Rear Suspension Clunking

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I live up north and have taken my car in for whats probably the 5th time. Apparently there's a Honda Service Bulletin B-1-19 which was released 25 October 19.

Not entirely sure what they're replacing, I'll report back. Unfortunately given my remote location pars may take awhile.
Sponsored

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I live up north and have taken my car in for whats probably the 5th time. Apparently there's a Honda Service Bulletin B-1-19 which was released 25 October 19.

Not entirely sure what they're replacing, I'll report back. Unfortunately given my remote location pars may take awhile.
where up north you live ? I’m in NY, I’m going to the dealership Saturday I’m over this noise already.

OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I
Is anyone able to get the Honda Service Bulletin B-1-19 in pdf like the first one?
It must be a Canadian service bulletin again because I don’t see any TSB on the NHTSA website for the issue which is really unfortunate.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I have a 2018 LX sedan and my car does the same thing over bumps. I live in Texas so it’s mostly warm here and I still hear it over decent size bumps. I thought it was just the jack and stuff that sits in that foam piece that just sits on top of my spare tire in the trunk. It just sits in there loose, it doesn’t clamp down. So I figured it is just bouncing around in there every time I hit a big bump because that’s really what it sounds like in my car. I haven’t had a chance to confirm this but I really do think that’s what it is. I did open it up and grabbed that foam piece and picked it up and dropped it to simulate a big bump and it makes a similar sound so I really do think that’s what it is.

OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I have a 2018 LX sedan and my car does the same thing over bumps. I live in Texas so it’s mostly warm here and I still hear it over decent size bumps. I thought it was just the jack and stuff that sits in that foam piece that just sits on top of my spare tire in the trunk. It just sits in there loose, it doesn’t clamp down. So I figured it is just bouncing around in there every time I hit a big bump because that’s really what it sounds like in my car. I haven’t had a chance to confirm this but I really do think that’s what it is. I did open it up and grabbed that foam piece and picked it up and dropped it to simulate a big bump and it makes a similar sound so I really do think that’s what it is.
The si has some different suspension components then the general civic so it is a separate issue and they don’t have a spare tire. Plus Honda issued a tsb for this issue already once but retracted it after it didn’t work confirming the issue. This clunking only occurs below 15-20f typically, if the car is put in a warm garage the issue disappears until it readjusts with the outside temp on a drive.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The si has some different suspension components then the general civic so it is a separate issue and they don’t have a spare tire. Plus Honda issued a tsb for this issue already once but retracted it after it didn’t work confirming the issue. This clunking only occurs below 15-20f typically, if the car is put in a warm garage the issue disappears until it readjusts with the outside temp on a drive.
That is true that the suspension is different, which is why I say it may not be a suspension problem. The Si does not have a spare like I do but it still has a foam piece in the trunk that holds the sealant, air pump, and a couple other things. I’m sure it is only held down by gravity just like mine. So every time you hit a big enough bump it just bounces it around making the sound. Like I said I haven’t confirmed this by removing it and driving around big bumps. But the sound it makes when you pick it up and drop it sounds the same so I just assumed that’s what it was. And mine will do it any time I hit a big bump, not just when cold. I live in Texas and the first time I heard it was going over railroad tracks and it was 70 degrees outside

ZEEE Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI, 72 Z-28
Country flag
That is true that the suspension is different, which is why I say it may not be a suspension problem. The Si does not have a spare like I do but it still has a foam piece in the trunk that holds the sealant, air pump, and a couple other things. I’m sure it is only held down by gravity just like mine. So every time you hit a big enough bump it just bounces it around making the sound. Like I said I haven’t confirmed this by removing it and driving around big bumps. But the sound it makes when you pick it up and drop it sounds the same so I just assumed that’s what it was. And mine will do it any time I hit a big bump, not just when cold. I live in Texas and the first time I heard it was going over railroad tracks and it was 70 degrees outside[/QUOTE]

I live in Canada and the Si does come with a spare tire. The rear suspension clunk drove me crazy last winter and has again returned this season since it turned cold. I have removed the spare tire and all it's hardeware to drive around town and it's definitely not the problem. I have removed the rear sway bar (5 min job) and the noise is still there, so you can eliminate those 2 things. There's an earlier post stating there is a new upper strut mount # for the 2020 Si but my dealer says it's not available yet, that will be my next option.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is true that the suspension is different, which is why I say it may not be a suspension problem. The Si does not have a spare like I do but it still has a foam piece in the trunk that holds the sealant, air pump, and a couple other things. I’m sure it is only held down by gravity just like mine. So every time you hit a big enough bump it just bounces it around making the sound. Like I said I haven’t confirmed this by removing it and driving around big bumps. But the sound it makes when you pick it up and drop it sounds the same so I just assumed that’s what it was. And mine will do it any time I hit a big bump, not just when cold. I live in Texas and the first time I heard it was going over railroad tracks and it was 70 degrees outside

I live in Canada and the Si does come with a spare tire. The rear suspension clunk drove me crazy last winter and has again returned this season since it turned cold. I have removed the spare tire and all it's hardeware to drive around town and it's definitely not the problem. I have removed the rear sway bar (5 min job) and the noise is still there, so you can eliminate those 2 things. There's an earlier post stating there is a new upper strut mount # for the 2020 Si but my dealer says it's not available yet, that will be my next option.[/QUOTE]
Is this someone else’s quote? Or was this your experience?

ZEEE Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI, 72 Z-28
Country flag
Sorry mvela, I was supposed to mark your quote in my reply. That is my experience with the noise yes.

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So after inquiring I've been told the most probably cause is "insufficient noise isolation from the rear damper mounting base". Apparently there is a new damper mounting base to install.

I'm not a mechanic, I don't know if this is related to the revised part we were talking about previously but given its currently -34c ambient here I'll know pretty damn quick if the issue is resolved or not.

Of course still awaiting parts, Christmas season is approaching fast and you bet im flying home so I doubt it'll happen this month. I'll keep you all posted when the repair is in and what the results were.

Bastien.E

First Name
Fritz Bastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Honda Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Hey everyone, I just got back my si today from the dealership. Ive had the same rear suspension knock since the temperature here in winnipeg dropped below -5 degrees celsius. So I brought it in and they confirmed that they hear the knocking/clunking sound and said to have fixed it by removing the rear strut cap. While driving home, the knocking came right back.

Seems like a very common problem as I was talking to a mechanic at the dealer and he has the same car as me, and has the same suspension knock. I dont know if honda has issued a fix for this but right now my only course of action is to keep bringing it back to the dealer and maybe they could figure something out.

Driving a '19 si sedan

Last edited:

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Since dealerships haven’t figured this one out for you guys for a 3rd winter now while I was just patiently waiting for that post with capital “SOLVED!!!”... I’m going to dig into this myself. I’m waiting for my clunking to come back and I might slap some kind of camera recorded underneath by suspension and see what visual clues I can get.

I also think that it might be something with excessive condensation somewhere, which freeze and restricts some kind of movement and causes clunking sound. In my Si clunking goes away once the car is on a road for a while, which makes me think that some kind of heat is produced by suspension movement and that is enough to get the water melting. This is just a speculation.

But my clunking haven’t got back yet... Temperatures been below 32 for at least few mornings now. Only 2 changes since last winter - lots of new asphalt for the most part in the area and new brake fluid...

Bastien.E

First Name
Fritz Bastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Honda Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Hey everyone, I just got back my si today from the dealership. Ive had the same rear suspension knock since the temperature here in winnipeg dropped below -5 degrees celsius. So I brought it in and they confirmed that they hear the knocking/clunking sound and said to have fixed it by removing the rear strut cap. While driving home, the knocking came right back.

Seems like a very common problem as I was talking to a mechanic at the dealer and he has the same car as me, and has the same suspension knock. I dont know if honda has issued a fix for this but right now my only course of action is to keep bringing it back to the dealer and maybe they could figure something out.

Driving a '19 si sedan
Hey guys update on my case.
I called honda canada this morning and they said that they have a new bulletin for the rear suspension knocking. They mentioned something about replacing locking nuts in the struts and installing some foam (thats all i remember). Im not really sure what those two new parts will do but when I heard "foam" I assumed it was for sound insulation but I am not really sure.

My dealer did not know about this new bulletin so honda canada went ahead and contacted them to get them updated.

So PLEASE guys call honda canada and they will contact your dealer about the new bulletin if in case they still dont know about it.

My dealer now placed orders for those parts as alot of people have the same clunking suspension problem. The only thing is they told me that those new parts are on "NATIONAL BACKORDER" so its gonna take "awhile" for them to arrive. They dont have a time frame on when it will arrive but I'll keep everyone posted.
Sponsored