Honda Civic Electric Parking Brake Problems Lead to Lawsuit

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
"problems occur because the parking brakes don't automatically activate when drivers exit the cars or when the driver-side doors are opened."

Yeah that's not how a car works....

Also the people on here, manual or automatic I have to shake my head at the ones that say just leaving in gear will suffice. Thats not how you get a licence here.

The breaks are for holding the wheels stationary. It's not the job of the transmission or the engine to do that for you.

Engaging the parking break is just something you should do every time, level surface or not.

No sympathy for those that have had thier car roll away on them.
Sponsored

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I am surprised it doesn't auto active when the seat belt is off, the door is open, and you aren't going over a certain speed.

This is what killed that star trek actor. His jeep rolled and pinned him against a gate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
You think that’s a technical advancement? WOW. Here’s a technical advancement: your CTR’s battery dies and you can’t undo your eBrake.
Well you wouldn't have to worry about starting your CTR and driving away anyway then would you?

My ebrake seems to engage "automatically" when I shut down. I just haven't figured out the scenarios on when this occurs "automatically".

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Well you wouldn't have to worry about starting your CTR and driving away anyway then would you?

My ebrake seems to engage "automatically" when I shut down. I just haven't figured out the scenarios on when this occurs "automatically".
Tesla is advanced, not our Civic’s lame eBrake.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
The guy could actually have a problem...my car sometimes does not engage the parking brake when pressing the button manually. It happens about once a month and I've never really nailed down what I'm doing wrong ,if anything. I've just had to make it a habit to push the tire with my foot as I walk away if I'm not 200% sure I saw the ebrake light come on. This is extra scary on a manual Civic, because the engine will not hold it in place even left in gear.

SirMorris(503)

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 H Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/honda-civic-electric-parking-brake-problems-lawsuit.shtml

"May 9, 2019 — Honda Civic electric parking brake problems, as well as gear shift and transmission problems, have caused a proposed class action lawsuit that includes 2016-2018 Civics.

The cars are equipped with continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and are allegedly prone to roll away even though the gear shifters appear to be in PARK.

According to the lawsuit, electric parking brake problems occur because the parking brakes don't automatically activate when drivers exit the cars or when the driver-side doors are opened.

Plaintiff Patrick Rojas says he purchased a 2016 Honda Civic in June 2016 for about $23,500 from a Honda dealership in Florida.

In October 2018, Plaintiff Rojas had parked and when he returned to the parking lot the Civic had allegedly rolled about 20 feet from where he parked. The plaintiff says his car was dented over the front wheel from where the Civic hit a truck.

In November 2018, Rojas says he took the car for an inspection and told the Honda dealer about the rollaway incident, so technicians performed a software update for free.

The plaintiff says he is now afraid the Civic will roll away again so he refuses to park in crowded lots.

According to the lawsuit, the CVTs have defects that leave drivers guessing if the cars are in PARK even when the gear shifters say they are.

In 2016, Honda recalled about 350,000 model year 2016 Civics and said, “if the EPB (electric parking brake) isn’t properly set and a parking gear is not selected by the driver, the vehicle could potentially roll away, increasing risk of a crash.”

Honda dealerships were told to update the vehicle stability assist software so the electric parking brakes would engage when the vehicles were parked. However, the plaintiff says the software update didn't repair the rollaway threat.

Additionally, 2017 Honda Civic owners have complained about the electric parking brake problems, yet the automaker hasn't recalled those model year cars.

The plaintiff says nearly 1 million vehicles are at risk of rolling away because of the CVT problems even though Honda allegedly knows customers shouldn't depend on what the gear shifters indicate.

Customers also allegedly wouldn't have purchased the Civics, or would have paid much less for them, if the automaker would have acknowledged the transmission and gear shifter problems.

The Honda Civic gear shift and electric parking brake lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida - Rojas, et al., v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc., et al."

I think the guy above probably put the gear shifter in Neutral instead of Park, AND forgot to engage electronic parking brake, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences?
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/honda-civic-electric-parking-brake-problems-lawsuit.shtml

"May 9, 2019 — Honda Civic electric parking brake problems, as well as gear shift and transmission problems, have caused a proposed class action lawsuit that includes 2016-2018 Civics.

The cars are equipped with continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and are allegedly prone to roll away even though the gear shifters appear to be in PARK.

According to the lawsuit, electric parking brake problems occur because the parking brakes don't automatically activate when drivers exit the cars or when the driver-side doors are opened.

Plaintiff Patrick Rojas says he purchased a 2016 Honda Civic in June 2016 for about $23,500 from a Honda dealership in Florida.

In October 2018, Plaintiff Rojas had parked and when he returned to the parking lot the Civic had allegedly rolled about 20 feet from where he parked. The plaintiff says his car was dented over the front wheel from where the Civic hit a truck.

In November 2018, Rojas says he took the car for an inspection and told the Honda dealer about the rollaway incident, so technicians performed a software update for free.

The plaintiff says he is now afraid the Civic will roll away again so he refuses to park in crowded lots.

According to the lawsuit, the CVTs have defects that leave drivers guessing if the cars are in PARK even when the gear shifters say they are.

In 2016, Honda recalled about 350,000 model year 2016 Civics and said, “if the EPB (electric parking brake) isn’t properly set and a parking gear is not selected by the driver, the vehicle could potentially roll away, increasing risk of a crash.”

Honda dealerships were told to update the vehicle stability assist software so the electric parking brakes would engage when the vehicles were parked. However, the plaintiff says the software update didn't repair the rollaway threat.

Additionally, 2017 Honda Civic owners have complained about the electric parking brake problems, yet the automaker hasn't recalled those model year cars.

The plaintiff says nearly 1 million vehicles are at risk of rolling away because of the CVT problems even though Honda allegedly knows customers shouldn't depend on what the gear shifters indicate.

Customers also allegedly wouldn't have purchased the Civics, or would have paid much less for them, if the automaker would have acknowledged the transmission and gear shifter problems.

The Honda Civic gear shift and electric parking brake lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida - Rojas, et al., v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc., et al."

I think the guy above probably put the gear shifter in Neutral instead of Park, AND forgot to engage electronic parking brake, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences?
I have a similar but yet slightly different gripe about the electronic parking brake on the new civics! I own a 2018 Si 6 speed manual transmission and the day I bought my car I drove it to work and parked in the parking lot on a slight downhill angle, very minimal. Now I've always left the car in gear and not put the parking brake on if parked on a level surface and this being my third SI, I've been doing it for a while now with no problem. However I came out for lunch and noticed the car had rolled out of its parking spot and was sitting in the middle of the parking lot about 20 feet away from where it was. Car was in gear and the parking brake was not on but I came to find out later that because of the electronic Hill assist feature that these new Hondas have, the car slips if the parking brakes not on and you can literally watch the car creep forward if it's on a hill, in gear with the parking brake not on.
My other issue with the electronic parking brake is if your battery dies and your parking brake has been applied, you can not disengage the parking brake until you can actually start the vehicle not auxiliary power but the car has to actually start running for the parking brake to be disengaged. I had an issue with one of the ignition multi fuses under the hood and it set off the immobilizer and it also set off a whirlwind of headache and trouble for me with this car!

AVLien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Dodge Charger 3.5L, '10 Lexus RX350 AWD
Country flag
I guess all technical advancements are stupid and useless too
Of course not. The point is, was there ever a reason to replace mechanical parking brakes/e-brakes with electronic ones, or did engineers just develop electronic ones out of boredom and/or something new and cool used to sell more cars?

Mechanical parking brakes worked just fine for many decades. Unfortunately, humans just have to "fix" what isn't broken sometimes.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
[QUOTE="AVLien, post: 614487, member: 28420"

Mechanical parking brakes worked just fine for many decades. Unfortunately, humans just have to "fix" what isn't broken sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I am surprised it doesn't auto active when the seat belt is off, the door is open, and you aren't going over a certain speed.

This is what killed that star trek actor. His jeep rolled and pinned him against a gate
When the auto brake hold is on, removing the seat belt automatically engages the electronic parking brake. I think this makes sense and is a welcome feature. If I don't want the EPB to automatically engage, then just don't enable ABH.

It would not make sense to automatically turn on the EPB when the door is open - or else we would not be able to get inside the car a-la Bruce Willis in RED/RED2 :p

Last edited:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
don't understand this problem. I can plainly hear the epb go on and off. If you don't hear it go on then it's not on.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When the auto brake hold is on, removing the seat belt automatically engages the electronic parking brake. I think this makes sense and is a welcome feature. If I don't want the EPB to automatically engage, then just don't enable ABH.

It would not make sense to automatically turn on the EPB when the door is open - or else we would not be able to get inside the car a-la Bruce Willis in RED/RED2 :p
How does the hand break turned on prevent the door from opening thus preventing you from getting in, in your example?

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
How does the hand break turned on prevent the door from opening thus preventing you from getting in, in your example?
My last sentence was intended as a humor (thus the tongue-sticking emoji). In the earlier post, there was a mention that the parking brake should turn on automatically when the doors are opened.
I joked that if the parking brake turns on automatically when the door is opened, then we would not be able to enter the car Bruce Willis-style (i.e. car is running/sliding when he jumps in the car) since the car will stop.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My last sentence was intended as a humor (thus the tongue-sticking emoji). In the earlier post, there was a mention that the parking brake should turn on automatically when the doors are opened.
I joked that if the parking brake turns on automatically when the door is opened, then we would not be able to enter the car Bruce Willis-style (i.e. car is running/sliding when he jumps in the car) since the car will stop.
Oh ok. I knew you cracking a joke just didn't get it. Haha

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag