TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
Have you ever driven or owned any fun sporty cars like this? Or are you a muscle car guy that might prefer a V8?

I love my CTR but will give another opinion here. You might be better suited with something like a GTI. Its a much better car than the ST and not as expensive as the CTR.

If you are worried about snow then a Subaru might be a good car to test. I had an STI and loved it. Its old tech but a great DD and easy to mod.
Sponsored

anhanymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2009 Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will vote for yes, but at the end of the day you are the one buying it. All I can say is that when I heard the CTR was coming to the states, I knew right away that I had to get one. I followed news and updates on it avidly and from the moment they unveiled it, I was in love. I had to wait a while before I got mine because well, dealerships are assholes and wanted to put 5-20k markups on the car, and quite frankly I wasnt willing to cough up that much. its the best bang for your buck at 35k, but 40-50k? Id be needing a hell of alot more. But you came at a good time and should be able to find one for msrp relatively easy. If your second option is a fiesta ST, I wouldnt bother and just keep your current accord. And if you are really getting the manual bug, go with a sport hatch. being that im the one driving the car, I just couldnt live with Fords interior.

-as far as negative attention, my answer is no. Ive passed by numerous cops and none of them seemed to pay me any mind. If you dont drive like an ahole and follow the law youll be fine. At the end of the day a cop will give you a ticket for speeding whether youre in an accord or the CTR.

-for rain, the tires really surprised me. They perform really well in the rain. Grant it when its raining im not out there pushing the car hard. As long as you driving "normally" the car feels composed and tires dont slide. And ive driven in some bad rain. With that said the car itself should handle perfectly find in rain and moderate snow being that its front wheel drive, tires and wheels can easily be changed out albeit for a little extra money down the road.

-Maintenance wise I dont know if anyone can answer that for you right now, but if the history of Honda has taught us anything, their cars are reliable and very easy to work on. If im not mistaken the fk2 in EU was basically the test car for the most current CTR release, uses the basically the same engine, and I havent heard of those cars having much if any issues.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I'm looking for a more fun car. I want to get back into a manual. I don't have family and I'm not hauling a lot of stuff regularly.

I've always wanted a Type R and I love the way the FK8 looks. However, if I'm being honest, I drive like a grandpa 90% of the time. I would never approach the limits of a Type R. One of the first things I'd do is swap out the tires for something softer and all season. This would be my DD. Is it still worth it?

I'm also considering a Fiesta ST - they're heavily discounted and I've actually test driven one. It's fun but they're so small, the interior is shitty and it's a Ford. This could potentially be my DD or a second car.

Anyways, any thoughts would be welcome.
I had owned both and Type R is the best fwd car I've ever experience. It's light years ahead of the competition and amazing in corners. Before the Civic Type R the Fiesta ST was the best and it's only because it's so small to get the agility whereas the Type R gets it from engineering so it's much more stable in corners instead of torque steer darting around.

I've traded my Type R for the M2c for now and ordered another R since I like it so much. I'm waiting for a revised version with all the bugs fixed. I just want another since it's the best FWD car today.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
How's build quality? I've heard of the brake and drivetrain noise, but what about rattles from interior bits? Is the Swindon factory known for quality?
Assuming it's like mine, it'll be good to go. I'm on my second Swindon-built car (first my EP3, now my FK7 Sport Touring) and they've both been good.

Back to your early remark about Fiestas and importing -- Ford will stop selling sedans and small cars here in the States soon. They'll be going with trucks and SUVs only, plus so-called "white space" vehicles (read: crossovers), at least until the next gas crisis hits, when they might go bankrupt (IMO).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I bought my Civic for the same reasons you did actually, I wanted a fun car that was also practical for everyday driving. I normally don't drive fast, but will drive spiritedly every once in a while. My cross-shopping list was different though: Civic Type R, Focus RS, and Golf R. WRX STI was not included in my list since it lacked Apple CarPlay. I couldn't find a Golf R for the life of me anywhere nearby at the time so that was out. I was able to find a 2017 Focus RS to test drive, but it didn't quite meet my needs. So the Civic it was.

That said, it will fit all of your requirements, and to be honest, I don't ever meet the full potential of the Type R, and outside the people who do track it, I don't think anyone does. If you drive like a grampa, Comfort Mode may help you out, and you'll get decent gas milage out of the vehicle. I did put all season tires on my vehicle, but I have to warn you, you don't have many options; I was deciding between Nitto and Continental, Continental discontinued their DWS for the DWS06 (which isn't available for the Type R's 20" rims), so I was more or less forced to get the Nitto NeoGens.

To answer some other questions
  • I have attracted one police officer who was driving 5 under in a 4-lane expressway, when I decided to go speed limit to pass him, he hit his lights, I slowed down and he was waving his finger "no" at me and took the exit. Outside of that, I've run into cops doing some stupid things (but they were busy with other cars). The type R looks crazy, but from a distance, it looks like any other Civic (except for the wing, which is also somewhat difficult to see from a distance). It's also not loud either so it really doesn't attract attention.
  • I have done the car in rain, if you're easy on the gas, you'll be fine. I've lost traction (slightly) during a turn once in my life, had a little bit of understeer (TCS actually didn't kick for some reason), I just let off the gas a little and was good to go. I haven't had much experience in snow yet as I got the car mid March when all the snow slowly stopped (had a couple flurries in late April, but I wouldn't call that snow; nothing stuck).
  • In terms of maintenance outside of warranty, that depends. Issues may become harder to diagnose (electrical gremlins are a PITA), but electrical components may be easier to replace over some mechanical ones (getting to them may be a different story altogether). I know a couple of the people that have brought their Civic in for the auto-rev matching TSB quoted a 3-5 hour job. So fixing that particular part would probably cost 500-750 dollars?
  • If the Fiesta ST made you crack a smile without ever hitting speed limit, maybe something with less power would make you happy as well? Maybe test drive a Civic SI, Focus ST, Golf GTI? For something faster and more comparable the Golf R. If you were in Europe I'd say get a Yaris GRMN and forget about it; you'd get fun and reliability all in a package similar to the Fiesta ST.
  • You commented on ride quality, and the Civic Type R has good ride quality. It's not a boat and won't absorb every road imperfection, but it's livable at worst and good at best. Also comfort mode helps with poor roads as well.
  • In terms of build quality, I've had vibrations that sounded like it was coming from the front-passenger wheel well. It's only audible driving on torn up roads though. Otherwise, besides the use of plastic, I'm happy with the build. It's not up to par with something like a mid-sized sedan though. If you're interested in interior build quality, the Golf R may be worth a look.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
I just took my CTR to Irvine on Friday from San Diego--33.0 mpg at average speed of around 75 mph and I was so comfortable in the stock seats, the ride was great in Comfort mode, and I enjoyed the stereo too. On the way back, I was caught in I-5 Friday afternoon traffic, and it was miserable, but the clutch and shifter are so easy that it made gridlock tolerable. The great advantage of the CTR vs. other sports cars like the M3/S4 or Mustang GT-Camaro SS, etc. is that you can actually use all of its power while DD; whereas, for the others, you really can't. And to be honest, cruising on the highway at 80 mph with little sound is quite nice actually vs. some V8 rumble which makes you deaf after a few hours. And as many people state above, just dipping into the throttle a little from 2500 to 4000 rpm is thrilling as the engine significantly plants you in your seat and yet you are still traveling at rather pedestrian speeds which will not get any attention from the police.

and my insurance did not change at all going from a WRX to the CTR, so it is not like I am paying so much extra to own this car--overall it's a no-brainer--and if you need more support, read the recent article from Motor Trend in which the CTR dominated all of the other hatchbacks currently for sale..http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hond...gen-golf-r-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-comparison/

assuming you can get a decent price on one, it will put a smile on your face every time you drive it--my only worry with my CTR is being even more careful about how I drive it and where I park it, as I want to keep it in pristine condition.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
Can you elaborate on what you feel needs to be revised?
I didn't want to discourage buyers since the type r is a great car regardless.
1. random 2nd gear grind due to the clutch delay. You'd notice all the time performance drive or once in a long while street driving.
2. random radio freeze.
3. XM glitch that doesn't display presets. you need to follow instruction on this forum to reset ( I love ff and rwd with XM for presets. Best feature ever!
4. TPMS goes off once every couple of month. the plus side is no sensors!!
5. Rattles but it's a civic...

These are some on top of my head.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
If you liked the Fiesta ST, you should test the Focus ST as a few have suggested. The base ST1 trim is available for very low prices (under $20k I believe), but those appear to be selling out around here (Philly). The top trim ST3 (nav, leather, etc.) is going for mid-$26k range, which is a great deal, and they aren't selling quickly so prices might go lower. I've tested a few, and they're excellent. The FoST doesn't measure up to the CTR, of course, but unlike most cars today, it has real personality and it provides the same DD qualities as any hot hatch. The ride quality is decent, and I think it has less road noise than my 2010 Acura TSX. The Civic Si does have better handling, with less body roll and truly surgical precision relative to the ST.

But hey, if the cost isn't really an issue, just get the CTR.

camzben

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI, '97 Viper GTS Venom 650R, '04 Civic SI, '11 Ford Edge, '08 Pontiac G6
Vehicle Showcase
Have you thought about getting an SI? It is not the beast the Type R is, but still fun to drive as a daily. I would love to have a Type R but it doesn't seem practical for myself as a DD. Plus I keep my "fun" car in the garage and there isn't room for a Type R. No way I would want it outside all the time.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
"However, if I'm being honest, I drive like a grandpa 90% of the time. I would never approach the limits of a Type R. One of the first things I'd do is swap out the tires for something softer and all season. This would be my DD. Is it still worth it?"
I don't understand why all of you are encouraging this gent to buy a Type R, because you are doing him a huge disservice.
He said that 90% of the time he drives like a grandpa.
The Type R is a very high performance car, that begs the driver to step on it and drive aggressively, take corners as fast as they can, every chance they get.
It's a car that should be taken to the track.
Otherwise this car is too much car for anyone, and they should consider either the Civic Sport or Civic Si.
Given what the op said, the Type R would not only be a waste of his hard earned money, but it would be a waste because it would be preventing another potential R owner from owning a Type R and driving it like it was made to be driven.
The Type R is a car that was made to be taken out and driven hard on the back roads or canyons, with no destination in mind, just for the sake of enjoying the limits of the car.
OP you would be much better off buying a Civic hatchback, Si or VW GTI and save your money, because you can still have a lot of fun with those cars, which won't attract the attention of a Type R, and give you better mileage, and be less to insure.
I ask the OP to refrain from buying a Type R, which will let another, genuine R enthusiast to buy it and enjoy it the way it was designed to be driven.
Anyone who buys a Type R and drives it like a grandpa 90% of the time is called a "poser", and has wasted a lot of their hard earned money.
To put this whole thread in the proper perspective, the OP buying the Civic Type R instead of an Si or hatchback sport which would satisfy all his needs, is like someone going out and buying the high performance Porsche GT3, and driving it like the four door Panamera.
You don't go out and buy a high performance automobile, without the intention of driving the wheels off it, or it is a complete waste of money.
Get my point gents?

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
"However, if I'm being honest, I drive like a grandpa 90% of the time. I would never approach the limits of a Type R. One of the first things I'd do is swap out the tires for something softer and all season. This would be my DD. Is it still worth it?"
I don't understand why all of you are encouraging this gent to buy a Type R, because you are doing him a huge disservice.
He said that 90% of the time he drives like a grandpa.
The Type R is a very high performance car, that begs the driver to step on it and drive aggressively, take corners as fast as they can, every chance they get.
It's a car that should be taken to the track.
Otherwise this car is too much car for anyone, and they should consider either the Civic Sport or Civic Si.
Given what the op said, the Type R would not only be a waste of his hard earned money, but it would be a waste because it would be preventing another potential R owner from owning a Type R and driving it like it was made to be driven.
The Type R is a car that was made to be taken out and driven hard on the back roads or canyons, with no destination in mind, just for the sake of enjoying the limits of the car.
OP you would be much better off buying a Civic hatchback, Si or VW GTI and save your money, because you can still have a lot of fun with those cars, which won't attract the attention of a Type R, and give you better mileage, and be less to insure.
I ask the OP to refrain from buying a Type R, which will let another, genuine R enthusiast to buy it and enjoy it the way it was designed to be driven.
Anyone who buys a Type R and drives it like a grandpa 90% of the time is called a "poser", and has wasted a lot of their hard earned money.
To put this whole thread in the proper perspective, the OP buying the Civic Type R instead of an Si or hatchback sport which would satisfy all his needs, is like someone going out and buying the high performance Porsche GT3, and driving it like the four door Panamera.
You don't go out and buy a high performance automobile, without the intention of driving the wheels off it, or it is a complete waste of money.
Get my point gents?
I wouldn't call anyone a poser for not driving the piss out of the car 24/7. I bet 75% of Type R owners won't bring the car to the track. I bought a Type R because it drives and feels special, something you will not get out of an Si or GTI.
I don't plan on taking my car to the track for awhile, but driving this car and experiencing the way the throttle response is as well as how it handles brings a smile to my face. It is up the OP if he thinks its worth the money to have something he will not have the bug to upgrade in the future.
I recommend OP to test drive an SI and GTI, if you are wanting a little more out of the drive, go with the Type R. If you are happy with how they perform then by all means save the cash!

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Trust me on this one, I've owned many high performance cars over my lifetime including Vettes and Porsches, and if you buy one and don't utilize it's potential on a regular basis then you are wasting your money.
I owned one of the most extreme, if not the most extreme cars that can be licensed for the road called the Ariel Atom for 7 years.
You don't drive the Atom to go get groceries or pick something up and the Home Depot, you drive it for the pleasure of driving period.
Same thing with the Type R, you take it out for experiencing its performance, otherwise get a Honda Fit.
The Type R has amazing performance, and if you're not exploiting it's performance on a regular basis then you're wasting your money and are much better off getting the Si.
That's the reason the Si was made, for people that like a sporty car, but do not drive aggressively on a regular basis, or go to the racetrack.
I recommend the OP take out a Civic Si and see if it satisfies all his needs, I bet it will.
Peace.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I get a Type R? Looking for a more fun car, not a track car 037 [1280x768].JPG

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
The great thing about being an adult is that you get to choose how to spend your money. I have owned performance cars before the CTR, and I never took one to the track. I drive aggressively at times, but pick my spots. Most of the time, I drive in a major urban area with lots of traffic, so I don't get to open it up much. Does that mean I should have passed, and let somebody else buy the R so they could drive it harder? Screw that. And if somebody else thinks that makes me a poser, I don't give a crap.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Oh you are one of those "track" guys. I have a lot of friends who goes to the track and have met a lot of people who goes to the track and there is always at least one guy who thinks you have to "track" the car in order to enjoy it.

Go ahead and call me a poser all you want lol. I don't really care what people like you think. You are not paying for my mods or the car.
Sponsored