Class action lawsuit for Honda16-18 Civic AC?

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you diagnose a leaking compressor? My dealership sent me a video of how they diagnosed mine, and it was a load of crap.
Dye. Sometimes you can see the oil stick to the areas around the compressor too. Residue around the compressor is also a good indicator.
Sponsored

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Dye. Sometimes you can see the oil stick to the areas around the compressor too. Residue around the compressor is also a good indicator.
They never used dye to diagnose mine. Even though I requested it. I wanted it proven that the compressor was leaking before I shelled out $2000. They just looked at it for 2 minutes, diagnosed a leaking compressor and condenser. I told them just do the condenser as it's a warranty fix, they wouldn't.

The video they sent me showing the so called "oil spray" from the compressor leaking, was actually a rust protection product I sprayed in the area myself because that plastic shield that you remove when doing an oil change is missing, so I wanted to protect that area from rust. I told them that, they ignored me.

I ended up charging it with a can myself, and 6 months later it's still going strong. I hate stealerships!

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They never used dye to diagnose mine. Even though I requested it. I wanted it proven that the compressor was leaking before I shelled out $2000. They just looked at it for 2 minutes, diagnosed a leaking compressor and condenser. I told them just do the condenser as it's a warranty fix, they wouldn't.

The video they sent me showing the so called "oil spray" from the compressor leaking, was actually a rust protection product I sprayed in the area myself because that plastic shield that you remove when doing an oil change is missing, so I wanted to protect that area from rust. I told them that, they ignored me.

I ended up charging it with a can myself, and 6 months later it's still going strong. I hate stealerships!
well there's always two sides to every story:dunno:

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
well there's always two sides to every story:dunno:
They showed their side, ON VIDEO. The "evidence" was literally a product I sprayed myself, first hand.

You cannot possibly eyeball a leaking compressor that is leaking so slow that 6 months later the system is still reading the same pressure. There are good and bad dealerships out there, it's not a good idea to defend the clearly bad ones. Because that makes YOU look bad.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They showed their side, ON VIDEO. The "evidence" was literally a product I sprayed myself, first hand.

You cannot possibly eyeball a leaking compressor that is leaking so slow that 6 months later the system is still reading the same pressure. There are good and bad dealerships out there, it's not a good idea to defend the clearly bad ones. Because that makes YOU look bad.
actually im losing weight, i am looking better than before, thanks. yes anything is possible. my own compressor is leaking and i am able to see it without dye. I would need to see the video in order to give you a correct diagnosis. if you want to dig deeper into it im gunna have to charge you diag fee. lol im joking, dont freak out. I wasnt there to diagnose it or even look at it so I dont look bad at all. thats the same as saying dont say its a clearly bad dealership when youve might of had a bad experience, if it was really bad it would be out of business. have a great rest of the week bud.

OP
OP

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Just screw them if your honda dealer wants to replace compressor for $2k....
I went to charge refrigerator in April , still good. A full summer. Obviously if there is really a leak, it is quite small or leak slowly.
I hope it can last another summer. Then charge once in two years is really not a bad thing. Forget about all the compressor/condensor repair.
By the way, I am keeping my AC on this winter. I read somewhere if you turn your AC off for long, it will cause leak in compressor. I did turn it off last winter since in Texas we usually don't need heat in the winter.:)

Last edited:

RollSeven

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Just screw them if your honda dealer wants to replace compressor for $2k....
I went to charge refrigerator in April , still good. A full summer. Obviously if there is really a leak, it is quite small or leak slowly.
I hope it can last another summer. Then charge once in two years is really not a bad thing. Forget about all the compressor/condensor repair.
By the way, I am keeping my AC on this winter. I read somewhere if you turn your AC off for long, it will cause leak in compressor. I did turn it off last winter since in Texas we usually don't need heat in the winter.:)
Thanks for the information!

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
thankfully i haven't had an issue with my AC as of yet, 70k miles now. i do have the 10 yr extended warranty since day 1, plus the AC warranty they added. appears its hit or miss with the AC issues on these cars so far.

RollSeven

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
thankfully i haven't had an issue with my AC as of yet, 70k miles now. i do have the 10 yr extended warranty since day 1, plus the AC warranty they added. appears its hit or miss with the AC issues on these cars so far.
I'm glad you've avoided the headache, but it sounds like you're covered regardless. Having to take the car in each year is a pain.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm glad you've avoided the headache, but it sounds like you're covered regardless. Having to take the car in each year is a pain.
yea that is awful, and horrible on Hondas part. cant imagine having no AC in Miami, hopefully something gets done.

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
My extended warranty came from my credit union, not Honda.

Basically, it is more of a mechanical breakdown insurance policy.
120 K miles and 10 years coverage.
I am at 12K miles and almost 4 years on my 2018.
The price varied based on the deductible you chose at purchase time.
I chose 100 dollar deductible.

I checked and it seems to cover most A/C
9. Air Conditioning - Compressor and mounting brackets, clutch and pulley, condenser, evaporator, temperature control programmer, high/low pressure cutoff switches, high/low pressure hoses, pressure cycling switch, thermostat, drier, temperature control head, fasteners for the components listed above and freon-refrigerant, if necessary, in conjunction with repair of components listed.

@latole has the correct answer.
Read the wording in your Extended Warranty that you purchase.
Well A/C stopped blowing cold air on my 2018 Civic EX at a little over 4 years and 18K miles.

Local Honda Dealer replaced the condenser on the extended time frame.
They previously told me they could see evidence of it leaking.

I asked that they add dye to check compressor and other parts. After a couple of weeks with limited A/C use (March), returned to dealer to check.

My 10 year/120K mile warranty/insurance group asked for evidence. Dealer sent images.
Compressor and a few other parts changed and warranty/insurance company bill came to $3800.
I picked it up after a few days and paid the $100 deductible.

RollSeven

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
A lawsuit against Honda alleging an air conditioning defect in certain Civics has been referred to private mediation, with the mediation proceedings to be completed by March 22, 2024. The parties are to then file a joint report within seven days regarding the progress of settlement discussions. The court also extended the deadline for Honda to file further briefing in support of its motion to dismiss the lawsuit to April 4, 2022, and set a hearing on this motion for May 20, 2022.
Per: US Auto Law
Thanks for this info. Do you have a web link to this information so I can stay up to date? Thx.

RollSeven

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Thanks for this info. Do you have a web link to this information so I can stay up to date? Thx.
A lawsuit against Honda alleging an air conditioning defect in certain Civics has been referred to private mediation, with the mediation proceedings to be completed by March 22, 2024. The parties are to then file a joint report within seven days regarding the progress of settlement discussions. The court also extended the deadline for Honda to file further briefing in support of its motion to dismiss the lawsuit to April 4, 2022, and set a hearing on this motion for May 20, 2022.
Per: US Auto Law
Disregard my previous message. I found the link.
https://usautolaw.com/lawsuits/honda-air-conditioning-defect-lawsuit/

Fk7ismetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
Wow. Thank you! Can other people benefit from this when he wins? Tired of this manufacturer defect in design and engineering
Sponsored