Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Starting one of these so that I have everything in one place. So first things first, pics from when we were brand new, fresh from the dealer

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20180425_161726
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20180425_161720

More to come

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basic information:

2018 Civic Si Lunar Silver Metallic L15B7 6 speed MT

Current exterior mods:
  • Lamin-x orange fog light vinyl
  • Premium auto styling yellow fog light vinyl. Too thin. Bubbled and crinkled
  • Lamin-x yellow fog light vinyl
  • GRFXP light smoke headlight vinyl
  • Helix smoked amber/white (I have both ?) sidemarker
  • Vinyl wrap chrome delete, Khrome Delete
  • OEM Crystal Black Pearl side mirror skull caps
  • Suma Performance side mirrors
  • PIAA wiper blades
  • ESR RF1 wheels 18x9.5 +35 offset
  • General G-MAX AS-05 245/40
  • Continental extreme contact DWS 06 plus 255/35
  • BMSpec front lip
  • Type R front lower brace
  • Eibach prokit lowering springs
  • PRL tower brace
  • Cusco power brace
  • Whiteline rear sway bar
Elecronics mods:
  • Orion component speakers in rear deck
  • CDT midbass in doors
  • Peerless ring radiator tweeters
  • Dayton Audio aluminum cone center channel
  • AudioControl acm-1.300
  • Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22 subwoofer in custom fiberglass fender well enclosure
  • DRL+FOG+Highbeam module
  • DDM hid drop in
  • Yellow led high beam bulbs
  • TypeRLeds interior full swap
  • TypeRLeds extra bright reverse lights
  • Ktuner
  • TSP stage 1
  • Custom street tune
Powertrain mods:
  • Ikon engine bay skirts (+5hp baby)
  • BMS intake
  • Mishimoto/PRL intake tube (I like to go back and forth between different colors)
  • PRL cobra with race MAF
  • 27won TIP
  • AF Dynamic intake heat shield
  • PRL intercooler and charge pipes
  • MHI TD03 turbo swap
  • PRL WiFi flex fuel kit
Drivetrain mods:
  • Type R shifter assembly
  • Hybrid Racing shifter
  • Acuity centering spring, rocker, base bushings, shifter collar, shifter cable bushings
  • Hybrid Racing detent springs
  • Mishimoto carbon fiber shift knob
  • Acuity ESCO shift knob
  • PRL white delrin shift knob
  • Exedy stage 2 clutch
  • Exedy lightweight flywheel
Interior mods:
  • Leather diamond embroidered pattern quilted mats
  • Old school logo dashboard bling
  • Suma performance rearview mirror
Mods to come:
  • Type R RMM (awaiting install)
  • Whiteline adjustable front lower ball joints
  • Kicker comp c 4 dvc 8
  • PRL Frontpipe
  • Free flowing grill
  • Carbon fiber steering wheel
More pics to come as well as thoughts on progress

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Is the lighting distance on those amber high beams better than stock or the same ?

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is the lighting distance on those amber high beams better than stock or the same ?
The lighting distance on the amber high beams is awful lol

Yellow and stock worked much much better, but the amber look SO damn cool.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_073106

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_073127

Luckily the hid work so well I rarely ever need high beams. I'll try them on some country roads to be sure though.

They were cheap enough I might try another brand and see if a different chip array will light better

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

IMG_20191005_073106.jpg

IMG_20191005_073127.jpg

Luckily the hid work so well I rarely ever need high beams. I'll try them on some country roads to be sure though.

They were cheap enough I might try another brand and see if a different chip array will light better
Have you considered going back to stock, and then add an orange filter . ?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag

IMG_20191005_073106.jpg

IMG_20191005_073127.jpg

The reason I asked I leave work three in the morning and drive down some dark highways until I hit the town I live in which is 20 miles of darkness. They definitely look cool :thumbsup:

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I first got my Si, the first thing I felt that was glaringly missing was deep bass response. I loved everything about driving it compared to the Nissan Frontier I was coming from. The sound system and bothered me though. The mid and high bass were adequate and the tweeters were harsh, but what I really missed from a lot of my play selections was drop.

After a bit of lurking I found the tweeter replacement thread. I was off running from there. Further searches led me to various bass threads and the popular under seat solutions. I wanted to have something that would pack a bigger punch but still keep trunk space in tact. I first looked into the possibility of a free air install. The selection of subs that fit the specs and power requirements are limited. I found one that I was going to attempt using, but found the ins and outs of performing such an install were beyond my comfort level and tools available. I decided to bite the bullet and opt to pay for a custom fiberglass box. For my wants and desires, WORTH EVERY STINKING PENNY.

I wish I took pics during the install, but I have a couple post to give an idea of how things are. (Foams and foam tape get a little distorted after mounting :confused1:)

I started with a couple sets of inexpensive components that have been a great high sensitivity, bang for the buck solution, the Orion Cobalt series. It's a shame they've been discontinued for the shoddy Ztreet lineup of products. I installed them with some Stinger fast rings in the doors and DEI Boom mat in the trunk and rear deck. Shoring up rattles in the rear deck took foam tape and some neoprene rubber along the edges of the deck lid between both the glass and lid as well as the lid and the deck itself.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_172859

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_173610

Honestly, and I've mentioned this in other people's threads about upgrading the Si system, I could have stopped here and been satisfied, but I had already purchased the amplifier and sub. I opted to let a shop finish the job with installing and tuning these parts.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_074038

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181112_121835

Later on I got a bug and decided to add center channel upgrade. The soundstage felt a little forward to me, so I set to searching for what other members chose. I like JL fine, I just know that I didn't need to spend JL money on the center channel. I decided on another bang for the buck brand, American Bass for the speaker. I liked that it had a separate tweeter with a capacitor and that it was lower sensitivity. For the install, I used foam tape and got a baffle as well. Very VERY happy with the outcome. Much more balanced, and I had no idea how muddy the stock speaker was.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_173201

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191005_173356

Things I would do differently?
I would have listened to the other threads and not even attempted the free air route. I would have taken pictures of the entire process. I'm bad about only taking a couple, then posting stuff that's only kinda helpful and not thoroughly super helpful

The space saver box has given great fidelity in a small space and kept my trunk usable. I might get a set of matching voices for the doors, deck, and center, but, that won't be until the current setup dies.

Have you considered going back to stock, and then add an orange filter . ?
You mean like vinyl wrap on the headlight cover, or the type that slips over the bulb itself?

The reason I asked I leave work three in the morning and drive down some dark highways until I hit the town I live in which is 20 miles of darkness. They definitely look cool :thumbsup:
Yellow in the highs worked great on back woods roads. I nearly went yellow fogs to go with yellow high beams before I found the amber bulbs. I still might ;)

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tales in lighting part one

I got a job that was making me commute 200+ miles 3 to 4 days a week. My truck was a road warrior. In addition to daily commutes, it had covered bi annual 1200 mile trips from South Florida to the Smokey mountains and back for 15 years. After a few months of travel, it had a couple pieces break and confidence in its reliability began to shrink. So, I purchased my Si as a road warrior.

I addressed the music need for such tripping.I had no idea the toll it would take on the exterior. I wish I had done ppf, but I didn't find it about it until the damage had been done to the front end paint. I did get Lamin-x protective vinyl for the fogs and Grfxp overlays for the headlights before a rock could do something horrible.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181122_082828

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181122_084455

I was really undecided as to coloring for my fogs. All the cool kids had yellow. I liked the thought of pink. It's great with silver and not seen often. It's also very Subaru

Amber is very trucky. I always liked truckers' abundant running lights. A lot of overland rigs run amber. I figured I'd give it a shot

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181127_171812

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181208_183208

I absolutely enjoy the glow they give the view while driving, especially with stock halogen headlights.

After applying light smoke overlays to my headlight covers, I noticed a sharp drop in light output. I could have opted for clear, but clear tends to yellow in a dingy way.

I had to get brighter headlights!

More to come...

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I like what you've done. Going heavier on the useful, functional mods and just a few cosmetic changes here and there. I don't know if you could ever say an Si is a sleeper, but yours is going in that direction.

Very nice. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tales in lighting part 2:
The Quest for Brighter Headlights

Once some protective tint was applied to my headlights, the already somewhat lacking light output became seriously lacking. Having baked open and painted headlights in the past, I didn't really feel like doing full retrofit. A plug and play option was needed. After looking through garage profiles, looking over a few threads, reading countless product reviews, and a few website tests (and checking my wallet), I decided to give PnP led drop in lights a shot.

For the cost, Morimoto, Diode Dynamics, and even the top line Hikari seemed a little pricey compared to HID. After a convincing article on Bulbfacts, I decided to give Katana led a try. Initially I was encouraged.
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190106_133020

They looked white(ish).

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190106_170050

They seemed to have an ok pattern.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190106_170037

But, compared to the stock halogens, maybe not?

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190106_165230

I tried to live with them for a few days, but they really didn't seem to light up the road very well. Stock halogens from other cars in traffic seemed brighter. I also noticed holes in the beam pattern.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190106_175556

They have a nice sharp cutoff so at least they weren't blinding anyone.
Maybe I needed to adjust how they were seated. Maybe I needed to adjust the angle. They just didn't look bright enough to me. Looking back at pictures, they weren't horrible, and after I put stock bulbs back in , I noticed the Katana led were an improvement. I think they were mostly too blue for my taste. The quest continued...

I started to read through the epic LED vs HID thread (it's very informative), and every other headlight thread I could find. I happened upon a post showing DDM ballasts with Morimoto bulbs.(Thanks @NoKz )The total buy in was the same as the Katana bulbs I just bought. I figured it couldn't be worse, so I did it ( F my wallet ).

I ended up getting a full DDM kit. It took three excruciating weeks for delivery from China...

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190125_111345

The kit came adequately packed. The wiring has nice sleeves and the ballasts allow for many mounting options. I used 3m outdoor mounting tape and placed them above the wheel wells under my engine bay skirts/wings.

Nice white color

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190210_181934

They also had a much better pattern with better fill and the same sharp cutoff
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190125_180616

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190209_205151

They do seem to have a small hole in about the same place the Kitana bulbs but overall, the pattern is wider and throws a great deal further down the road.

I have Xenon Depot bulbs for when these burn out. Anecdotally they are brighter. I'll update whenever that happens ;)

I could see outside in front of me. After looking at more posts and threads (this is an ongoing theme here, and I know I'm not the only one), I became painfully aware of how inadequate my interior lighting was

More to come...

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I first got my Si, the first thing I felt that was glaringly missing was deep bass response. I loved everything about driving it compared to the Nissan Frontier I was coming from. The sound system and bothered me though. The mid and high bass were adequate and the tweeters were harsh, but what I really missed from a lot of my play selections was drop.

After a bit of lurking I found the tweeter replacement thread. I was off running from there. Further searches led me to various bass threads and the popular under seat solutions. I wanted to have something that would pack a bigger punch but still keep trunk space in tact. I first looked into the possibility of a free air install. The selection of subs that fit the specs and power requirements are limited. I found one that I was going to attempt using, but found the ins and outs of performing such an install were beyond my comfort level and tools available. I decided to bite the bullet and opt to pay for a custom fiberglass box. For my wants and desires, WORTH EVERY STINKING PENNY.

I wish I took pics during the install, but I have a couple post to give an idea of how things are. (Foams and foam tape get a little distorted after mounting :confused1:)

I started with a couple sets of inexpensive components that have been a great high sensitivity, bang for the buck solution, the Orion Cobalt series. It's a shame they've been discontinued for the shoddy Ztreet lineup of products. I installed them with some Stinger fast rings in the doors and DEI Boom mat in the trunk and rear deck. Shoring up rattles in the rear deck took foam tape and some neoprene rubber along the edges of the deck lid between both the glass and lid as well as the lid and the deck itself.

IMG_20191005_172859.jpg

IMG_20191005_173610.jpg

Honestly, and I've mentioned this in other people's threads about upgrading the Si system, I could have stopped here and been satisfied, but I had already purchased the amplifier and sub. I opted to let a shop finish the job with installing and tuning these parts.

IMG_20191005_074038.jpg

IMG_20181112_121835.jpg

Later on I got a bug and decided to add center channel upgrade. The soundstage felt a little forward to me, so I set to searching for what other members chose. I like JL fine, I just know that I didn't need to spend JL money on the center channel. I decided on another bang for the buck brand, American Bass for the speaker. I liked that it had a separate tweeter with a capacitor and that it was lower sensitivity. For the install, I used foam tape and got a baffle as well. Very VERY happy with the outcome. Much more balanced, and I had no idea how muddy the stock speaker was.

IMG_20191005_173201.jpg

IMG_20191005_173356.jpg

Things I would do differently?
I would have listened to the other threads and not even attempted the free air route. I would have taken pictures of the entire process. I'm bad about only taking a couple, then posting stuff that's only kinda helpful and not thoroughly super helpful

The space saver box has given great fidelity in a small space and kept my trunk usable. I might get a set of matching voices for the doors, deck, and center, but, that won't be until the current setup dies.

You mean like vinyl wrap on the headlight cover, or the type that slips over the bulb itself?

Yellow in the highs worked great on back woods roads. I nearly went yellow fogs to go with yellow high beams before I found the amber bulbs. I still might ;)
I’ve never heard of that Orion series before. They are super cheap, which always made me hesitant. I had Polk dB components in my last car and loved them. Any idea how this Orion setup compares?

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve never heard of that Orion series before. They are super cheap, which always made me hesitant. I had Polk dB components in my last car and loved them. Any idea how this Orion setup compares?
The Cobalt amps and subs were great bang for the buck. XTR and HCCA are still known for high output burping

The Polk tweeters are going to be considerably more accurate. They are silk domes, whereas the Cobalt set are just mylar PEI (polymer). I had to get away from the harsh stock tweets

The Cobalt midbass are really good though

Unfortunately they are discontinued and getting harder to find

Last edited:
OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like what you've done. Going heavier on the useful, functional mods and just a few cosmetic changes here and there. I don't know if you could ever say an Si is a sleeper, but yours is going in that direction.

Very nice. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words. Subtle is what I'm aiming for :cool:

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even further adventures in lighting AND other details (mostly other details)

As I've previously discussed, I feel I mostly have my headlight situation worked out. I have good vinyl protection. I have hid drop in headlights that really light the road up. I'll get into high beams and personal aesthetic later

I shifted my attention to the interior details with this car. My comfort in my cabin so to speak

While shopping on GRFXP for overlays and an illusive discontinued label decal, I found another that reminded me of the 64 Galaxie 500 I had back in the nighties. I got it. I couldn't resist

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181219_162842

I know it's just a plastic decal, but it reminds me of details old cars had that I wish new ones had.

Around this time I was also looking at the shift knob thread and lamenting the fire duck ball my own shifter was during the middle of South Carolina August. Tons of folks were praising the glory of heavy heavy knobs. I wanted to know what this was about. The thing is, all these over pound shift knobs are billet or stainless or something else that's going to make my hand hate me, or two hundred dollars

I wanted CF because, it wouldn't get hot, and well, I think it looks cool. The Si interior is kinda cf-y. I never had fancy CF parts before and figured now is the time. I wanted one that said SPOON because I loved that hatch in gt2 ,or Mugen because gt2, or really anything that made me think of NFS or gt2...

I ended up with a Mishimoto knob

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181112_121737

It has a nice fiber pattern. The finish is clean. It's not very heavy, but it's shape is pleasant and I found it to improve my shifting experience.

Cons... Well the adapter is plastic, and it is very very very soft. Every time I've had to remove it, I've had to mar it up with pliers. It's annoying.

The thing is, I've tried a couple other knobs, and they don't feel as good or look as nice (or they aren't in stock for me to try...)

So for now, it's what I'm running with

While this was going on, I started to notice how fast the factory high wall all weather mats were wearing, fast. I had just seen coverage from the Detroit auto show a video was featuring The floor mats in Chinese auto manufacturer rides. Had me sold. eBay and Alibaba have them and they are with the wait.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190214_161330

Leather baby!

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190214_151423

They've since smoothed and stretched out. Which I'm glad for considering how they were packed

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190213_122308-01

View attachment 179032

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190213_122753

They have been called "pimpmobile," and you know what? They are. They are mad pimpin' and I effing love it. They are so nice, I got a set for my Mom's Lexus. The dealer asked her where they could get some.They are soft and lux, and I'll pop off my slippers every now and then when I'm cruising just to feel them

I know I said this post was supposed to be about interior lighting so I guess I'd better get to that.

@TypeRLEDs

That's it. That's what you need to know. You can try to piece together bits and bobs on Amazon. You'll have tons of spares you'll need when they burn out. You'll have tons to switch through when they stay very sightly lit

Save yourself the hassle and get them all at once. Curated and fitting from the get go. They are bright as all get out

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191009_020952

You will be able to find everything in the dark in your cabin

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191009_030840

I was skeptical at first. I thought stock was adequate. I thought I wouldn't like how shocking bright blue the LEDs would be. I WAS WRONG

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191009_030900

Pardon the mess

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190711_050645

They are amazing!!! The reverse lights are brighter than a lot of headlights!! I wish I had good pics of them.

You'll notice in the pic above I don't have stock side markers anymore either. I looked at different smoked markers available.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190613_170031

They look pretty good in the daylight. Not a big fan lit up.

I went with the Helix smoked amber ones. They are super subtle and blend really well with Lunar Silver.
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190613_165743

They also look great lit up. Mine came from eBay. You can also get them here (at least I think they're the same)

That's enough for one post. It's pretty pic heavy, sorry. More to come...

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited: