Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So this guy was part of the 10th gen development team and recommends BOV's? I wonder why Honda went with a BPV especially considering how vital Bisi's input is to Honda engineering decisions.

Additionally Derek's YouTube comments WERE deleted yet were profanity free.

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

I hope that Honda and Youtube reps can come here to verify/explain things for us.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I love how half the vid is about how good the TurboSmart is. Lost all respect for Bisi.

These things are even worse on the R because of the significantly more involved cylinder filling based air model that necessitates even more accurate metering.

I’ll write an in depth article tonight on why BOVs are bad.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I love how half the vid is about how good the TurboSmart is. Lost all respect for Bisi.

These things are even worse on the R because of the significantly more involved cylinder filling based air model that necessitates even more accurate metering.

I’ll write an in depth article tonight on why BOVs are bad.
You're going to love this. I found this interesting exchange on YouTube:

Honda Civic 10th gen Oh no...Not another BOV thread Screenshot_20201124-140322

Fairly obvious what is going on here.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You're going to love this. I found this interesting exchange on YouTube:

Screenshot_20201124-140322.png

Fairly obvious what is going on here.
What annoys me the most is that Bisi isn't an idiot. He knows full well how MAF+MAP techniques work and what should be shown but simply says 'honda has more advanced techniques or something' in order to sell the BOV without ever explaining what any of it means. If he DID explain it, people with half a brain would realize it's a horrible fucking idea, ESPECIALLY on the R.

Yes, correction techniques meant to resolve non ideal and intermittent scenarios exist in these new ECUs. It mostly corrects for the problem these BOVs introduce but only once it has happened and ran rich. Correction techniques should never be relied on to run a modification as they are reactive and not proactive. BOVs cannot be properly implemented unless it has its own MAF sensor attached and the ECU uses it. That’s a basic fundamental fact of what we’re dealing with.

He brags about how his dyno shows everything, and yet doesn't show the main things this BOV would affect. He constantly parrots how "the data doesn't lie", but pulls the wool over his viewers eyes and doesn't actually show the relevant data, while laughing in a condescending manner at us 10th gen experts in his video. A dyno wideband doesnt show shit for this. Horsepower gains, whether real or not, mean nothing. A 5hp gain is within the margin of error and also mean nothing on these cars due to the numerous techniques in use that can affect power output for literally hundreds of uncontrollable and indeterminate reasons.

Where's the fuel trims? Boost pressure command vs actual boost pressure? Wastegate control? Literally nothing that would prove or disprove this ‘myth’ is shown. Just some basic dyno runs and zero real data.

This is a well produced and 100% misleading advertisement for TurboSmart.

Last edited:

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
The only way you can get horses from a BOV is if when Installed removes a leake from the stock plastic piece. When the stock dyno was completed ... We have a factory freak. LOL ... I have 12 inch penis creme ... I got 14! LOL

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Oh, no. Just in time

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
I know this thread is focused on the OP video and BOVs. However, since there's a lot of people in this thread that are knowledgeable and have more experience than I do, I would like to pose the question. What is everyone's thoughts on aftermarket BPVs being that the stock platform uses a BPV?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I know this thread is focused on the OP video and BOVs. However, since there's a lot of people in this thread that are knowledgeable and have more experience than I do, I would like to pose the question. What is everyone's thoughts on aftermarket BPVs being that the stock platform uses a BPV?
If it modifies spring rates or anything, the ECU won’t know how to use it properly and we don’t have the ability to tune for it.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh, no. Just in time
At least Edge makes no bones about the fact that they are selling parts and addresses people's concerns about vta

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think its pointless unless you can show your BPV is broken or leaking boost. People are running very high boost on the stock BPV with no issues. Save your money.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
whos mans lmao

I'd feel so bad for the person that watches this video thinking it's ok to run a BOV

my buddy ran one for literally 3 weeks now many months later he's still dealing with occasional misfiring issues on his 2020

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
whos mans lmao

I'd feel so bad for the person that watches this video thinking it's ok to run a BOV

my buddy ran one for literally 3 weeks now many months later he's still dealing with occasional misfiring issues on his 2020
who’s mans is right, lmao. mans gone and pissed off every single 10th gen tuner because we have to constantly explain this and now some celebrity tuner with literally one, maybe two 10th gens under his belt wants to laugh at us like we’re stupid (literally, listen to how he talks about us) while spreading horridly bad misinformation in the name of a paycheck

honestly can’t believe Honda lended him their press car for this garbage. Hey Honda, can I get another R for testing? ?

OP
OP
JO3L

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the engaging discussion and @gtman for laying out all the facts that has been reported by many well respected members of the community. This thread was created with the intent to hopefully put an end to any doubt and stop new threads from coming up if people just can learn to search first. I have run a VTA BOV myself for a short period of time and felt at WOT the car didn't feel right. The data I pulled showed higher short term fuel trim which supports the richer AFR mixture resulting in installing these parts. I just found it very shocking somebody I have much respect for would come out saying these types of things in the first place.
Sponsored