Rear Suspension Clunking

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
I was just at the dealership today for an unrelated problem and I brought up the new tsb for the clunking to the service advisor. He ordered the parts and should take 2 weeks to get. I'll update once the fix is done.
Yea im about to call them too.

Will also update once its done.
Sponsored

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:

Good news guys and girls.
I got the newly revised TSB done last week. Both Saturday and Sunday morning this weekend it was -20c (-4f) feels like -28c (-18f) and no more clunking from the rear suspension! Too bad it was fixed on the 3rd winter with my car. Also let's hope this fix lasts!

Another thing, the service advisor told me the top mounts were not cracked and the shocks were not leaking so no damage was done.

NeemEss

First Name
Neven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (sedan)
Country flag
As an update for anyone Stateside. I am in Minnesota. I went to the dealership yesterday for this yesterday, I am not sure if I got fleeced or not, still all very new to me.

I went to change my oil and to have them check out my rear clunking. When they(Inver Grove Honda) called me back, they said on paper, they will say the performed some service on the Shocks and added foam. When I look at the invoice again, I'll give more details. However, what actually happened was my rear seat was not fully latched after I had it down one day. They said they needed to mark it differently so I wouldn't get charge to the diagnosis. Seems a bit fishy to me.

Anyway, can anyone post a video or sound clip of their clunking? If you are experiencing, maybe check your seats? At the very least, it seems like my dealer was receptive to the Canadian TSB and information I gave them.

Good luck!

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Man, I was wondering why the rear suspension was so noisy/clunky this winter on cold days. I got my appointment next week!

Edit : Nevermind, parts are back-ordered lol

Last edited:

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You guys can call me crazy, but for 2 winters I had my rear clunking every freaking morning when it was right around freezing and below.... and it’s my 3rd winter now, just hit 40k miles and I didn’t hear it, not a single time... Since last winter all what changed in my Si was an installed cai, oil changes, transmission fluid change, brake fluid flush and swapped clutch line with stainless steel one and new tires... so somewhere along those changes happened to be a bandaid to this issue with clunking or it just wasn’t cold enough? Was sure damn cold to work outside this winter for me.

booswaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX (1.5L)
Country flag
You guys can call me crazy, but for 2 winters I had my rear clunking every freaking morning when it was right around freezing and below.... and it’s my 3rd winter now, just hit 40k miles and I didn’t hear it, not a single time... Since last winter all what changed in my Si was an installed cai, oil changes, transmission fluid change, brake fluid flush and swapped clutch line with stainless steel one and new tires... so somewhere along those changes happened to be a bandaid to this issue with clunking or it just wasn’t cold enough? Was sure damn cold to work outside this winter for me.
I’m having this same issue with my 2019 civic ex, it’s has been driving me crazy lol. I don’t remember hearing it in the summer. But there’s is some type of clunk/rattle in the rear of the vehicle that I can’t pinpoint.

Last edited:

booswaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As an update for anyone Stateside. I am in Minnesota. I went to the dealership yesterday for this yesterday, I am not sure if I got fleeced or not, still all very new to me.

I went to change my oil and to have them check out my rear clunking. When they(Inver Grove Honda) called me back, they said on paper, they will say the performed some service on the Shocks and added foam. When I look at the invoice again, I'll give more details. However, what actually happened was my rear seat was not fully latched after I had it down one day. They said they needed to mark it differently so I wouldn't get charge to the diagnosis. Seems a bit fishy to me.

Anyway, can anyone post a video or sound clip of their clunking? If you are experiencing, maybe check your seats? At the very least, it seems like my dealer was receptive to the Canadian TSB and information I gave them.

Good luck!
Here’s a video of my 19’ civic. Maybe it’s the same sound I’m hearing.

NeemEss

First Name
Neven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (sedan)
Country flag
Here’s a video of my 19’ civic. Maybe it’s the same sound I’m hearing.

Thanks for the video, that sounds exactly like mine does/did. I feel like mine got a bit better after the "Service" but I can't really tell if it's me or not. But mine still sounds like that!

booswaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the video, that sounds exactly like mine does/did. I feel like mine got a bit better after the "Service" but I can't really tell if it's me or not. But mine still sounds like that!
No problem, i have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. However I am wondering if even going is a waste of time. Cause I feel like the dealer might not take it seriously. I mean I know the civic is a budget friendly car but I feel like Honda definitely could’ve done slightly better with in the insulation department.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. 1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Country flag
Well, I still have not had a chance to replace the upper strut mounts, but they are clunking like crazy today, Its -8 outside. MN roads are at there worst so its pretty unbearable. I have had my struts swapped on both sides and the uppers replaced once under warranty. The real issue is the viscosity of the rear shocks in very cold weather overwhelms the upper strut mount rubber mount and the strut mounting point hits the outside of the strut mount. It gets slightly worst if you dare enable the sport mode, as dampening of the strut then gets slightly stiffer. I have the revised parts in hand, just really have no motivation to work in this cold weather. FWIW.. I don't think this would be a problem you would see in other variants of civic, the struts are unique to this model.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it free to do something in the TSB ? or you have to pay for it ?
Free. Just mention the problem and the TSB number mentioned above and they have no choice to do it.
They may want to replicate the problem as part of the diagnosis. My dealer didn't and just did the TSB. I complained ever winter though and had done the original TSB also though so it was in my file already.
Sponsored