Civic AC heading for lawsuit?

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I have spent $4,390 since August 2020 repairing the A/C on my 2016 Civic. Replaced compressor at 49,000 miles. Since then the three repairs have been for leaks, with last repair November 2022. The owner of the A/C service (he handled two of the repairs) told me about the problems caused by the R-1234yf refrigerant. Today the a/c is again not cooling properly. The thing is, other than the a/c the car has been problem free. But I give up. I have read the previous comments, but if anyone has suggestions other than pushing it off a cliff, I would great appreciate it.
Charge it yourself with a can of honeywell r1234yf. Very simple and cheap to do. If that doesn't last long, either live with it or trade it in. There is no fixing it. It will just keep on breaking.
Sponsored

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
The owner of the A/C service (he handled two of the repairs) told me about the problems caused by the R-1234yf refrigerant.
I don't buy that. 1234yf is a common refrigerant these days, and only a small percentage of Honda cars are having leaking condenser issues. It's just a manufacturing defect of the condensers.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't buy that. 1234yf is a common refrigerant these days, and only a small percentage of Honda cars are having leaking condenser issues. It's just a manufacturing defect of the condensers.
That's just wrong. Ask your service advisor. There is a reason why they always have condensers, compressors and evaporators on hand. You have a 2020, i'll give it less than 2 more years and you'll experience the issue first hand. Then it will keep on recurring.

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
My AC started hissing a few months ago, cooling power died off.. I had it looked at by an independent and they think it's the compressor that's failing/leaking.

I've called up my local Honda (the same dealer that sold the car to the original owner in the first place) and they're going to take a look at it week after next.

I'm in the UK - Given its a known issue and all this legal stuff, what are the chances they'll cover some/all of the cost of replacing? The car is a 2018 model so I presume out of warranty.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My AC started hissing a few months ago, cooling power died off.. I had it looked at by an independent and they think it's the compressor that's failing/leaking.

I've called up my local Honda (the same dealer that sold the car to the original owner in the first place) and they're going to take a look at it week after next.

I'm in the UK - Given its a known issue and all this legal stuff, what are the chances they'll cover some/all of the cost of replacing? The car is a 2018 model so I presume out of warranty.
I can't speak for the UK, but in USA/Canada, the complimentary 10 year warranty is on the condenser only.

TheOldMan

First Name
J. F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mini Convertible, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yet it is the failure of the condenser that leads to the compressor failure.

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag

To follow up on my previous post, Honda are going to replace my condenser FOC!

Its been a bit of back and forth.. by the time they actually replace the condenser in two weeks' time, they'll have had the car on three separate occasions.

The only thing I've had to pay for so far is hire car(s) and labour to remove the front bumper and inspect. As there is a bumper bracket missing (previous owner) they suspected the issue was due to damage and not the common fault. Turns out there was no damage to the condenser so they will pay it out under warranty.

Worth noting that the replacement condenser unit is not the same as the factory item, so will not be covered under the 10 year extended warranty. I guess Honda feel this new design shouldn't cause any further issues in future.

Good news for any other UK owners out there with a dead condenser.

jjayguy23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
To follow up on my previous post, Honda are going to replace my condenser FOC!

Its been a bit of back and forth.. by the time they actually replace the condenser in two weeks' time, they'll have had the car on three separate occasions.

The only thing I've had to pay for so far is hire car(s) and labour to remove the front bumper and inspect. As there is a bumper bracket missing (previous owner) they suspected the issue was due to damage and not the common fault. Turns out there was no damage to the condenser so they will pay it out under warranty.

Worth noting that the replacement condenser unit is not the same as the factory item, so will not be covered under the 10 year extended warranty. I guess Honda feel this new design shouldn't cause any further issues in future.

Good news for any other UK owners out there with a dead condenser.
Happy for you. Personally, I'll need to see some evidence that the manufacturing process has been improved and replaced parts are free of defects. I don't trust the reliability. I've already heard people needed to get their 10th gen civic A/C system fixed multiple times (see example #303 ).

Last edited:

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Happy for you. Personally, I'll need to see some evidence that the manufacturing process has been improved and replaced parts are free of defects. I don't trust the reliability. I've already heard people needed to get their 10th gen civic A/C system fixed multiple times (see example #303 ).
I guess time will tell whether the replacement unit is materially better than what other owners have experienced with a like-for-like replacement.

Getting mine swapped out on Monday - will report back here if I encounter any issues!

If it would be useful.. I can try and get a hold of the part number for the condenser unit Honda are going to install. Might be helpful for others when interacting with dealers and getting clarity on what they are/aren't installing.

jjayguy23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
I guess time will tell whether the replacement unit is materially better than what other owners have experienced with a like-for-like replacement.

Getting mine swapped out on Monday - will report back here if I encounter any issues!

If it would be useful.. I can try and get a hold of the part number for the condenser unit Honda are going to install. Might be helpful for others when interacting with dealers and getting clarity on what they are/aren't installing.
The new condenser assembly part is probably 80100-TBC-A02. I've seen some suspicion that Honda changed the part number without actually fixing the issue.

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The new condenser assembly part is probably 80100-TBC-A02. I've seen some suspicion that Honda changed the part number without actually fixing the issue.
Interesting...! thanks for that part number - I will confirm my new part number and cross-reference. Suspect you might be on the right path...

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I just received a warranty extension for the compressor on my 2020 fc1. So whatever that means

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag

Is your hissing accompanied by liquid noises as well? What I mean is, does it sound like liquid in the ventilation system? Like burbling. That's how mine has sounded for about 2 years now. It is 90*F+ here this week and it's taking a little longer for the A/C to cool down the car compared to last summer.

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Is your hissing accompanied by liquid noises as well? What I mean is, does it sound like liquid in the ventilation system? Like burbling. That's how mine has sounded for about 2 years now. It is 90*F+ here this week and it's taking a little longer for the A/C to cool down the car compared to last summer.
Not heard any liquid or burbling noises in mine, just the hissing. It only makes the hissing noise when the AC is turned on. Turn the AC off and keep the blowers going, the noise goes away.

Does yours make the liquidy noise when the AC is off, blowers only?
Sponsored