Civic Condenser can last only three years?

OP
OP

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Just curious, when it starts blowing hot air for you, does turning it all the way down to "Lo" turn it cold again? Or does it blow hot air even at the "Lo" setting?

I turned all the way to "Lo", still blow hot air.
Sponsored

darrenjuggins

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.6 EX i-Dtec & MR2 Roadster (Mk3)
Country flag
The new condenser has an A02 part number. At the time when they did the replacement check to see the part number you received for the new condenser, it should have an A02 at the end, if it still has A01 then they gave you the existing defective condenser. New part number usually indicates that the part was updated and you shouldn't encounter a leak again. Also Honda doesn't manufacture any AC components, they are all from third party suppliers so it must have been a bad batch.
I’ll concur with this, I’m on my third condenser now, the original replacement was the same part and design of the failed part, this time, it’s the new updated part with the new number as stated above, therefore I’m hoping this one lasts longer than the previous two….

Cheers
Darren

swirly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX W/Sense
Country flag
oh fun, I am having the same issue. 3rd time to go to the dealer for me as well. They are saying no warranty :(

Hydrolic11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do our 2 Civics in less than an hour. The most difficult part of the job is to put the 12 black cable ties.
My Civic condenser show some outside damage from road rock .I have 80,000 miles
Other Civic with 1 year new condenser show few damage with 3,000 miles.

IMO this metal lath is a must to protect condenser

DSC09670.jpeg
Did you need to take off the front bumper to install, or did you somehow finagle/bend the gutter guard to get in-between the back of the bumper and front of the condensor? If the latter, mind pointing me to a how-to please?

Last edited:
OP
OP

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
oh fun, I am having the same issue. 3rd time to go to the dealer for me as well. They are saying no warranty :(

What did they mean "no warranty"?
Is that because of other parts failure not related to condenser?
Or is it condenser, but for some reason, they don't honor that 10 year extended warranty?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Our '16 Civic is in the shop now for replacement evaporator and expansion valve. (Yikes! They have to gut out the console and all other interior parts forward of the seats to do this job.) (Right now, this is on our nickel, but the dealer service manager did agree to see if the Honda DPSM is willing to help out.) It got a replacement condenser last fall, on Honda's nickel. Our '18 CR-V got a new compressor, compressor clutch, clutch coil set, and return hose on warranty. So, between the two, we will have replaced every significant functional part in an AC system in less than 38k miles experience.

The AC system in 10th gen Civics/5th gen CR-Vs is not worthy of the Honda brand. Sad.

Last edited:

swirly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX W/Sense
Country flag
What did they mean "no warranty"?
Is that because of other parts failure not related to condenser?
Or is it condenser, but for some reason, they don't honor that 10 year extended warranty?
That's what the service guy told me on the phone. I brought it into the shop today anyways and the service advisor was able to prove it was the condenser so that was covered under the warranty. 3rd time they fixed it, so I was surprised it was all covered under warranty. Roughly $660 for them to make the repairs. Anyways, did not need to spend money!

Rabbitcivic

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic lx, 2017 Acura ILX, 7th gen si 4door
Country flag
that was a great idea! cuz me myself ran into same issue with the condenser but that was replaced under warrenty. the car itself is 2017 so it was replaced in the fall of 2020. ever since no problems with the ac.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2017 with 75K on it now, I'm on my third condenser, and second compressor. And it's starting to be a little warm from time to time here in Jersey and I hear the long hissing sound when it first turns on again, so seems something is leaking yet again. Good times.

Waleed94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic LX sedan
Country flag
My condenser is probably original. It was damaged in a car accident and the dishonest bodyshop that did the insurance job charged insurance and never changed it. That and the bumper bar is sitting crooked. For me AC still works so I guess I'm lucky, but if I knew who the bodyshop in question is, I would force they to repair it. They billed for over 10k in damages

I doubt Honda would cover it, but if I have to change it in the future I would buy an aftermarket one

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Just curious, does anyone that had an AC condenser replaced had it done on a car made in Japan?

From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be too many 10th Gen Civics made in Japan. I was wondering if they used a different supplier.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
Did you ever find out where the hissing noise comes from? Mine stopped hissing and went completely dead.
I have a 2017 with 75K on it now, I'm on my third condenser, and second compressor. And it's starting to be a little warm from time to time here in Jersey and I hear the long hissing sound when it first turns on again, so seems something is leaking yet again. Good times.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Just curious, does anyone that had an AC condenser replaced had it done on a car made in Japan?

From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be too many 10th Gen Civics made in Japan. I was wondering if they used a different supplier.

Mine was assembled in Canada at the Alliston, Ontario plant. I just had my condenser replaced for the first time, the original part had a part number with A01 at the end of it and the condenser had a sticker at the top with the part number and supplier name, the original one that was leaking was supplied by Keihin and made in the US. The new one they replaced it with has a new part number ending with A02 and the sticker on it shows it is supplied by Mahle and made in the Czech republic. Looks like they changed suppliers for the new condenser probably due to a bad batch from the original supplier.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Mine was assembled in Canada at the Alliston, Ontario plant. I just had my condenser replaced for the first time, the original part had a part number with A01 at the end of it and the condenser had a sticker at the top with the part number and supplier name, the original one that was leaking was supplied by Keihin and made in the US. The new one they replaced it with has a new part number ending with A02 and the sticker on it shows it is supplied by Mahle and made in the Czech republic. Looks like they changed suppliers for the new condenser probably due to a bad batch from the original supplier.
Thanks for the information.
My Civic was made in Japan & I'm curious who made the condenser.
Is there any way to see the sticker with the number or supplier on it? Maybe using a mirror?

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the information.
My Civic was made in Japan & I'm curious who made the condenser.
Is there any way to see the sticker with the number or supplier on it? Maybe using a mirror?
Pop the hood open, There will be a plastic cover in the front which is fastened by multiple push pins. You can use a screw driver to wedge the push pins out (circled them in red for you) and take that piece off. The sticker should be on the right hand side of the condenser at the top. Let me know what the supplier is once you find out! Just curious!

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Condenser can last only three years? 1652300932424
Sponsored