I'm piling on the miles! Should I find a cheap lease car??

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Check out the Subaru crosstrek - such a great car lots of pep and that CVT transmission is really nice. Helped my Mom get one about a year or so ago and it's just a great all around car.
You must not be talking about the base model Crosstrek. That thing is literally one of the slowest cars in production. It makes my wife's HRV feel peppy.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
That is tough. Was it in or at the busy time that you keep seeing accidents?
Rush hour every time. Most of them are minor, but frequency is just so high. I drove by two yesterday in fact.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just rolled over 50K miles on my 2018.

It's your daily driver, make use of what you spent to get the car in the first place. Otherwise you're just saving it for the next person.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You must not be talking about the base model Crosstrek. That thing is literally one of the slowest cars in production. It makes my wife's HRV feel peppy.
I don't know that there were levels outside of trim - it feels nice and peppy off the line but not going to win any races.... It's my mom too - she's like 80 yo. lol

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
At about 56k on my 2018 (got it with 41k used). Mine is still in much better condition than others I have seen with half the mileage that come in for service. I've seen other base model civics with 200k already come through the shop. The only thing that I've seen that has been a personal area of concern is the fuel injectors. The Direct Injection injectors are really hit or miss on failure rates. Some will fail the Honda HDS air/fuel ratio balance self-diag testing, either running too rich or too lean. I wanted to check the warranty period on the injectors and replace them eventually, be it a 60k powertrain warranty period or the 100k-150k emissions warranty, just need to see what it falls under.

As far as value with mileage, I have seen the car go UP IN VALUE about 7k more than I paid for it since owning it. It's a limited edition, low production number vehicle, it will only hold it's value. I'm preparing to buy a spare longblock assembly in the future, nice to have and I can swap in a whole new zero mileage engine when I feel the original is worn out. So long as I take good care of it, mileage is just a number.

I'm anticipating the FK8 to compare to the M3 collector market. It's the first CTR to hit US shores, like the E30 M3 or the ITR. It may be one of the last "real sports cars" Honda makes in the next 10yrs as well as most manufacturers are making the final shift to hybrid only sports cars. I tell everyone who is shopping to buy a CTR now while you can.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Over 15,000 in my first year. I love my daily driver, but I'm starting to worry about the miles. Is it worth the money to keep the miles off of the R? I don't want a beater with mechanical concerns.
Just drive it. It’s a great dd. It’s not a great weekend/special drive car.

Did your driving mileage increase this past year?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
You can crash in any car. Cars are meant to be driven. Drive the car you have.
I agree with you, just want to reduce my chances of losing something I care more about because of past experience.

And winter SUCKS.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
tomorrow is never guaranteed. enjoy what you have today. i never understand why people will buy multiple cars and have them just sit while driving some beater to keep the miles off the others.
i can get behind it if its a classic car that has great worth and value or an actual purpose built race car. then go ahead and buy that beater.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Two reasons I personally have another car.

1. I see traffic accidents basically every single day in the busy rush hour traffic, so I'd like to save mine from such a fate.

2. Winter is harsh.

Don't care about mileage as a well maintained car will last.
Holy cow tell me about it. The reason I got my 2019 is because someone rear ended my 2006 Civic in a standstill traffic exiting the highway. His reason? "I was changing lane and wasn't looking what's in front." :doh:

I witness like 2 accidents a week, 2 near accidents a day. People seriously cannot drive for shit. I can safely say 99% of the accidents are caused by not using the blinker and not checking blind spots when changing lanes. throw some impatience in there and it's recipe for disaster.

I'm with you, looking to revive my 2006 civic and use it as a commute/beater. and only take the Type R on less busy days or days i am able to avoid the rush hours.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I kinda go halfway on this one... I got mine in Feb, and currently have 12.5k on the clock. I drive 140 miles to and from work each day, so that is the main contributor. I bought a $1500 '98 camry like 2 months ago and basically only use it for work, if I'm doing things around the yard or side jobs for people where I'd get dirty. Other than that, I drive the R as long as it's nice out for anything around town. I will be putting it away for most of the winter but if it gets dry for long enough that there's minimal salt, I'll take it out to keep everything in good running order. I agree that it is silly to spend this much on a car to not drive it often, but there are certain scenarios such as a long commute where you just have something to take the brunt of the miles. If I drive 4 days a week with the camry, I save myself 18k miles over JUST 6 MONTHS. I still drive it just about every day though, so it's not like I have a dedicated DD and only take the R out on weekends.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Holy cow tell me about it. The reason I got my 2019 is because someone rear ended my 2006 Civic in a standstill traffic exiting the highway. His reason? "I was changing lane and wasn't looking what's in front." :doh:

I witness like 2 accidents a week, 2 near accidents a day. People seriously cannot drive for shit. I can safely say 99% of the accidents are caused by not using the blinker and not checking blind spots when changing lanes. throw some impatience in there and it's recipe for disaster.

I'm with you, looking to revive my 2006 civic and use it as a commute/beater. and only take the Type R on less busy days or days i am able to avoid the rush hours.
Most accidents these days are because people are so concerned they may have missed something on their stupid phone since the last time they checked it, 4 seconds ago.

Phones are so fucking dangerous when driving, but nobody treats them as such when getting behind the wheel.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i agree tomorrow is never guaranteed but i have another car because i dont find my ctr fun to drive in my 60 mile commute in stop and go LA traffic. Those of you who live in this area know what that feels like. Not to mention, i dont trust the drivers around me when they driving around in stop and go like they are the only ones on the road.
If my commute was free flowing, its not a big deal (traffic was awesome during covid shut down lol) but in normal LA stop and go, no thanks. why waste my 200tw tires and stuff commuting to work back and forth in 5mph traffic.

i drive the ctr for any other purpose but i work so much so my car ended up having low miles. i didnt get a commuter with the intent to keep miles low though.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I love my CTR, but it's not a Ferrari. Drive it. Accidents happen every day, and if you get a beater there's no guarantee you won't get hit in the CTR anyway. I honestly don't understand people worrying about resale value unless you plan on selling it in the near future.

I was putting 12-14k miles on my car the first two years, then COVID hit and I stopped driving 60 miles round trip to the office every day. I had 27k miles on my 2018 in March 2020 and it's still pretty close to that now. But when our office opens back up I will gladly resume commuting and enjoy the drive.
Sponsored