I'm piling on the miles! Should I find a cheap lease car??

OP
OP
GTWaggin'

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
All good, sensible comments. I do feel the saved winter miles would be a big plus. Our MI winters are pretty light these days. Put on All Seasons, instead of dedicated snows, and did fine. We do have an Outback, and a VW Sportwagen in the family, but the VW is the kids shared car, and will be heading to college in the fall. I might look at a certified Fit. I've always liked that model. I do feel the CTR is special enough to baby a bit though.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I love my CTR, but it's not a Ferrari. Drive it. Accidents happen every day, and if you get a beater there's no guarantee you won't get hit in the CTR anyway. I honestly don't understand people worrying about resale value unless you plan on selling it in the near future.

I was putting 12-14k miles on my car the first two years, then COVID hit and I stopped driving 60 miles round trip to the office every day. I had 27k miles on my 2018 in March 2020 and it's still pretty close to that now. But when our office opens back up I will gladly resume commuting and enjoy the drive.
I don't think anyone here is really talking about resale value.

I don't really understand the argument of commuting and having fun, my route is 90% grid lock traffic, so taking a fun car isn't going to suddenly make sitting in traffic any better.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
This car is a keeper don't plan on getting rid of it. Just need to find a car for the wife, because i fear her driving a manual transmission. Especially this car lol
But why? Just teach her how to drive stick. My wife taught me to drive manual on this car. She said this car is easy mode.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But why? Just teach her how to drive stick. My wife taught me to drive manual on this car. She said this car is easy mode.
I learned to drive stick on this car and everything still feels fantastic. 12k miles and I've been told I'm better than some people who have driven stick since they got their license. With rev hang and rev match, you barely have to think about shifting and can focus on technique. Therefore, I was able to approach it very scientifically and when I had a shift that wasn't smooth, I would try and figure out what part of the equation I had gotten wrong. The rev match for downshifting in particular is insanely useful to a driver in training! Definitely still need to learn to heel toe though.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I actually liked driving the Type R as a daily for these reasons -

- Stops better than most cars
- Very nimble to dodge things
- Nice and light so it is agile and able to stop / react better
- Easy to see by others (unless they are on their phone then all bets are off)
- Brake hold allowing you to rest your legs while in traffic while still being safely stopped with brakes and the lights engaged (brake hold FTW)

If you have a brightly colored Type R I think it's a safer car to risk in traffic than some others.

Additionally -

- The Type R will have a better crash survivability / lower injury chance if in an accident over some old 'beater'.

Personally I'd rather walk away from a destroyed Type R then get wheeled away from a wrecked beater because I was keeping the Type R to the side.

I don't really understand the argument of commuting and having fun, my route is 90% grid lock traffic, so taking a fun car isn't going to suddenly make sitting in traffic any better.
Brake hold in traffic made the Type R 'easier to drive' long term in stop and go over my other cars. So kind of don't agree but only if you use brake hold.

Last edited:

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I learned to drive stick on this car and everything still feels fantastic. 12k miles and I've been told I'm better than some people who have driven stick since they got their license. With rev hang and rev match, you barely have to think about shifting and can focus on technique. Therefore, I was able to approach it very scientifically and when I had a shift that wasn't smooth, I would try and figure out what part of the equation I had gotten wrong. The rev match for downshifting in particular is insanely useful to a driver in training! Definitely still need to learn to heel toe though.
I'm no pro at heel toe, I can do it at speed on a track well enough, but I find no need for it in this car. The car will do it perfectly every time so why not let it.

All the old school guys will harp on you, but fk em.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

yeah i dont get it either.
sure i can drive my ctr 60 miles a day in 5 mph traffic no problem. but why?

I'm a lot more comfortable sitting in my 2016 ILX in 5 mph traffic vs a CTR.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm no pro at heel toe, I can do it at speed on a track well enough, but I find no need for it in this car. The car will do it perfectly every time so why not let it.

All the old school guys will harp on you, but fk em.
Oh for sure! When I've tried to do it, it almost was more difficult to heel toe because it already snaps to the RPM as soon as you slide the shifter into gear. I assume you want to be more simultaneous where you clutch in, then tap the gas and shift into gear at pretty much the same time.

I was more referring to when I inevitably get an old EG or EK and build the hell out of it. No rev match there lol!

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

So the real question is for those of us with a daily, especially those that sit in traffic, is it also stick or did you go auto?

I wanted to get a stick but was having a hard time finding a solid beater, let alone even getting replies. Since I wanted to stick to low budget, I just jumped on the first solid car I found. I'm honestly pretty glad as it's nice to just cruise into work some days without much thought aside from watching the road.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag

The OP said he was starting to worry about the miles. Why would you worry about putting miles on a Honda unless it was a resale concern?

As for gridlock, the DC area (where I live) is not famous for open, uncongested roads. I still enjoy driving my CTR and do so whenever I get the chance. If I was just sitting in traffic all day every day, though, a fun car wouldn't be very high on my priority list. But I have one car, so that's what I drive.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I'm thinking peoples impression of traffic is probably just very different. I'm in the stuff that seriously isn't moving, a 25 minute drive ends up being an hour and a half.

Oh for sure! When I've tried to do it, it almost was more difficult to heel toe because it already snaps to the RPM as soon as you slide the shifter into gear. I assume you want to be more simultaneous where you clutch in, then tap the gas and shift into gear at pretty much the same time.

I was more referring to when I inevitably get an old EG or EK and build the hell out of it. No rev match there lol!
Yah, power to you if you want to practice it. I found it easy to learn by traveling at a decent enough speed to brake real hard, doing it at a normal pace feels more awkward to me.

This is all with the assumption that you already know how to just rev match(different from heel toe). Oh and turn the auto rev match off.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The OP said he was starting to worry about the miles. Why would you worry about putting miles on a Honda unless it was a resale concern?

As for gridlock, the DC area (where I live) is not famous for open, uncongested roads. I still enjoy driving my CTR and do so whenever I get the chance. If I was just sitting in traffic all day every day, though, a fun car wouldn't be very high on my priority list. But I have one car, so that's what I drive.
Assumptions, we all make them. Everyone has a different reason to worry about something.

I bought my car not to enjoy driving to work, but to enjoy driving it outside of work, aka track/autox and w.e else. So a fun car was requirement on my list. Now couple that with wearing out expensive performance parts/tires or even possible damage driving through construction zones.. the value of a beater increases for me personally. Oh and can't forget winter.

Although, it's pretty funny showing up to a work lunch with your loud "racecar" and people start asking you wtf it is.

I have the luxury and desire to have another car, so I do.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
So the real question is for those of us with a daily, especially those that sit in traffic, is it also stick or did you go auto?

I wanted to get a stick but was having a hard time finding a solid beater, let alone even getting replies. Since I wanted to stick to low budget, I just jumped on the first solid car I found. I'm honestly pretty glad as it's nice to just cruise into work some days without much thought aside from watching the road.
auto. its just much less fatiguing to drive in my commute.
I'm thinking peoples impression of traffic is probably just very different. I'm in the stuff that seriously isn't moving, a 25 minute drive ends up being an hour and a half.
yeah makes sense. We all live in different areas of the world and commute in different hours.

not everyone has experienced it but im sure everyone has at least heard of how bad traffic is down here in Los Angeles lol. The traffic was awesome during covid shutdown but now the traffic here is basically back to how it used to be.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
auto. its just much less fatiguing to drive in my commute.

yeah makes sense. We all live in different areas of the world and commute in different hours.

not everyone has experienced it but im sure everyone has at least heard of how bad traffic is down here in Los Angeles lol. The traffic was awesome during covid shutdown but now the traffic here is basically back to how it used to be.
I've had the "pleasure" of driving in L.A. traffic and I've got to say I really wouldn't want a manual transmission car in that scenario, even with brake hold. I actually bought my Si in Santa Monica, but it was on a Saturday, so traffic was only mildly horrendous.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drive it! It is not a painting to hang on a wall. These cars need to be driven, and are built to take it.
With proactive maintenance you should be fine.

If you are someone who likes to flip a car every two or three years, that is different. But with the Type R, you will still be fine on resale even with higher mileage on it.
Sponsored