking over bumps, anyone else have this issue? It goes away when the weather warms up above 10-15 degrees.
When it's cold, the grease in the ball joints is hard and you may just be hearing it thump because it's hardened. This kind of issue is exacerbated by new cars with longer oil change intervals where steering and suspension would typically be lubricated more frequently (typically at every oil change).

Whatever joints are serviceable, grease them. Take the car for a drive soon after and if the clunk is gone, it's just hardened grease from cold weather. If you can't do that, just take it in and ask them to check it. If there is no play, have it greased to see if it goes away.

If you do grease it yourself, keep in mind that lubrication only fills the joint whereas years ago, you'd fill the joint until old grease came out. Once you see the joint swell, it has grease. Do not overfill them.

booswaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX (1.5L)
Country flag
Update: so just got back from the dealer and the service guy told me it was the rear seat latch was loose and he said that my back seat was alittle “off”. He told me the rear seat latch was loose for some reason causing the seat not to latch on properly. So he tightened everything back there and he tightened other parts in the trunk as well.

He told me as soon as he checked the back passenger seat he heard the sound. We went for the drive and he immediately recognized the problem. Lucky my service guy has the same Honda Civic as me, so he told me he knew what to look for. Hopefully my updated information will help others. Make sure to check your rear seat and the latch to make sure it is tight enough.

NeemEss

First Name
Neven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (sedan)
Country flag
Update: so just got back from the dealer and the service guy told me it was the rear seat latch was loose and he said that my back seat was alittle “off”. He told me the rear seat latch was loose for some reason causing the seat not to latch on properly. So he tightened everything back there and he tightened other parts in the trunk as well.

He told me as soon as he checked the back passenger seat he heard the sound. We went for the drive and he immediately recognized the problem. Lucky my service guy has the same Honda Civic as me, so he told me he knew what to look for. Hopefully my updated information will help others. Make sure to check your rear seat and the latch to make sure it is tight enough.

That's pretty much what they said for me too. It's so strange to me. Thanks for the update.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
finally getting the car in to the dealer for this werid suspension noise im having. Lets see what they say

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
My SI 2017 have just been repaired according to the bulletin. Although is it not that cold today (-5 degree celcius... ) the car feel solid with no noise at all.

i hope it will remain like that. 2 years ago they tried to fix it using a different procedure and the noise came back the year after

but let’s be positive, it look promising

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
I did the last TSB two months ago, where it was still freaking cold here.

The issue is fixed from my end, even during -30 temp.

So it took Honda 3 years...

OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Does anyone have a copy of the Canadian TSB for reference?

SIcRebel

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I had it done end of February and no more clunking noise since!
So happy, the car is finally perfect!
2018 Si (Montreal region)

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, could you let me know what to say to Honda dealer to do this? what TSB is it?

Thanks!
It is Honda Service Bulletin B-1-19 .
Just mention you have the clunking noise and that you heard/know there is a TSB and they have no choice but to fix it.
It is not that cold out right now so hopefully they don't give you trouble if they can't reproduce the noise.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
It is Honda Service Bulletin B-1-19 .
Just mention you have the clunking noise and that you heard/know there is a TSB and they have no choice but to fix it.
It is not that cold out right now so hopefully they don't give you trouble if they can't reproduce the noise.
I called a Honda dealer this morning to ask regarding this and they said there's no TSB's for my 19 Civic Si...sigh. I guess it's a waiting game again next winter lol. I haven't heard it in a while since it's not that cold anymore.

SIcRebel

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Hey, could you let me know what to say to Honda dealer to do this? what TSB is it?

Thanks!
Hi,

Last year there was no solution and my Honda dealer said they would call me when a TSB would be released and that there were many other owners had complained about it so everybody in this case was a priority and would be called. I called Honda Canada and they said not to worry, they put me in their database for when the suspension TSB would be released I would get an email and a call from my dealer. I suspected they wouldn't follow up so I was going on this forum once in a while to check if any news on the TSB. Finally one day someone mentioned that the TSB B-1-19 was released. I didn't get any news from Honda Canada nor from my Honda dealer so a few weeks later I called my dealer to tell them but they didn't even know about it. They researched it and said ok let's make an appointment! I had my appointment 2 weeks later and I drop off the car in the morning and get called in the afternoon and they say that the parts were back-ordered and come get your car we will call you when we get the parts! About 3 weeks later I got the call and they booked an appointment a few days later.
After all that time had passed, the weather was getting warm and I was stressed because they wouldn't hear the noise and not want to do the work. Thank god a technician had noted the noise on my file from last year so they did the work.

I had it done at Honda Ste-Rose in Laval. I had a few cold days after that and didn't hear any noise. What a relief!!

Thanks to this forum this irritating problem got fixed! Without it, I'm sure my suspension problem would still be in limbo.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
My rear suspension just started clunking big time over bumps. It just came in all of a sudden, now every bump i hit is quite noticeable. Is the TSB a free repair?
Sponsored