The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
reliability [ri-lahy-uh-bil-i-tee]: the ability to be relied on or depended on

Everyone knows that tuning improves performance. But what about long term reliability and safety?

I created this thread to try to document just that and to get an overview of owner's overall tuning experiences.

If you have a tuned 10th gen, help the community and add your car to the thread. Your tuning experience and reliability data is invaluable (includes Type R, Si, 1.5T and 2.0 NA).

Every tuned car added helps build our tuning knowledge base and helps others decide if tuning is right for them.

Please use the format below when adding your car to the thread (my car used as an example):

Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-L sedan

Total tuned time: 6 years

Tuned miles driven: 33,500

Tuning device(s) used: I started with a Hondata CARB Flashpro and currently use a KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +6 and my own +7.5 tune; KTuner Dual Starter 21; D-Rob customized TSP 1; Phearable 1.5; currently using Phearable's 1.5R tune

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL silicone hose / aFe Pro Dry S filter combo

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time, mostly on the highway. With the better response and power, merging and avoiding dicey situations in traffic is much improved.

Tune experience notes: Overall the factory tune is mediocre at best. There was some serious lag going from light to heavy throttle. Tuning has definitely reduced the lag by maybe 90% and gives me a completely different (and safer) driving experience. I've never had a mod transform a car like tuning has. My car went from a peppy commuter to a bit of a sleeper and mpgs are only a bit lower since tuning (mostly due to a heavier foot). The Phearable 1.5R is the best tune I've used so far. It's super smooth, yet potent.

At the end of your post feel free to add photos, videos, dragy results, timeslips and dyno sheets.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) newpic2

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Untitled 2

Adding update posts
Add a new post from time to time. Use that post to show additional tuned miles driven, changes to your tune or mod setup, any issues that occur and any new tuning experience notes. These update posts will help increase the thread's accuracy. Update with a new post only. Never edit and overwrite your original post.

Current thread stats (as of 3/18/24)

General stats
Total tuned cars submitted: 1,289

Non-Si 572; Si 549; Type R 123; 2.0 NA 45
Sedan 621; Hatchback 440; Coupe 228
Manual trans 850 (66%); CVT 439 (34%)
Total reported tuned miles: 24,295,200
Car with most tuned miles: 160,000

Major failure stats
Cars with major drivetrain failures: 52 (4.0%)
Failures by model: Si 22; Non-Si 27; 2.0 NA 1; CTR 2
Highest fail rate: 1.5T hatchbacks (5.8%)
Failures by tune type: Base 14; OTS 18; Custom 20*
Failure rate: OTS 2.9%; Base 3.8%; Custom: 7.2%

Engine failures: Si 15; Non-Si 20; 2.0 NA 0; CTR 2
Transmission failures: CVT 8; Manual 7

Device usage stats
Hondata used for tuning: 290; Race (256) Carb (34)
KTuner used for tuning: 1,047; V1.2 (566) V2 (481)
Other devices: JB4 4; RaceChip 6; Motec 4; Cobb 1
Usage rate: KTuner 78%; Hondata 21%; Other 1%

Tune type stats
Currently custom tuned cars: 279 (22%)
Currently OTS tuned cars: 630 (49%)
Currently base tuned cars: 380 (29%)

Tune usage stats
Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (450)
Other popular OTS tunes: Phearable 1.5 (255);
Phearable 1.5R (135); TSP Stage 1+ (80);
TSP Stage 2 (39); Phearable 2.5 (35)
Phearable OTS revision tunes: 26
Cars on custom flex fuel tunes: 74

Fuel usage stats
Users running 93 octane: 672 (52%)
Users running 91 octane: 454 (35%)
Other octanes used: 163 (13%)
Octane booster used: 25 (2%)
Users topping off with E85: 145 (11%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 173 (13%)

Bolt on stats
No bolt ons added: 319 (25%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 700 (54%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 270 (21%)

Related mod stats
Cold air intake installed: 641 (50%)
Short ram intake installed: 145 (11%)
Upgraded intercooler installed: 496 (39%)
Upgraded charge pipes: 196 (16%)
Aftermarket downpipe installed: 471 (36%)
Aftermarket frontpipe installed: 331 (25%)
Aftermarket exhaust installed: 420 (32%)
Upgraded RMM installed: 167 (12%)

Upgraded flywheel installed: 100 (12%)
Upgraded clutch installed: 195 (22%)
Upgraded CMC installed: 38 (4%)
Catch can installed: 90 (7%)
Oil or trans cooler installed: 45 (4%)
Upgraded fuel pump installed: 36 (3%)
Upgraded fuel system installed: 22 (2%)
Upgraded radiator installed: 29 (2%)

Upgraded head studs installed: 51 (4%)
Aftermarket intake manifold: 14 (1%)
Aftermarket BOV installed: 35 (3%)
Upgraded turbo inlet pipe: 179 (14%)
Turbo blanket installed: 38 (3%)
4 bar MAP sensor installed: 16 (1%)
Upgraded turbo installed: 150 (12%)
Cars with built engines: 21

Tuned miles stats
Under 10,000 tuned miles driven: 453
10,000-25,000 tuned miles driven: 511
25,001-40,000 tuned miles driven: 184
40,001-60,000 tuned miles driven: 81
60,001-75,000 tuned miles driven: 35
75,001-100,000 tuned miles driven: 17
Over 100,000 tuned miles driven: 8

Stats notes
For this thread, full bolt ons consist of downpipe, frontpipe, intercooler and intake at a minimum. The most popular installed bolt ons are intakes (61%), intercoolers, downpipes and exhaust systems. PRL Cobras are the most popular intake with 361 installs (294 CAI, 67 SRI). Only 39% of all owners with upgraded intercoolers have upgraded the charge pipes.

Nearly 46% of KTuner owners use the touchscreen V2 version. 89% of Hondata owners use the Race version. While KTuner is used by the majority of owners in the thread, Type R owners prefer Hondata.

45% of the cars in the thread are 1.5T Non-Si's. 42% are Si's. 10% are Type R's. 3% are 2.0 NA's. 48% of the cars in the thread are sedans. 34% are hatchbacks. 18% are coupes. 325 owners in the thread have driven at least 25,000 tuned miles. 141 owners have over 40,000 tuned miles driven. 60 owners have driven more than 60,000 tuned miles.

The tuned miles driven stats are based on the info currently reported by owners. The tune type stats are based on the owner's current reported tune. The drivetrain failures link takes you to a separate thread with additional details and information.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 092D6509-F181-48C7-98B6-D540B8E133C9-01

Major Failures
1 car had a failed CVT (replaced under warranty). 1 car had a blown head gasket. 1 car blew a CVT pushing the car hard with an existing emissions problem. 1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine when the owner mistakenly used non-race gas with a tune designed specifically for race gas. 1 owner had major failures on a used car he purchased. 1 owner admitted he abused his car and destroyed his engine. 1 non-Si owner blew his engine on a Stage 2 Powermetric flex fuel tune w/full bolt ons. 1 owner had his CVT replaced under warranty (damaged by high power ethanol tune); the new CVT has been trouble free for 70,000+ tuned miles. 1 car threw a rod under "iffy" circumstances according to it's owner (possible abuse/user error). 1 owner destroyed his CVT after some track time in 100° weather.

1 car had a bent connecting rod but there were many factors (neglect) beyond the tune. 1 Si blew two OEM head gaskets (finally replaced with a better aftermarket gasket). 1 car bent a rod while doing WOT datalogging for a custom remote tune (had run meth for a short time as well). 1 car blew a CVT after serious neglect/abuse with numerous brake launches and burnouts. 1 Si blew a transmission running a high power flex fuel tune (full bolt ons). 1 car bent rods, had bearing material in the oil and CVT issues. 1 Si blew the head gasket and lifted the head after 14,000 aggressively driven tuned miles. 1 Type R had overheating issues; blew the head gasket and the top piston ring scored the cylinder wall; engine replaced. 1 car had a failed CVT running a base tune on a stock setup (likely factory defective; replaced under warranty). 1 car bent a rod after filling up with low octane gas (sold as high octane) in Egypt.

1 car bent a rod on a high output custom tune during a WOT pull. 1 car had a catastrophic engine failure when a tuner bumped up low end torque too far. 1 car (a 1.5T hatch) had an engine failure where octane booster possibly contributed. 1 hatch blew an engine after adding too much octane booster to the tank. 1 Si blew a head gasket running a high power flex fuel tune. 1 custom tuned 2.0NA had a CVT failure. 1 Si failed when the engine seized up due to a likely oil pump failure. 1 Non-Si engine was destroyed when the intake camshaft snapped possibly due to a defective oil pump. 1 hatchback bent a rod running a base tune with no bolt ons. 1 Si needed a transmission replacement due to a bearing failure (replaced under warranty). 1 Si had damaged engine bearings likely due to a failed oil pump. 1 car's engine had a spun rod bearing.

1 Si owner blew his transmission after admittedly beating on his car long term. 1 Si blew a head gasket on an OTS flex fuel tune. 1 Si blew it's transmission after many hard driven miles on a high power tune. 1 Non-Si owner had a failed CVT on a car he purchased used. 1 hatchback owner blew his engine on a +6 Hondata base tune. 1 CTR track car suffered a blown head gasket and scored cylinder walls. 1 OTS tuned Si had a head gasket failure. 1 aggressively driven Si (on an OTS ethanol tune) had a transmission failure. 1 W2 powered Si had a failed head gasket. 1 Non-Si in Australia blew a rod when the owner neglected a long term engine knocking issue. 1 Non-Si on a high power custom flex tune had a head gasket failure. 1 Si on a TSP1 had head gasket and rod bearing failures. 1 hatchback blew a rod and shattered a piston. 1 Si had a transmission failure (lost 4th gear) caused by user error. 1 aggressively driven flex fuel tuned Si blew a transmission. 1 high mileage used Si had scored cylinder walls and head gasket issues. 1 owner-tuned hatchback (30 psi) not surprisingly blew a rod. 1 Si had a blown CV axle, spun rod bearing, spun thrust bearing and a scored oil pump housing. 1 Si running the TSP 1+ tune threw a rod.

Failure Notes
1.5T Non-Si's in the thread have had the most major failures (20 engine; 7 CVT) and have the highest overall failure rate (4.8%). It's important to note that 13 of the 16 Non-Si rod failures (81%) occurred in hatchback models. The hatchback's weaker rods clearly skew the overall Non-Si failure rate stats. The sedan/coupe major failure rate is 3.5% (9 failures).

Si's in the thread have had 22 major failures (15 engine; 7 transmission) for a 4.0% failure rate. Head gaskets (9) account for 60% of the Si engine problems. By comparison, only 2 of the 20 Non-Si engine failures were head gaskets (10%) The issue seems to mostly affect higher output Si's that have been tuned for an extended time.

Type R's currently have a 1.8% failure rate with 2 cars having engine failures (both were track cars). 2.0 NA's have a 2.4% failure rate with one major failure (a CVT). 4 of the 50 major failures were on cars running no bolt-on setups (8%).

While no engine failures were covered under warranty some of the transmission failures were. 5 of the 8 CVTs that failed were replaced under warranty (62%). Only 1 of the 5 failed manual transmissions was replaced under warranty (20%).

* The failures by tune type stats are based on the tune the owner was running at the time of the failure.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 71B624B4-7B88-49EA-83CD-B3CAFE81661C-01

Lesser Failures and Issues
Many manual owners in the thread have reported clutch slip issues. Some CVT owners have reported occasional whining or other wonkiness. There's been occasional fuel trim and knock control issues (depending on intake and gas used). 33 owners in the thread (3%) have reported injector failures. Five W1 aftermarket turbos have failed. All of these are concerning but not catastrophic.

Observations
An OTS tune, running 93 octane with no added bolt ons appears to be the most reliable setup. Unlike base tunes, OTS tunes are mostly locked and allow few user adjustments, increasing safety. Issues seem to happen most often when power output is pushed too high, owners attempt to self-tune or there is abuse, neglect or user error involved. Due to potential long term issues, octane boosters, aftermarket blow-off valves and Injen intakes aren't recommended.

CVTs and Tuning
Some people say it's a waste to tune a 1.5T CVT Civic. The idea being that the CVT can't handle high power and that they're boring. This video of a John Vega tuned sedan might change that point of view. The fact is, a higher power tuned CVT turbo Civic can be both reliable (limiting torque down low is a key) and fun. In the thread, 71% of the Non-Si 1.5Ts are CVT.

Top rated tuners: Derek Robinson; John Vega

Searching the thread
Use this post to search for specific information in the thread quickly. It features links to many useful tuning related search terms. It's an easy way to find the information you want.

Summary
There's no doubt that a tune is the single best power-based performance mod but it does add additional stress. Reliability can be compromised if you tune for ultimate power (on stock internals) or abuse or neglect your ride. And while the jury is still out on long term 10th gen tuning reliability, proper maintenance and common sense on the road will help minimize issues.

Last edited:

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Sport Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: 8 months (1 year 11 months as of 1/10/21 - initial tune was 2/7/2019)

Total tuned mileage: appx 7000 miles (22.6k miles as of 1/10/21)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Current configuration: Phearable 1.5T non-Si CVT tune (installed 1/10/21)
  • Past tunes used: Dual calibration 21/16.5psi starter, 18psi starter, 21psi starter, 21psi with quick enables
Fuel used: Costco, Sam's Club, Chevron, or Sinclair 91 octane, almost in that order. Shell 91, sometimes, too, but really only when I visit SoCal. Chevron gets bumped up in the list if I have grocery rewards banked up.

Additional engine mods: DIY SRI with AEM DryFlow filter, Mishimoto silicone induction hose, custom fiberglass filter heatshield (thermal reflective tape on the engine-facing sides), and ram induction ducting leading to the heatshield from the driver's side faux vent opened up. Also have a muffler delete with the stock resonator still in place.

Problems/issues: Maybe a heavier lead foot. Also smiles for miles. lol
12/28/2020 update, prolly should've added this a long time ago. Had some intermittent weirdness where, if at >70%ish throttle and KTuner boost measuring at >17psi, I'd get a fluttering sound. Almost as if the BPV was fluttering open and shut, very similar to when the BPV did it's recirc thing. This was back when I first bumped up to the 21psi starter tune with no quick enables. Frequency decreased significantly when I first used quick enables (the same settings as my map 2 - 21psi starter with improved responsiveness II/improved ramp II) and temporarily went away when I played around in S mode with paddle shifters. I haven't gotten that sound at all when I upped the turbo response/turbo ramp to my current map 3 settings (21psi starter with improved responsiveness III/aggressive ramp II). I tried every conceivable scenario to get it to flutter on my way home tonight (25 mile drive, 90% freeway), but got nothing but that sweet boost intake suction sound coming from my engine bay.

Driving style: Mostly chill driving, slightly spirited, especially on inclined highway on-ramps. Not a huge fan of driving on eco-mode. S mode if I'm feeling frisky. Paddle shifters if I'm feeling even friskier. Aim for good fuel economy when I'm feeling frugal.

edit: 11/27/2020, confirmed to pass Clark county (Las Vegas, NV) emissions testing with 21psi tune with quick enables
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1127201139~3

edit 2: 12/28/20 added info in the "issues" section. Really a non-issue, but worth noting.

edit 3:1/10/21 Flashed Phearable 1.5T non-Si CVT tune today. I can definitely tell that torque is limited down low to protect the CVT. I also get it when I read that people have to depress the throttle a bit more than before. The way I look at it, yes, protects the CVT, but also makes [map 3] very daily drivable. It's just something I'll have to get used to. And man, acceleration is stupid smooth on this tune, definitely a lot less jerky than the starter 21psi tune (which I didn't think was terribly jerky until now). At >70% throttle, this thing pulls. Unfortunately, I never had the TSP tune, so I can't really compare it to that.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 10 months

Total Tuned Mileage: 10k plus

Tuning Device: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base 19.5/23.5, TSP stage 1

Additional Mods: Mishimoto Intercooler, aFe Takeda SS 3" performance exhaust

Problems/Issues: None

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan, CVT (automatic)

Total tuned time: 2 years 5 months

Total tuned mileage: 20,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro; KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +6 psi, KTuner OTS Stage 2

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None / uncontrollable laughing disorder when behind the wheel :)

Driving style: Granny

Last edited:

SiFever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 0 months

Total tuned mileage: 0 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Nuthin

Tunes used: None

Additional engine mods: Bone Stock motor, OEM everything.

Problems/issues: Boring, fun factor is suppressed. Engine runs very quiet. No one can tell how awesome I am, nor how much of a try-hard. Photos of engine bay are pointless. Lacking in cool toys, cool factor is present, but lower than desired.

Driving style: We was just funnin', officer, we didn't mean no harm. Top speed around 116 southbound down the back side of the sunol grade, had some 'encouragement' from another driver.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 27 months

Total tuned mileage: 11,500 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Si Ktuner Basemaps, TSP Stage 1, Derek Robinson Etune

Additional engine mods: 27Won W1 Turbocharger (E-tuned by Derek Robinson on 91 Pump), Eman's Modified CMC, Ktuner V2, RV6 Catless dp and fp, Custom SS 3" exhaust with two vibrant ultra quiet resonators, PRL Race Si Cai, Agency Power Intercooler with CNT Racing Intercooler Piping, Perrin FK8 RMM, PRL SS Clutch Line, FX350 Clutch with stock dmf, Hybrid Racing Gold Full Short Shifter, and Carbon Fiber Mugen Shift Knob.

Problems/issues: No big issues except for FX350 Slipping from long time ago lol. Have a modified exedy single mass flywheel and Action Clutch working on making me a custom 6 puck.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic EX (2.0L)

Total tuned time: 16 months

Total tuned mileage: 5,000 miles (approximately)

Current mileage: 10,008 miles

Tune used: KTuner Basemap #1

Additional engine mods: K&N air filter

Problems/Issues: Absolutely none so far.

Fuel Used: 93 Octane since tune requires 91+ (Mostly Sunoco fuel)

Driving style:
Aggressive and more spirited driving when i'm in the mood for it or the road is open. Otherwise mostly normal driving.

Last edited:

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe

Total Tuned Time: 18 months -> ~60 months/5 years

Total Tuned Mileage: ~40k miles -> ~70k miles

Tuning Device: Flashpro, ktuner v2

Tunes used: Hondata OTS +6/+9, TSP stage 1, custom IMW tune w/ DRob

Fuel used: California 91

Additional Mods: PRL intercooler, PRL Intake, Acuity short shifter, Eibach lowering springs -> Ark DTS exhaust + 27won turbo + Type R clutch retrofit from NAPerformance

Problems/Issues: Gas isn’t good enough where I live to really take advantage of map 3 (for tsp stage 1). Recently had a few misfire codes which might be attributed to some bad gas sneaking in. Spark plugs were changed at 48k miles and haven’t had any further issues. Also, I should really make it a priority to replace my stock tires...

Driving style: Most days, highway driving between 75~85mph switching between 4th, 5th, and 6th as needed. My commute home is a little over an hour and mostly uphill, so I typically will be in 5th around 3.5-4K rpm pretty consistently throughout the drive. Occasionally I can drive on the more aggressive side (like, 85+ in 4th), but most of my hard driving is generally pulls onto freeway on-ramps.

Update (11/15/19): started an e-tune with drob a few weeks ago and I’ve had to do some much more aggressive pulls for data logs than I’m used to. Probably the most hard driving my car has seen which means I think I’ve been pretty kind to it this far. Otherwise, each revision fees better than the last. Can’t wait to finish up the process!

Update (1/11/20): Custom tune from IMW has been great, lots of power everywhere under the curve. Unfortunately, I think I’ve softened up my clutch so I’m (hopefully) getting the retrofit kit installed next week along with the 27won turbo. I’ll probably back it down and take it easy for a while so everything can break in nicely, but will update again once I’m retuned.

Tuning experience: Like many others, this has been my first manual car and first tuning experience. Its been a lot of fun but definitely with some splotches of fear and paranoia. Even still, I 100% believe tuning this car is worth it. Custom tune provides plenty of shove, though I’m curious what I will find when I reach the other side (turbo + clutch). Think I’ll most likely call the quits on mods after that, with the exception of maybe an exhaust for some sound.

Update (5/15/23): Been a long time since I updated this thread. Should've posted some stats for @gtman sooner since he's continued to put a lot of time into this thread!

I got the Type R clutch retrofit done by E-man back in January of 2020. During the same time, he also installed a W1 27won turbo and I updated my custom tune with Derek in the following months.

Since then, I've put almost another 40k miles on the car. It's still my daily and I drive it about 300 miles a week. I'm currently at about 85k miles, with around 70k of them being tuned to some degree. I'm not running Ethanol, so boost normally maxes out around 26 or 27psi. I never ended up getting the car dyno'd but I'd assume I'm probably making around 265~270 wheel based on similar setups. Maybe I'll still get around to doing that at some point. Overall, the car has held up remarkably well!

In terms of maintenance and other things, Eman did notice a little bit of oil leakage and recommended I switch to honda brand 5w-30 synthetic blend which I've been using since with no issue. I've been good about oil changes every 3k miles, and transmission fluid and spark plugs every 25k. Haven't had any additional misfires. Clutch and transmission have been holding like a champ so far, no slippage or issues with gears. Head gaskets seem okay so far, rods and pistons are still stock. W1 also seems to be holding up just fine, despite hearing about a number of these failing in other threads.

A little postmortem after spending a few years with the car in its current state...

As much as I'd like some more power (I bought an e85 kit but never installed), I don't think I'm planning on doing anything else to the car. As the years go on, it's clear that this is really not the platform for big numbers out of the box and I've accepted that I'd personally prefer to keep my car reliable than try to squeeze out the extra 20% or have to build the motor to support it. It's in a great spot as a daily and still gets 40+ mpg if you drive it nicely which really makes it a pretty great package. I'm not a hardcore track rat or canyon carver and recognize the car is probably already more capable than I'm willing to push it, especially on public roads. I agree with the others on here that if you want something more purpose-built, you should probably start with something more purpose built. I think I've been pretty lucky in regards to reliability but also try not to do stupid stuff with my car so I think that helps. Pick 2: cheap, fast, reliable, right?

Power with the turbo is STOUT and pulls to redline but also comes in a bit later, which is good for rods and something I was generally "aware of" prior to installing. However, it wasn't something I really understood until driving the car with the W1. It's not exactly peaky but the lag down low is definitely more noticeable and there's a little bit of a learning curve. In my experience, to get the most out of the car you really need to bury your foot and stay in full boost for a sec. Usually means you need a little bit of space and sometimes that's not readily available. I think some consider this "rewarding", and it certainly can be but I go back and forth on whether I like it or not. Sometimes it can be an exercise in frustration and hampers drivability. I guess it adds some character.

Adding to this (and maybe it was just me), but I also found there was even less torque down low with the PRL CAI. At some point last year I swapped the intake to a short ram configuration and found that low end torque was better and the car felt more responsive. I paired it with the procivic mesh grill to keep the engine bay and intake temps down and from what I can tell, they're about the same as where they were with the CAI (10~15 degrees over ambient). With flooding here in CA the last couple months, I think it was a good move + you get all the turbo noises (and they are loud with the W1).

At some point I installed an ark dts exhaust which adds some extra flow up top when you really hammer it. It's a bit loud and drones at 3k rpm, but generally I like the tone at low speeds and in the upper rev range. Wish there were some more valved options but those are few and far between on cars in this price range.

Overall, I still love what this car offers. And I've tried not to change too much of its personality in that regard. It's been a fantastically reliable street car and commuter that mods pretty well and punches well above its weight. I kind of wish I had gotten it in a sedan and that there were more CARB options for turbos (not sure what happened to the MHI TD03!) as driving this thing into the ground would've been a no-brainer. I've been mulling over replacing it but it's paid off and does its job so may just keep it to put the miles on and get something more special when I can afford it later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Added the Driving Style category. Thanks to TypeSiR.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport (EUDM) L15BA MT

ECU: 5AN-G23

Gas: 98 RON E5 (Repsol or Shell only)

LTFT: -3 / -7

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 40.000 Km

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: All ktuner basemaps KTuner 21 (never agressive settings), current tune TSP Stage 1 (non-si)

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Intercooler, K&N replacement filter.

Driving style: Speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time, never push more than 2 PSI until engine is warm and never wot until ECT is 80ÂşC for a few minutes.

Last edited:

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Hatchback Sport MT, European 1.5 non si

Total tuned time: over 2 years

Total tuned mileage: 75000 km

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, Ktuner Starter 21 with mild settings, TSP Stage 1 (non-si)

Additional engine mods: K&N Air filter, custom 2,5'' exhaust, PRL Intercooler, 27won Intake.

Driving style: Long highway commutes with speedy aggressive bursts from time to time. Speedy mountain passes from time to time. Proper warmup and cooldown times when starting and stopping the car. Track day every X months.

Last edited:

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
I would add an ecu number and if they have received warranty extension letters, for oil dilution and injectors

also its own ltft

and gasoline TYPE

Last edited:

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
Veicolo : 2017 Hatchback Sport MT, European 1.5 non si

Tempo totale sintonizzato: 12 mesi

Chilometraggio totale sintonizzato: 10.000 km

Dispositivi di sintonizzazione utilizzati: Ktuner

Melodie utilizzate : Ktuner Stage 2, Ktuner Starter 2
1 con impostazioni rigide, TSP Stage 1 (non si)

Mods motore aggiuntivi: NO

Problemi / problemi: a CEL light

Cold Start Sound

Stile di guida: aggressivo

Gas: 100 RON EURO

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 19 months

Total tuned mileage: 24,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +6, +9, my own custom mapping

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto SRI

Clutch: Stock and never slipped

Problems/issues: none until very recently. Emissions issue coding for cylinder imbalances. Also gauge cluster going black and coming back on "piece by piece". Returning car to stock except the intake has made huge difference with gauge cluster (went from off and on 4 times a drive cycle of 30 minutes- to - has only happened twice in the past 2 weeks.... almost like it's recovering from something....).

It unfortunately hasn't helped the emissions code. Either my injectors are in early stages of failure, it needs plugs, cat is partially melted, 02 sensor damaged, or a combination of all the above. Haven't had it looked at yet.

Making the personal choice to never use a flash device on these cars again.

Hoping to get it fixed and trade for a '20 si coupe and planning to leave as stock as possible. Maybe an R.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 19 months

Total tuned mileage: 24,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +6, +9, my own custom "powerperliter" mapping

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto SRI

Problems/issues: none until very recently. Emissions issue coding for cylinder imbalances. Also gauge cluster going black and coming back on "piece by piece". Returning car to stock except the intake has made huge difference with gauge cluster (went from off and on 4 times a drive cycle of 30 minutes- to - has only happened twice in the past 2 weeks.... almost like it's recovering from something....).

It unfortunately hasn't helped the emissions code. Either my injectors are in early stages of failure, it needs plugs, cat is partially melted, 02 sensor damaged, or a combination of all the above. Haven't had it looked at yet.

Making the personal choice to never use a flash device on these cars again.

Hoping to get it fixed and trade for a '20 si coupe and planning to leave as stock as possible. Maybe an R.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.
Curious to see what exactly you changed on your tune. Maybe there’s an issue with it.
Sponsored