The car I should get is a WRX or a Tacoma. Change my mind.

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
TL;DR I want a CTR but a WRX or Tacoma fits my needs better. Convince me to get the Type R.

I've decided to finally replace my 2007 Civic EX Sedan. I want the Type R but I'm torn because the CTR doesn't fit my needs completely but it does accommodate them enough where it wouldn't be pointless to get it.

I'm a 27yo male RN in CA with zero debt and will start travel nursing this year which entails 3-month-long assignments across various states.

Other applicable considerations: I'm single with no kids or pets, I mountain bike in the summer, I snowboard 3-4 times every winter (albeit we take other people's cars), and I go camping maybe twice a year (again, my car is never picked). I currently work 3x/week and live 8.5 miles away (15 minutes, zero traffic); I have an assigned parking spot in the garage in my condo and park in a parking garage at work.

Since high school, I knew I would end up with a WRX eventually but ever since the CTR, my feelings have changed drastically. I've so far convinced myself that I really don't need the AWD, moonroof, nor the heated or leather seats in sunny San Diego. It's not a hatchback, the interior is way more updated in the Civic, it doesn't have CarPlay, and I really don't want to buy a car that is in the process of being revised (to the Global Platform in 2020/21).

Given the specific market that this car is in, wondering if anybody here has been in the same dilemma and how did you eventually make your choice (applies to WRX, STi, ST, RS, GTI, Golf R, Type R etc.)?

(Apologies in advance, seeing as that I'm a male nurse, the majority of my friends/colleagues don't share the same interest in cars that I do and have nobody really to talk this over with).
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Lol if a WRX fits your needs better then why not get that? Get the WRX STi though...

sysjl

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2014 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Have you actually test driven any of these vehicles? I thought I wanted a WRX but I hated how it drove. Also, I'm not exactly about that vape life lol. Test driving each of the cars will definitely let you know if it's something you want. Also, why not a Kia Stinger GT? It's good for cruising since you are going to be doing travel assignments, it's a hatch, really spacious and it's quite comfortable. Also, twin turbo v6.

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Have you actually test driven any of these vehicles? I thought I wanted a WRX but I hated how it drove. Also, I'm not exactly about that vape life lol. Test driving each of the cars will definitely let you know if it's something you want. Also, why not a Kia Stinger GT? It's good for cruising since you are going to be doing travel assignments, it's a hatch, really spacious and it's quite comfortable. Also, twin turbo v6.
Your camping must be way different than mine. No way I could take my Honda where I go camping. Nor could I load it up with gear like I do in my Tacoma.

You are young. If you had all 3 in your driveway, which do you think you would drive more often? (As stated above, test drive them all) I doubt it would be the Tacoma.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
OMG, if your single, will be travelling on the road a lot, and debt free - this is your chance in life to pull the trigger a nice toy. Definitely don't let that slip by!

whether its the Type R, WRX, and Golf R - they are all good choices depending on a persons circumstances and individual needs. Not a tough place to be which a good thing!

Do your research, test drive what you can and ask around (which you are doing). WRX and Golf R both have 4 wheel drive which is good for snow, but I've spent most my life in Canada and I can tell you front wheel drive really does a good jog of handling the white stuff.

To me Golf R seems to be a bit more refined and tame road car (if there is such a thing in this category). The WRX has always had appeal but what has thrown me off is their persistence in using the older model 2.5 boxer engine for the STI when it looks like a Japanese version of the more modern 2.0 for the STi would be a winner. For me, the Type R is a great combination of Honda reliability with a lighter and more visceral drive (and able to dabble in track light work nicely). It also has four doors and a fair amount of cargo space (lower the rear seats) to haul a groceries or a fair amount of whatever your thinking. It also has a gem of an motor along with adaptive suspensions, steering, etc. For some the downsides for some are the looks (not me by the way) , 20" wheels, etc.
In the end, like everything in life it comes down to the balance between good points and not so good ones. Its about what best fits you.

Enjoy. Seems like some nice choices lay ahead. Take advantage brother and let us know how it rolls. :)

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I HATED my 2016 wrx. granted they improved the god-awful stereo since then, but between the crappy gritty transmission, the rev-hang, and the Jeremy Clarkson programmed throttle, it was a royal bitch to drive daily in ANY traffic.

wrx FA20DIT also has probably the worst direct injection intake gumming of all time. It also had more road noise than any car I've ever owned.

do what you want, but I would rather have a type R

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good luck test driving a CTR, won’t happen where I live. You must buy to drive.

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
OMG, if your single, will be travelling on the road a lot, and debt free - this is your chance in life to pull the trigger a nice toy. Definitely don't let that slip by!

whether its the Type R, WRX, and Golf R - they are all good choices depending on a persons circumstances and individual needs. Not a tough place to be which a good thing!

Do your research, test drive what you can and ask around (which you are doing). WRX and Golf R both have 4 wheel drive which is good for snow, but I've spent most my life in Canada and I can tell you front wheel drive really does a good jog of handling the white stuff.

To me Golf R seems to be a bit more refined and tame road car (if there is such a thing in this category). The WRX has always had appeal but what has thrown me off is their persistence in using the older model 2.5 boxer engine for the STI when it looks like a Japanese version of the more modern 2.0 for the STi would be a winner. For me, the Type R is a great combination of Honda reliability with a lighter and more visceral drive (and able to dabble in track light work nicely). It also has four doors and a fair amount of cargo space (lower the rear seats) to haul a groceries or a fair amount of whatever your thinking. It also has a gem of an motor along with adaptive suspensions, steering, etc. For some the downsides for some are the looks (not me by the way) , 20" wheels, etc.
In the end, like everything in life it comes down to the balance between good points and not so good ones. Its about what best fits you.

Enjoy. Seems like some nice choices lay ahead. Take advantage brother and let us know how it rolls. :)
I’d totally consider the Golf R, read some great things about it, never drove it yet. However I’m a Honda/Toyota fan and will always choose them where there is a choice.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
I was in market for a hot hatch/sport compact sedan. After test driving a few, I bought a STI.
6 months later, here I am driving a CTR lol.

It's all about personal preference. I couldn't live with something that's not a hatchback.
While I loved that boxer rumble, I hated how thirsty that thing was.

CTR was the only other option I had in my mind, so this happened.
I would love to have other options such as i30N, Megane RS, M140i, Cupra and all that, but nope, not for US residents :(

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
You’re here because you want a CTR. But if you need convincing then it’s not the car for you. The CTR is something you’re going to need to want with all the compromises it comes with, starting with its wheels and tires.

Other than the infotainment system, the CTR packs no gadgets over an 07 Civic Si. In fact the rear doors and seats are cheaper, significantly than an 07 Si. Also, CTR doesn’t have a spare tire.

The CTR is a race car first. Everything else second.

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
You’re here because you want a CTR. But if you need convincing then it’s not the car for you. The CTR is something you’re going to need to want with all the compromises it comes with, starting with its wheels and tires.

Other than the infotainment system, the CTR packs no gadgets over an 07 Civic Si. In fact the rear doors and seats are cheaper, significantly than an 07 Si. Also, CTR doesn’t have a spare tire.

The CTR is a race car first. Everything else second.
Wheels and tires are easily changed.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
OP hasn't replied since his post but I'll comment since I've owned both vehicles he's considering outside the R. All vehicles were stock and never abused.

2015 WRX, more issues than I can remember, there was a recall for the stock tune because of extreme knock causing it to pull all power, this was really bad on on-ramps and trying to pass, wouldn't start sometimes without 5+ tries, burned oil, sometimes wouldn't go into first gear, wouldn't go into reverse sometimes and I had to roll the car back or forward to get the gear in.

2016 WRX, thought my 2015 was just a lemon. Most 2015 issues resolved but this one when hot outside would go into limp mode when accelerating from a stop, no warning lights or codes so the dealer couldn't help me. This was extremely dangerous when trying to pull out into traffic and after a day of taking my daughter to the movies and a couple near misses I said screw that car.

2017 Tacoma SR5 V6. I actually really liked that truck, got me 18-21 mpg average, comfortable ride, zero real issues. My main complaint was that it was so down on power I had to keep it in 5th gear on the highway when there was a head wind and shift down to 4th for mild hills. Like it seriously has no power...... at all..... Got rid of it because it was the first time I've ever leased and didn't understand leasing or the interest rates that leases translate into and got screwed.

The CTR, whelp I haven't been lucky enough to find one locally at MSRP yet. I did have an EX hatch before my Si and the MPG, reliability and utility of that car was fantastic. I made many Lowes runs in my hatch and loaded it with hundreds of pounds of gravel and sand bags without issues, the squat wasn't bad at all. Averaged 38 mpg with zero issues. One day I even loaded 10.5 foot gutters from the passenger floor to rear glass with an inch to spare.... Amazing !!!! The only thing I missed was a manual trans, at the time sport hatches were rare and I couldn't find one so I picked up my Si. To me, with the utility of my EX hatch and capabilities of the R would be the absolute ideal car. I'll have one eventually.
Sponsored