Clunking Sounds from Suspension Mods

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so you tightened the nuts a little bit, preloded by backing up on to ramps and torqued them down that way?
I actually did the entire thing from start to finish on the ramps but most importantly yes, they were torqued under load.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ugaexploder

ugaexploder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I actually did the entire thing from start to finish on the ramps but most importantly yes, they were torqued under load.
also, im not sure if this matters. but what brand sway bar/end links did you use? our of curiosity.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
crazy how many people are battling this Whiteline clunk. I have checked over every component so many times and am on the verge of just going back to the stock bar.

OP
OP
ugaexploder

ugaexploder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
crazy how many people are battling this Whiteline clunk. I have checked over every component so many times and am on the verge of just going back to the stock bar.
Yeah I am def at whit’s end..may end up going to accord end links or eibach end links. ???

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Yeah I am def at whit’s end..may end up going to accord end links or eibach end links. ???
I have the accord links. I feel like my clunking HAS to be sway bar related I’ve done nothing else back there except a chassis brace that literally touches no moving parts

OP
OP
ugaexploder

ugaexploder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I have the accord links. I feel like my clunking HAS to be sway bar related I’ve done nothing else back there except a chassis brace that literally touches no moving parts
hmm…interesting
so i am going to try one last thing and that is loosen all end link connections and drop the car on the ground to load the suspension and tighten everything.

only thing that confuses me is their end links installation basically says it does not need to be pre-loaded…but also ive heard that its important when using the sway bar end links to line up perfectly with the sway bar when adjusting the end links.

atp…idk

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
+1 for make sure your adjustable whiteline end links are not bad. First set I got was defective. Even paid for them to be adjusted, thinking I was being stupid, but the shop said they were "just spinning". Called whiteline and they said to return them where I got them, so I did. Second set works but going forward going to use the accord end links.

OP
OP
ugaexploder

ugaexploder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
+1 for make sure your adjustable whiteline end links are not bad. First set I got was defective. Even paid for them to be adjusted, thinking I was being stupid, but the shop said they were "just spinning". Called whiteline and they said to return them where I got them, so I did. Second set works but going forward going to use the accord end links.
thanks brother. the accord end links are so cheap i might go ahead and order them so next time i mess with them i can have some working ones on hand.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
thanks brother. the accord end links are so cheap i might go ahead and order them so next time i mess with them i can have some working ones on hand.
My rears (whiteline 23mm sway bar) are the accord links no problem. I used the whiteline in the front because my oem were worse for wear.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Just want to add to this for anyone who has changed the sway bar in the front or rear. You need to lift the car up evenly to put the one side on and the top of the other side then put the car on the ground and then adjust the side you did not hook up to the swaybar so that the bolt falls straight into the hole in the swaybar then torque. I had a mechanic put in my front swaybar over 2 months ago and have been having this clunking over bumps. Brought it back to him to find nothing wrong. But then i watched a few you tube videos and finally figured it out. He had the endlinks about 1" to long. After i properley adjusted them i took a ride and it is like driving a new car. The steering the bumps with no noise smooth much smoother wow Check this out if you are having the same issues.
https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspension/the-correct-way-to-install-adjustable-end-links/

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Just want to add to this. So the noise came back. I used the eibach front links and they kept getting loose on the top where it bolts to the strut. Every time i turned the wheel to a full lock or just about the jam nut would hit the mounting tab and loosen up so i would tighten it and pulling out of my driveway loosened it up again so long story short went back to stock ones in the front and now no noise lol

LuDawg94

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX 1.5T (CVT) Sedan
Country flag
Ugh that’s not what I’m looking forward to dealing with. Been two weeks since I had a shop install the Whiteline 27mm front sway bar with the Whiteline adjustable front end links. At first thought maybe due to weight or needing to “break in” I just assumed it was maybe normal. After some long drives recently, the car is fine on smooth parts of the road but once it gets bumpy or going over dips I’ll hear the clunking noises & as though something is possibly loose. Reaching back to the shop to see if they’ll assist with trouble shooting the issue. Also installed the Type R RMM but doubt that’s what causing it. I’m on stock heights level with stock springs. Had other suspension mods done prior and had not issues at all.

Hoping it all gets cleared out otherwise it’s been expensive for me since the Front Sway bar didn’t come with bushings when I initially received it form Unity Perormance and didn’t know of it till the person at the shop let me know they could not install it, there went $650. Reached back to have the bushings shipped and then decided to get the Whiteline front end links since I was given a deal. So this was my 2nd time for getting it installed. It will suck having to find out if it is the front end links or the bar itself and having to go back to stock.

JDM importz

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si coupe
Country flag
On the Whiteline 22mm sway bar and end links, the company's generic literature fails to mention that putting a dab of Blue Loctite on the bolts connecting the end links to the sway bar will prevent one or both bolts that go through the sway bar from the end links from loosening up. Even a 1/4 of a turn of the nuts that the end links use can reportedly cause "clunking" as the sway bar has a lot of tortional moments placed on it. Whiteline also makes an anti-roll link it (KLL122) for $32 that prevents the sway bar from shifting laterally and possibly causing binding according to Whiteline. Hope that helps. It would be your easiest and quickest way to see if your sway bar/end links are causing the clunking that others have reported.
I had to use the kll122 because the front sway bar would shift from side to side and rub on the lca’s. they’re cheaper on Amazon I wanna say $23 or $24. Oo and def add loctite to everything from whiteline.
Sponsored