burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update for anyone with the clunks in the cold, -15 F here the past 2 weeks and no clunks! The updated shock mounts are the fix!
I’m gonna replace mine just for the heck of it with some new hardware.
Sponsored

NeemEss

First Name
Neven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si (sedan)
Country flag
I just got my 2019 back from the dealership after they replaced the rear shock mount. As others have said, the problem is completely gone!

Last year I asked them about this, a tech took a ride with me and said he couldn't hear anything(it was warming up then). This time asked the dealership to look at it, regardless of any diagnostic fee, and they found the issue. Was still in warranty so I wasn't charged a cent. Hopefully this is the last time I have to talk about it.

zkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si (Sedan)
Country flag
Sorry I'm reviving this forum, but I just bought my 2019 Honda Civic Si sedan from the dealership and I'm hearing the rear clunking noise and it's so annoying.. It is a little cold here (about -15C average a day) and it's making the noise going over bumps.. I'm gonna suggest it's the rear shock/strut mounts like you've guys been saying in this forum cause my appts next Wednesday! I'll keep you guys updated

Wilyum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
have the clunking as described by everyone else here (2019 LX) but doesn’t change with temperature, replaced the sway bar link, nothing changed, took out the strut and the mount, drove around the block and the noise was gone, so figure its either one of the two. The strut looked good, no leaking, still had pressure so I replaced the mount ($115CAD with shipping) like everyone else here has with success, but the noise is still there. Any other solutions? My next step is to swap the two struts and see if the clunking has moved to the other side, then ill know its the strut.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Swap the shocks (not struts) and mounts. Then swap back the mounts/bushings if the noise follows to the other side. Only other thing that comes to mind is the LCA or trailing arm bushing.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Now that the temperature where I live has been staying around or below 0 the rear suspension has been clunking over bumps, anyone else have this issue? It goes away when the weather warms up above 10-15 degrees.
This is a problem that Honda has known about since the first Civic X cars were released into the frozen north. I had mine replaced under a TSB from Honda Canada (my local dealer in MA honored it).

It came right back after the "fix" and I don't even think about it any more. It's a dampening material at the top of the rear stuts that becomes too hard in cold weather.

Last edited:

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
I had the clunking noise in the rear driver side on my '19 Si with 60K miles in the South, so no "cold" weather. It was the upper shock mount. I think I paid about $50 for it... The clunking was annoying AF.... Changed it out while installing my new BC Racing coils..

No further clunking.. I originally thought it was the strut since I was lowered on Eibach Sportlines...

Steeda21

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I have a 2017 and hondapartshq says 52670-TBG-A01, but someone mentioned the updated version is 52670-TBF-A11.
I’m gonna take a gander and say the mounts from 16-21 are the same. So I should go with the A11?
Sponsored