Should I get a Type R? Looking for a more fun car, not a track car

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Thanks for the great responses.

- Do you attract any negative attention? Like cops? How many of you have been pulled over?
- How is the Type R in rain and light snow? Assuming all seasons for snow.
- Anyone know if maintenance will be back breaking later on? I know Honda's are known for reliability, but will something like the rev match system be a bitch/expensive to fix after the warranty?

I may be able to get a new Fiesta for like 14k+ttl. I think depreciation on that will be significantly less than the Type R, unless they cease imports for whatever reason.
thats a pretty big price difference lol .... 14k vs 35k...

as for your questions.
1. you will attract both good and bad. I have been pulled over but that was due to my mistake but it was so minor that maybe if i was driving a camry or something, the cop probably wouldn't have pulled me over.
2. Rarely rains and doesnt snow in cali so I am not sure. There are users here who do and it seems to be ok.
3. Maintenance will be more expensive than the lower trims and will be more expensive than a fiesta st most likely.
Sponsored

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
if you have any passengers at all and are not in on the fun you're having in the FiST, it would suck for them.

it's so cramped and the interior is like the fisher price version of the focus one (which isn't really much to write home about either).

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I do question two things from the OP. all season tires and a softer ride. Wondering if you have test driven a CTR? If not, there's not much soft about it. It's a performance-based car. higher profile tires of the all-season variety will certainly cushion the blows of potholes (as would smaller diameter wheels), but even in comfort mode this is not your father's Civic from a ride standpoint. Now, it's not a Focus RS either where your fillings will fall out just driving to the grocery with the suspension on the softest setting. Just want you to understand what you would be getting. It's stiff but accommodating.

OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
thats a pretty big price difference lol .... 14k vs 35k...

as for your questions.
1. you will attract both good and bad. I have been pulled over but that was due to my mistake but it was so minor that maybe if i was driving a camry or something, the cop probably wouldn't have pulled me over.
2. Rarely rains and doesnt snow in cali so I am not sure. There are users here who do and it seems to be ok.
3. Maintenance will be more expensive than the lower trims and will be more expensive than a fiesta st most likely.
Yeah, big difference. The FiST would be almost throwaway cheap. I'm cross shopping because I cracked a huge smile test driving it. Without going over the speed limit. Otherwise it's a piece of shit. The Type R would mean trading in my Accord and committing to keeping it for a while.

How's build quality? I've heard of the brake and drivetrain noise, but what about rattles from interior bits? Is the Swindon factory known for quality?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I do question two things from the OP. all season tires and a softer ride. Wondering if you have test driven a CTR? If not, there's not much soft about it. It's a performance-based car. higher profile tires of the all-season variety will certainly cushion the blows of potholes (as would smaller diameter wheels), but even in comfort mode this is not your father's Civic from a ride standpoint. Now, it's not a Focus RS either where your fillings will fall out just driving to the grocery with the suspension on the softest setting. Just want you to understand what you would be getting. It's stiff but accommodating.
I have not had a test drive - I may try to get a used lot to let me test drive one. I know what performance cars ride like - I've driven my friend's S2000 a lot and I've test driven cars like the BRZ. Those were bearable but probably a little more extreme than I would want everyday. Please tell me the Type R isn't as bad. The Type R is especially appealing because of the cargo space and real passenger seats.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
What'd you do with your stockies? Were you able to sell them to someone else?
I have sold three of them, still have one left, posted in the classifieds. People who keep the stock wheels tend to need an extra at some point. :)

BerzerkerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have not had a test drive - I may try to get a used lot to let me test drive one. I know what performance cars ride like - I've driven my friend's S2000 a lot and I've test driven cars like the BRZ. Those were bearable but probably a little more extreme than I would want everyday. Please tell me the Type R isn't as bad. The Type R is especially appealing because of the cargo space and real passenger seats.
If price is a factor, have you considered the lower trim Civics? Si or Civic hatch Sport? both have the space, and a blast to drive around. But sounds like you are kinda leaning more on the FiST, and if size is an issue maybe go to a Focus ST or RS, but keep in mind the RS is about the same amount and is very stiff suspension wise.

I was leaning on RS, but then I found a CTR for the price I wanted. I am happy with my choice but down the line I may look for an RS to beat around.

OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Price is a factor, but I could honestly spend more if I wanted to. I like the idea of a car I don't have to baby - reading some threads, it sounds like some of you all are really babying this car.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I just got my Type-R three weeks ago. I live in canada and it's my DD. I don't drive like a madman but play with it about 10% of the time. I am going to slap 18's on it for the winter. I do not ever plan to track the car....i have just always been a car enthusiast who loves power but use it at the appropriate times. I absolutely love it as my DD. I had a mazdaspeed3....WRX and 2018 hatch sport...now i have this and love this car more than any i have ever owned. Don't think twice...get it. I even had my ECU unlocked and intalled my Ktuner V1.2 last night :)
Where do you plan on getting your rims ? What size and can you provide a link?

elmoTK

R-00272
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW '17 CTR, '07 TSX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't buy it. Your R will never be happy if it can't run free. Let someone else adopt it in a home where it can do its thing. :drive:;)

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I would test drive an SI, still a really fun car and you can get one for 2k off msrp most areas. The ktuner really wakes up the car for another few hundred, and if you don't think that will be enough power grab that type-r!

Have fun!

randmtsk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
Country flag
I'm looking for a more fun car. I want to get back into a manual. I don't have family and I'm not hauling a lot of stuff regularly.

I've always wanted a Type R and I love the way the FK8 looks. However, if I'm being honest, I drive like a grandpa 90% of the time. I would never approach the limits of a Type R. One of the first things I'd do is swap out the tires for something softer and all season. This would be my DD. Is it still worth it?

I'm also considering a Fiesta ST - they're heavily discounted and I've actually test driven one. It's fun but they're so small, the interior is shitty and it's a Ford. This could potentially be my DD or a second car.

Anyways, any thoughts would be welcome.
I'm with you...the interior in the Fiesta is rough. For that alone I would scratch it off my list.
Sponsored