First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan (ABM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny timing, I was just wondering today why the AC didn't feel like it was getting very cold. There's also a little rattle in the center vents when I turn the fan up past 4/6. I'll definitely keep my eye on this.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
You know what is funny. Good ole Scotty K likes to whine on about Honda automatics as the weak link in a Honda. My 5 Honda ownership experience actually tells me it is the AC systems. Of 5 Hondas all with autos or CVT, two went wrong. AC systems? 4 went wrong, including my not even 2 year old CivicX.

Compressors, condensers, dryers and now the stupid siphon hose. Honda seems to always find a way to futz up their AC systems.

The upside for me with my two current Hondas are that my brother works at a major parts supply store so I got a replacement compressor for our CRV for a great price and that for the new Civic, all the attention to the stupid siphon hose whistle issue got them to see that my condenser needed replacing and they did both under warranty.

I hope that something comes out of it all for all the other owners though. All of us that only suffer/ed the issue with the whistle in the GenX had nothing at all close to a properly consistent experience getting the issue dealt with. This should not be the case.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I am residing outside US, but I will watch this thread.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
And then I watched this this morning:

At 5:20, he drops a bombshell about how Honda knows well about the AC issues on some models of cars with 1234yf...

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
what if Honda dealership is telling u that there's no leak, it's just that freon is low so it's not producing cold air? I just came back from the dealership and that's what they told me. So all they did was an evacuate and recharge. I only have 6 months left before my warranty expires. Can I still contact Berger Montague? lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic AC heading for lawsuit? AC prob.JPG

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately it's a sealed system so if freon isn't in there something is leaking

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Unfortunately it's a sealed system so if freon isn't in there something is leaking
damn, so what can I do now? how can I speed up the leakage so I can come back to Honda so that they will do something about it? Would blasting the AC on high everyday speeds up this leakage process?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
damn, so what can I do now? how can I speed up the leakage so I can come back to Honda so that they will do something about it? Would blasting the AC on high everyday speeds up this leakage process?
How many miles does your car have ?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it's currently at about 23k, have it for about 2.5 years already.
that sucks might want to see how much the extended warranty is if it's 900 or less it would be worth it. The a.c. compressor and all that is like 1500

RelapseZ

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really hope there's a lawsuit, I've been dealing with the summer heat with no AC for the second summer now :(

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
what if Honda dealership is telling u that there's no leak, it's just that freon is low so it's not producing cold air? I just came back from the dealership and that's what they told me. So all they did was an evacuate and recharge. I only have 6 months left before my warranty expires. Can I still contact Berger Montague? lol

AC prob.JPG
Be thankful you weren't charged for refrigerant since it's only supposed to be covered for 2 years or 24,000 miles unless required as part of a repair that is covered by the 3/36 or extended warranties.

Freon is a trademark of DuPont/Chemours that was used when marketing R-12. Automobiles haven't use Freon (or "FREE ON" according to the dealer employee) since 1993. The proper term is "refrigerant". :)

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hate when things break down, especially cars, thats why I buy Honda's! Then I learn of this :-( My car just turned 1 year ol on June 20th but only has 7k in millage. Hope this doesnt happen to me anytime soon.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
Hey everyone, Our 2016 EX-T started having an intermittent a/c not blowing cold. We took it in yesterday, July 1st, with 37K miles and the dealer completed two recalls. Replace engine oil without replacing filter, clear any DTCs, and update the PGM-FI, TCM, and A/C control unit software. Reset the throttle position learned values, and do the PCM idle learn procedure. My wife went to pick up the car and the A/C blew hot for over 10 minutes. Back into the shop....the told us the compressor was "bad" and wanted $1800.00.....I said, I don't think so, it is only 1K miles out of warranty. I called Honda USA and the dealership contacted the Honda rep for the area. They charged us $121.00 to complete the diagnostic....still not sure what they did. The dealership called today and said that Honda told them they would pay $1300.00 and that we would owe $500.00. We drove it today and it works fine....it is 91 degrees F outside.... When they called I asked if they are ordering a new compressor and they said no a rebuild kit. I asked, these rebuild kits cost $1800.00? Is the dealership ripping me off? Something seems off given what I have read on here and given the situations? Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored