Should I get a Type R? Looking for a more fun car, not a track car

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I wanted a more fun, practical car coming from my lexus GS. Did not want something as big as a crossover. Subaru stopped making wrx hatches are still having reliability/quality issues. Left me with the CTR and I havent looked back!
Sponsored

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I never said you are a "poser" if you don't take your Type R to the racetrack, I never once took my Porsche to the racetrack....that's why I got the Atom.
My point is if you don't take the Type R out for some spirited driving, on a regular basis, then you are wasting your money and would be much better off getting an Si or Hatchback sport.
If you buy a Type R simply for it's aggressive looks, and to get attention, and don't exploit its incredible performance capabilities, then I believe you should be called a "Poser" or an attention whore, your choice.
Lets use some common sense here folks.

agentbilly

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2015 Honda Fit, 2014 Victory Judge, 2000 Toyota Camry
I never said you are a "poser" if you don't take your Type R to the racetrack, I never once took my Porsche to the racetrack....that's why I got the Atom.
My point is if you don't take the Type R out for some spirited driving, on a regular basis, then you are wasting your money and would be much better off getting an Si or Hatchback sport.
If you buy a Type R simply for it's aggressive looks, and to get attention, and don't exploit its incredible performance capabilities, then I believe you should be called a "Poser" or an attention whore, your choice.
Just for the sake of argument, what if you really like hondas and want to be able to take part in honda's history as well as own the first civic type r released in the US? That being said, if you drive the SI and the Type R, you will notice a significant difference whether it is getting on the freeway, breaking, or if you need to make a quick maneuver in every day driving. You don't have to drive aggressively in order to enjoy the difference. Just my $0.02. I look forward to driving my Type R every time I get into it.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Common sense would say that people buy things because they want to, for whatever reason that is. That's it. The closest I'd come to calling someone a poser is if they talked about tracking it all the time, just to find out they take it TO the track to watch other people drive around... and even then, I'd probably call them a liar rather than a poser.

I get what you're saying and I understand the passion, but really you can't control why people want something. Let them get it and find out if maybe the track calls to them, or if they like having a garage princess. Either way, it's a fantastic vehicle :beer:

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (polished metal)
I’m going to go against the grain here and say get the Sport Touring Hatch. I just bought one 2 weeks ago, mainly because I also kind of drive like a grandpa, and didn’t want a stick for my DD because I drive in traffic every day. The ST is super fun to drive, has plenty of power, and also has all the bells and whistles that you can’t get on the CTR (looking at you, heated seats). Just my 2 cents.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It’s kind of funny though. The majority of the Vettes, Vipers, and even Aston’s I’ve run into are always driving slower and not gunning it typically (I personally wouldn’t gun a Viper myself). The cars that typically try to do crazy stuff are the pure exotics (Ferrari’s, Lamborghinis, etc.).

I guess it’s just a mixed bag. Many people buy a Viper and drive it slowly and just enjoy driving the Viper (though won’t want to daily one). Maybe the OP wants a comfortable daily driver that has the ability to go fast when he wants to.

Buying a fast vehicle to drive it slow 90% or the time isn’t a waste of money, there is that 10% of the time as well when you’re grinning from ear to ear. To be honest I drive slow about 80-90% of the time, but if I go for a random, short spirited run around some bends or off a stop light, I remember why I bought the car. If you drive fast all the time, you get used to it and it’s never special or engaging when you do. It’s one of the reasons I’ve utilized Comfort more more often.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t drive like a maniac most of the time. I accelerate gently off of traffic lights and generally I’m not in a rush to go anywhere. I only speed more than 5 over when someone else is doing it.

When I hit the backroads, I generally don’t go crazy, well except when it’s time to hit the curve and my foot isn’t on the brake pedal.

callmedh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This past week I took the Type R on a road trip. Put about 1000 miles on my car. I was amazed at how enjoyable the trip was. I knew the seats were comfortable, but for 7 hours? No problem. Steering takes almost no effort. People doing stupid stuff around you? A quick touch of the accelerator and they disappear in your rear view mirror. Merging? Simple. Switch lanes? Simple. More stupid drivers in front of you and need to brake? No problem. Cruise control maintains the speed and is very smooth. Yes, there is the problem of trying to increase or decrease speed when on cruise control, but I can work around that.

The car still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Next challenge, track day, but that is for a different thread...

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
I am a dad with two kids and a wife and although I typically am a law abiding citizen that when I want to have fun that I know the R is ready to go :). GET the R. You will NOT regret it.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This past week I took the Type R on a road trip. Put about 1000 miles on my car. I was amazed at how enjoyable the trip was. I knew the seats were comfortable, but for 7 hours? No problem. Steering takes almost no effort. People doing stupid stuff around you? A quick touch of the accelerator and they disappear in your rear view mirror. Merging? Simple. Switch lanes? Simple. More stupid drivers in front of you and need to brake? No problem. Cruise control maintains the speed and is very smooth. Yes, there is the problem of trying to increase or decrease speed when on cruise control, but I can work around that.

The car still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Next challenge, track day, but that is for a different thread...
I've been wondering all along if it was just my car that really doesn't do accel/decel on cruise very well. Now I know I'm not, and will worry about it even less than before, so thanks for posting that ;)

As far as the other stuff goes - I do think the R belongs, even begs to be on tight, twisty roads with areas you can really open it up. Unfortunately not everyone has those right outside their door. I live close enough to Gingerman that it's my 2019 goal to get up there for some education and get it out on the track. But, I didn't buy it for that. I am, however, very grateful it will be far more capable than its driver if that ever happens!

OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I guess I should mention I bought one. No regrets. It's awesome to drive, even when driven at legal road speeds. I do wish 6th was a little taller so I could eke out a bit more fuel efficiency when I'm cruising, but 1-5 make up for it in fun. I have the same infotainment bitches, but I don't even care. I even enjoy driving with the windows down and audio off so I can hear the engine and soft "psssh" as you shift better.

Auto rev match is ridiculous, but I like turning it off for funsies. Heel-toe downshifting can be fun if you can pull it off and I like the spacing on these pedals. My commute is on a back road with some good twists that I'm getting familiar with.

Very little attention. I've only had a few thumbs up, which I don't mind.

Otherwise, I don't enjoy being paranoid about my wheels. I'm shopping for 18" or 19" wheels, trying to find the best balance between high offset, price, strength and looks. And I am looking for a track to drive on.