The car I should get is a WRX or a Tacoma. Change my mind.

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
easily changed with a proper $4,000 - $4,500

unless you get cheap crap aftermarket wheels and tires..then disregard the 4-4.5k

You don’t have to buy Volks. There are plenty of lightweight flow-formed wheels out there for ~$2000/set that I wouldn’t consider to be “cheap crap”. Add Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for ~$1000/set and you have a nice lightweight wheel and tire package for $3000. If money is tight, you can sell your factory 20s for $1500-$2500 depending on condition. Now, you’re only out $500-$1500.

Mcgugugaga

First Name
Jia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
Will never buy another subaru. Mine had all kinds of issues from day one. The only good thing about it was the trade in value.

Pzb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Country flag
TL;DR I want a CTR but a WRX or Tacoma fits my needs better. Convince me to get the Type R.

I've decided to finally replace my 2007 Civic EX Sedan. I want the Type R but I'm torn because the CTR doesn't fit my needs completely but it does accommodate them enough where it wouldn't be pointless to get it.

I'm a 27yo male RN in CA with zero debt and will start travel nursing this year which entails 3-month-long assignments across various states.

Other applicable considerations: I'm single with no kids or pets, I mountain bike in the summer, I snowboard 3-4 times every winter (albeit we take other people's cars), and I go camping maybe twice a year (again, my car is never picked). I currently work 3x/week and live 8.5 miles away (15 minutes, zero traffic); I have an assigned parking spot in the garage in my condo and park in a parking garage at work.

Since high school, I knew I would end up with a WRX eventually but ever since the CTR, my feelings have changed drastically. I've so far convinced myself that I really don't need the AWD, moonroof, nor the heated or leather seats in sunny San Diego. It's not a hatchback, the interior is way more updated in the Civic, it doesn't have CarPlay, and I really don't want to buy a car that is in the process of being revised (to the Global Platform in 2020/21).

Given the specific market that this car is in, wondering if anybody here has been in the same dilemma and how did you eventually make your choice (applies to WRX, STi, ST, RS, GTI, Golf R, Type R etc.)?

(Apologies in advance, seeing as that I'm a male nurse, the majority of my friends/colleagues don't share the same interest in cars that I do and have nobody really to talk this over with).
Get what is cheapest to own and will last you until the car dies. If you don’t have need to haul something in an open bed, then purchase a fuel sipping SUV. Spend your money on travel to enjoy your first love... boarding, biking, etc.

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
One tip, since you're in So-Cal you might want to find someone in their group that will let you test drive if they're kind enough. Also, since you're in California you might have better luck finding one near MSRP outside of the state.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Coming from a 2017 WRX. The CTR is an all around better car. Better daily driver so far as well.

WRX feels ancient compared to the CTR. AWD is the only plus even though it is Open Diff on both ends. Blah.

My WRX was a good solid car. But the CTR is much better in every category. Including driving experience.

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I definitely agree with the others that say test drive the cars first. I thought I wanted a WRX for my wife and then I went and test drove one and wow, it just doesn't have the power you'd think that it does. If anything I'd suggest an STI over a WRX. I also thought I would want a Chevy Colorado ZR2, test drove one, and was disappointed. The only way to really know what you want is to get in the seat and try it out. The Type R might be a little more difficult to test drive because dealers are iffy about it. I was able to test drive mine after letting them run my credit. I traded in my Evo X for the CTR and it was definitely worth it. The Evo was great, but the CTR is using today's technology.

Also, CTR can carry your toys. :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen The car I should get is a WRX or a Tacoma. Change my mind. DSC_0014

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
I hope I can help as my last two vehicles were exactly what you are suggesting!

Well almost.... my last car was an STI hatch. I live in snowy MA and lived through winter. For CA I would definitely suggest the CTR over a WRX or even an STI. Its somehow just more fun to drive, better seats etc. The STI is easily modded though if that is your thing. As stated the tech is OLD. The car always sounded like there was a can of nickels rolling around in the back.

Mileage is way better the CTR. Hatch is no longer available and they never offered a sunroof in the STI hatch. Heated seats are great and I miss them but you won't.

My vehicle before that was a 2008 taco. I have always been lucky, as my wife and I were able to make out vehicles a complete "set" that worked together. When I had the Taco she had a Corolla. We used hers when we needed good mileage and easy drives. We used the truck when we needed to haul stuff or go biking.

I really loved the Tacoma for many years BUT..... they are dog slow. They use the same engine from 1975 with no plans to change it. It is kind of fun to drive especially because they still make it in a 6sp manual I believe. Once the initial excitement wears off though it really is a utility truck. It drives like a truck, handles like a truck and accelerates like a barge.

Tossing my bike in the back was nice but removing the front wheel and stuffing in the CTR is 2 minutes work.

Unless you plan to move a couch or haul gravel I wouldn't get another truck.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
Wonder where OP went.

I'm in San Diego. You can have a look around my car if you want and test drive. Buy me a burrito from Yesenia's and we'll call it good.

PM me if you're interested.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
Will never buy another subaru. Mine had all kinds of issues from day one. The only good thing about it was the trade in value.
hahah there is a trend of jaded subaru owners in here.

I am one too!

Only 3 things are certain after a nuclear holocaust- roaches, twinkies, and subaru will still be building an Sti with an EJ motor

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I have both the 2015 WRX and 2017 CTR. The WRX has full bolt ons running E50 mix. CTR is 100% stock. The WRX easily pulls away from the CTR and I would say is an all around better daily especially if you see snow. It's too bad the CTR's fuel pump is already at the flow limit and won't be able to run E85. The WRX can run E85 with just a simple flex fuel kit.

I would agree the stock WRX tune is pretty terrible and non-linear. Spending a couple hundred on a tune is a must IMO.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
2016 WRX, thought my 2015 was just a lemon. Most 2015 issues resolved but this one when hot outside would go into limp mode when accelerating from a stop, no warning lights or codes so the dealer couldn't help me. This was extremely dangerous when trying to pull out into traffic and after a day of taking my daughter to the movies and a couple near misses I said screw that car.
I had this same problem in the 2015 WRX I had, and the dealer just laughed it off since there were no codes and just said "It's a turbo, there's turbo lag! I know you want to go fast, but this is how turbos work!". I don't think they understood what was happening, and I didn't go back to them for maintenance after that. No other dealer could reproduce (in their short drives) or tell me what was happening.

I don't miss that thing.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
if OP ever returns, as you say yourself, you take other people's cars. Why start now?

I'm also in CA, I used to go skiing regularly but snow is so unpredictable now--and I always take other peoples' cars anyway as well.

Depending on how much you go mountain biking and where you go, it'll be mostly on paved roads. I have yet to have any issues with pot holes *knock on wood* and I just keep the suspension in comfort mode mostly.

Aside from being FWD, there's no reason to get the CTR over any of the other cars, and you'll do ok on gas (which is also going up) too.

Being able to fit a Large crate in the back with the seats folded down for my 64lb dog was very nice.

Are you going to be driving cross country to other states for work or just flying out there and storing your car?

Last edited:

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
So my thoughts in the shortest form possible based on my experiences of my own ownership or my family and close friends (and me using their cars).
1. Subaru Impreza - old tech that won't get revamped for another 2-3 years. So far in my circle of friends every Subaru has had issues with ring land failures or clutch related issues or flexing firewalls on the clutch that cause things to go "creak". STI is no longer made in a hatch and in the stock tune form the power band seems limited although that can be just what I feel.
2. Toyota Tundra (Personal vehicle - large Tacoma in my eyes) - SUPER versatile and love it. This is coming from a guy that hated trucks up until I had to buy one to pull a travel trailer. I say I want to sell the thing b/c it is a gas guzzler but I can never bring myself to it. Toyota quality and reliability and it has proven to be a very handy utility vehicle that is quiet, very comfy and plenty of usable power for day to day use.
3. Civic Type R (my own car) - LOADS of fun and super capable with a not too bad infotainment system. Tires are costly and you'll be worried about it constantly I think given the limited number of R's on the road. Plenty of room and comfy to drive and good value if you don't pay ADM.
4. Golf R - very versatile but smaller and in my opinion slower and less fun than a CTR. This was my initial choice but I shied away from VW b/c of anecdotal reliability reports from friends that own Golfs and VWs in general.
5. Civic Hatch Sport Touring - Versatility of the Type R at lower price and has all the safety and creature comforts you'd ever need IF you're looking at a hatchback.

I could list off more but what I wrote was what came to mind...

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I liked my 15' WRX can't go wrong with either. Go drive all the cars and choose for yourself?
Sponsored