First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey All!
This is my first post on the site and thought I’d share my experience with my 2020 si that I bought in October. I have a loud clunking noise when going over bumps especially with lane markers. The noise seems to be coming from the driver side suspension.

I took it into Tempe Honda last week and they said it was a faulty driver side strut that needed to be replaced due to an air bubble. The service advisor said, “its a $1200 part by the way and your getting an alignment out of it.” Not sure how that is supposed to matter to me considering a brand new car covered under warranty? They replaced the strut on Saturday and after picking it up, it continued to make the same noise and there was no difference in the way the car drove with the so called faulty strut and the new one. Took it back into the dealership yesterday evening and had the service manager drive it with me. He heard the noise and said that he thought it was the brake caliper so he greased it. He then attempted to hand me my keys when I asked him to keep the car until it is fixed.

This left me without transportation unless I wanted to rent a car from the dealership for $35/day. He also advised me that they do not have loaner vehicles. The service advisor called me this afternoon to tell me my car was fixed and proceeded to tell me that this is a normal noise as they compared it with another Si that has 150 miles on it. I told him you would have thought I bought a 90s Kia and I am not sure what to do at this point. He said that the customer service number is in my owners manual and I can also contact the service director at Tempe Honda. The service manager also returned my call and left me a voicemail saying that they packed the brake caliper with grease and it seemed to help and my car was ready to be picked up. I thought to myself, finally, it’s fixed.

This is making me rethink my loyalty to the Honda brand as I should not have to be posting this or dealing with this issue on a brand new car. I have since submitted a complaint to American Honda corporation and have yet to hear back. Just thought I’d share my experience to hopefully get this circulating on the lack of concern shown from Tempe Honda and the Honda motor corporation. Let me know if anyone else has had the same issue. Car is 100 percent stock with no modifications. thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Hey All!
This is my first post on the site and thought I’d share my experience with my 2020 si that I bought in October. I have a loud clunking noise when going over bumps especially with lane markers. The noise seems to be coming from the driver side suspension.

I took it into Tempe Honda last week and they said it was a faulty driver side strut that needed to be replaced due to an air bubble. The service advisor said, “its a $1200 part by the way and your getting an alignment out of it.” Not sure how that is supposed to matter to me considering a brand new car covered under warranty? They replaced the strut on Saturday and after picking it up, it continued to make the same noise and there was no difference in the way the car drove with the so called faulty strut and the new one. Took it back into the dealership yesterday evening and had the service manager drive it with me. He heard the noise and said that he thought it was the brake caliper so he greased it. He then attempted to hand me my keys when I asked him to keep the car until it is fixed. This left me without transportation unless I wanted to rent a car from the dealership for $35/day. He also advised me that they do not have loaner vehicles. The service advisor called me this afternoon to tell me my car was fixed and proceeded to tell me that this is a normal noise as they compared it with another Si that has 150 miles on it. I told him you would have thought I bought a 90s Kia and I am not sure what to do at this point. He said that the customer service number is in my owners manual and I can also contact the service director at Tempe Honda. The service manager also returned my call and left me a voicemail saying that they packed the brake caliper with grease and it seemed to help and my car was ready to be picked up. I thought to myself, finally, it’s fixed. This is the video I just took after picking it up from the dealership. This is making me rethink my loyalty to the Honda brand as I should not have to be posting this or dealing with this issue on a brand new car. I have since submitted a complaint to American Honda corporation and have yet to hear back. Just thought I’d share my experience to hopefully get this circulating on the lack of concern shown from Tempe Honda and the Honda motor corporation. Let me know if anyone else has had the same issue. Car is 100 percent stock with no modifications.
Well, did greasing the caliper solve the issue?

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
When I was in the market I looked at the Si and did research. There are many stories about this clunking sound on the forum. Some say it's mostly in cold weather or something. This is the reason why I didn't get one. That would drive me crazy. Hope you get it fixed.

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check your rear sway bar end links and make sure they are tight.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I had the brake caliper/pad noise on my car, so perhaps they were trying a suggested fix.

An easy way to test that noise is if you drive over a section of bumpy pavement with then without the brake lightly applied. If you lightly brake and go over the bumps and the rattling disappears know it is the brake pad rattling.

Also, please use paragraphs.

OP
OP

BaymaxSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had the brake caliper/pad noise on my car, so perhaps they were trying a suggested fix.

An easy way to test that noise is if you drive over a section of bumpy pavement with then without the brake lightly applied. If you lightly brake and go over the bumps and the rattling disappears know it is the brake pad rattling.

Also, please use paragraphs.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried this and the rattling noise went away while placing my foot slightly on the brakes while going over the bumps. I am not exactly savvy when it comes to parts but what would a solution be? Also, I edited with paragraphs, thanks again!

OP
OP

BaymaxSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It might be my browser or work blocking things, but i dont see a video.
Sorry about that! Im having technical difficulties getting it to post. here is a link:

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried this and the rattling noise went away while placing my foot slightly on the brakes while going over the bumps. I am not exactly savvy when it comes to parts but what would a solution be? Also, I edited with paragraphs, thanks again!

To solve my brake noise issue, I installed extra brake pad springs, along with a lot of silicone brake grease. My 2017 SI only had the springs on the top. But now I have them on both top and bottom as shown in this pic. (below is is not a Civic but same concept)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si Suspension Clunking Noise IMG_1093_Large_

I used the springs from this kit
https://www.carid.com/carlson/front-disc-brake-hardware-kit-mpn-h5919.html

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
To solve my brake noise issue, I installed extra brake pad springs, along with a lot of silicone brake grease. My 2017 SI only had the springs on the top. But now I have them on both top and bottom as shown in this pic. (below is is not a Civic but same concept)

IMG_1093_Large_.jpg

I used the springs from this kit
https://www.carid.com/carlson/front-disc-brake-hardware-kit-mpn-h5919.html
I think I'm having some rear brake problems as well. My car creaks from the rear whenever I exit the car with the e-brake applied. Also when ever I'm reversing and hit the brakes the rear brakes creak, or when I'm on a slight hill and the hill start assist disengages when I move, the rear brakes creak. Do you think it is the same situation as yours?

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I think I'm having some rear brake problems as well. My car creaks from the rear whenever I exit the car with the e-brake applied. Also when ever I'm reversing and hit the brakes the rear brakes creak, or when I'm on a slight hill and the hill start assist disengages when I move, the rear brakes creak. Do you think it is the same situation as yours?
No, sorry. We are talking about a metal to metal clanking noise while driving. But GL finding your solution!
Sponsored