HONDA EARTH DREAMS ENGINE LAWSUIT FILED FOR CR-VS AND CIVICS

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
They list the 1.5, 2.0, and 2.4 liter Direct Injection engines as problematic, but my 2.0 is not DI. I wonder if I should worry? Just hit 80000 miles this morning, with no oil related issues (that I am aware of).

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Relevant thread - https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/

There are multiple owners having oil analysis performed. I am not aware of any reporting a significant amount of fuel dilution.

Also the article you linked appears to be for a personal lawsuit and not a class action lawsuit. No?

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Second paragraph states it’s a proposed class action, guess I’ll be keeping tabs on what’s going on with this

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Why does the lawsuit filed for 2.0 and 2.4 engines when only the 1.5 is having those oil dilution issues? And as someone above said, the 2.0 in our civics isn't DI...

AndreyL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess it’s time to get an oil analysis done...

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
They list the 1.5, 2.0, and 2.4 liter Direct Injection engines as problematic, but my 2.0 is not DI. I wonder if I should worry? Just hit 80000 miles this morning, with no oil related issues (that I am aware of).
The 2.0l Earth Dreams engine in the Civic Type R has direct injection.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Why does the lawsuit filed for 2.0 and 2.4 engines when only the 1.5 is having those oil dilution issues? And as someone above said, the 2.0 in our civics isn't DI...
The 2.0 NA isn't direct injected?? Did not know that. What is it? Sequential port?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The limited UOAs we have available all suggest these motors are doing just fine. There is definitely fuel in the oil - an expected side effect of DI. But nothing to suggest it's breaking down oil viscosity to dangerously low levels. Even those with FD readings over 5% aren't seeing unusually low viscosity or a noticeable increase in wear metals. When the crankcase is cold, excess fuel vapor is known to settle into the oil and drive up readings. But during normal operation, it should be siphoned and burned off via the PCV/oil separator.

The lawsuit suggests something else is going on with that case. Possibly a faulty injector (which has been reported before).

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
I believe 1.5L owners in cold climates have more dilution issues.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe 1.5L owners in cold climates have more dilution issues.
I think this only matters if you also drive very short distances and don't allow the engine to hit operating temps. Even if the climate is cold, I don't see why that would matter if the engine is hot.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The 2.0 NA isn't direct injected?? Did not know that. What is it? Sequential port?
Yup. All K20C2 engines are port injection.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I think this only matters if you also drive very short distances and don't allow the engine to hit operating temps. Even if the climate is cold, I don't see why that would matter if the engine is hot.
my drives are 2miles every day and my oil reeked of gas at 60% oil meter in the winter

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
True.
I've read of CR-V owners in cold climates having issues. Short trips are much longer with the 1.5L. It takes a while to warm up in very cold weather.I've also read of some CR-V 1.5L owners seeing the engine temp gauge dropping at long stop lights.
Sponsored