2019 CPB Hatchback Sport 6MT - daily spirited driving (LA, socal)

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
07/11/2020

Caruse Design aero flap (basically duckbill) installed. It's just applied with double sided tape. Also removed the tillight tint because I felt it would bubble/peel within a year and didn't want to deal with it later. Surprisingly the tint shop did a separate piece for the reverse/blinker portion so I left that on.

As far as visual mods I'm officially done, I always wanted something for the rear but never liked any of the options until I saw the Caruse aero flap. At this point my car already looks very over the top, I'm thinking to relocate the hella horns and maybe paint them black so they aren't so obvious.

C1086545-C2A0-40A6-9223-04958C1CD4C3.JPG

07/12/2020

For about 2 days I started hearing/feeling a clunk in the driver's front every time the suspension compressed, turned out the end link was smacking the control arm. The end links are temporarily out on both sides while I wait for the whiteline adjustable ones to arrive which should be short enough to clear the control arms.

Since I effectively have no front sway bar right now I expected the change to be most dramatic at the highest lateral force. But with the imperfect streets/freeways it overall just gives a vague sense of instability like I'm driving on a bouncy house lol. Can't wait to get this fixed.

Also I watched several videos of type R POV driving because I just felt like my whole driving tempo was off as if I was still trying to drive with the stock flywheel despite trying not to. Sure enough it actually helped. But actually I think the biggest thing was moving my seat forward. I kept lifting the clutch too high every time, when it grabs a lot lower than stock.

Advertisement

Last edited:
OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
07/18/2020

Had the horns painted black and relocated as close together as possible in the middle. Barely see them anymore

IMG_7030.jpg

07/19/2020

Whiteline adjustable front end links installed, they're almost exactly an inch shorter.

IMG_7029.jpg

Had to reinstall the aero flap since it started drooping on the taillight portion, this time I did it in the sun to make sure the adhesive sets properly.

07/24/2020

Another sound has developed in the driver front but this time could be related to steering? Sort of a clicking noise but it seems more of a result of the car's weight shifting around even when driving straight. Clicks very often when driving on bumpy streets (which is everywhere). 80% click reproduction when I brake to a stop and the car settles back, and also when I'm stationary with the wheel turned 180* ccw and then pull quickly ccw again. Based on light research maybe something to do with the tie rods. Having it looked at on monday.

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
07/30/2020

It's been a solid 15,000 miles and 14 months. Now if I can just get the coilover clicking sorted I'll be golden. Apparently it's coming from within the assembly, seems to be a common issue with BC racing BR coilovers

IMG_7050.jpg

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
08/08/2020

Another oil change at 15,500 miles. A bit early maybe (4,000 miles) but I screwed together ramps yesterday and wanted to try it out lol.

Mobil 1 M1-110A filter and Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20!

Also I think I got backed into at a parking lot I noticed my license frame is cracked and some damage to the paint. A slight dent as well but really hard to see

Testing the ramps yesterday. Top platform may be a bit short for some but I tried backing out and forgot I had the 2x4s on the rear tires and the car wouldn't budge. I might add another level because I still have to do a lot of body wiggling to get around lol
IMG_7081.jpg

Oil level all good
IMG_7087.jpg

😒
IMG_7082.jpg

08/08/2020 (later)

Clicking sound is gone, turns out the lower locking nut on the adjustable end link was loose and that was basically it. Also I noticed my rmm has impact marks which I'm 90% sure is from the chevron closest to me when I drive over the underground tank covers. Every time I go there the rmm catches the lip of the cover and it sounds like something exploded. The rmm actually has been feeling loose again and what do you know, the horizontal bolt was able to be re torqued and feels much better now. Need to stop going there because it's a weird combination of uneven concrete and raised tank covers.

Last edited:
OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
09/05/2020

Decent wash and spray wax. Finally put some meguiar's tire gel on the sidewall since it was starting to look really spotty and washed out. Made sure to get as little as possible on the tread, I noticed a lot of people shine part of the tread and it looks really weird imo

It "feels" like time to clay bar for a perfect surface and polish to remove swirls, but it's just too hot to do any work right now. Once it hits a mild 70F I'll go all out on the detail.

Photo Sep 05, 1 32 45 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 05, 1 33 38 PM.jpg

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
09/16/2020

Had some rear suspension clunking fixed, feels a lot better to drive. Also had the front coilovers lowered slightly because the front had a slightly larger gap and now they're at the lowest possible setting.

So the past week I've experienced a string of vandalism on my car:

-someone kicked my front license plate and the broken frame scratched the bumper in 2 spots

-scratch on my front emblem and grille

-left exhaust tip was kicked off. How could someone just kick it off, well they weren't welded all the way around. The welds on the left one were probably weakened from the time I backed it into a parking curb at a restaurant a while ago and it was slightly crooked afterwards but not hand loose, but probably enough for someone to remove it if they put a lot of force onto it. The right tip required a good amount of smacks with a mallet to finally come off since I didn't want to drive around with just 1 lol.

With this having happened, I finally ordered an Aukey 1080p front/rear dashcam with a 256gb sd card which will be hardwired and running 24/7. Also going to have 3.5" black tips welded on. I might try to buy the stock tips off of someone because I really like how they look but right now I just want the rear to not look like trash

Last edited:
OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
10/03/2020

Had the dashcam hardwired in. The rear cam is super stealth and the front cam is mounted below the visor tint because mounting it on the tint might cause it to peel off over time. From the driver's seat the front cam is hidden behind the mirror but from the outside you can clearly see the adhesive lol. But it gets the job done so no worries.

10/16/2020

I had the realization last night that I could really use boost by gear. The biggest issue I had with tsp map 3 is that 5th gear boosted VERY easily. This sucked for 2 reasons: Most of my time in 5th is spent between 2-3k rpm, and I like to use 5th to accelerate lightly. As a result 5th gear felt really bad to use outside of maintaining speed, I didn't like seeing a ton of boost at 2.5k rpm when I gave only 20% throttle.

So now my BBG is configured as
1st - 3rd: full boost
4th: 20psi with ramp
5th: 16psi
6th: factory (15psi?)

It feels much better driving on the freeway now.

10/17/2020

Finally exhaust tips arrived at the trusty shop @muscletunerauto. I was going to have them painted matte black but the brushed finish looks close enough to oem that I really liked it. They're slightly bigger at 3.5" diameter.

IMG_7536.jpg

They sprayed the welds for rust protection but they ran out of black, only silver left. I have to say, combined with the new and old weld marks it looks like someone left some paste on the pipes, but at the same time it almost looks like rocket thrusters :oops: They said next time they would respray it black lol

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7533.JPG

Also took off the mudflaps for a different look. I expect that my doors will be a lot dirtier from now on but I really like seeing the new wheel/tire setup from the rear angles.

Next up I want to install 5mm spacers for peace of mind on the front caliper clearance but they'll need longer studs. Since all the brake components are coming out anyways, I'll do everything at once when I eventually need to replace the brake pads (hopefully not for a long time?).

-h&r 5mm spacers with studs
-r1concepts eline drilled/slotted rotors
-ebc redstuff ceramic pads
-paint calipers black?

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
10/18/2020

Did a full wax with meguiar's. Feels good knowing I have a fresh coat on. I've just been maintaining with meguiar's spray wax but mostly use it as drying aid, and water wasn't beading anymore on the doors and rear.

Don't think I need to clay the car yet and I'll hold off on polishing too since I can live with the light swirls on the hood.

Never got pictures but just know that my car looked amazing for about 3 days. The trunk area catches dust pretty much instantly, and the distant mountain fires aren't helping with the light ash in the air.

10/26/2020

The weather turned from sweating weather to sweater weather overnight which means it's boost season!! And the colder air seems to give slightly more exhaust drama when I let off the gas especially under 3.5k. I hope it's just my straight through exhaust and not something I need to tune out lol.

Agr.Ben

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 LX Hatchback
Country flag
did you have trouble mounting your horns forward towards the grill? ive been looking to buy some but a in video i watched he had to turn them around because he couldnt fit the bumper back on. the car is looking really good tho!

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
did you have trouble mounting your horns forward towards the grill? ive been looking to buy some but a in video i watched he had to turn them around because he couldnt fit the bumper back on. the car is looking really good tho!
There shouldn't be any clearance issues as long as the horns are near the back of the crash bar. Don't mount them too forward or too high or else you may have to lean them back a bit to clear the top of the grille. I saw a guy on instagram with J's racing grille and the horns, it looked like his horns were right against the radiator but you don't need to put them that close with stock shape.

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
10/31/2020

So the only complaint I had with the 27won rmm is that the off throttle cabin drone is a bit loud especially in the recent chilly early mornings. Installed the hasport 62a rmm to see what the difference would be. First of all the hasport mount is a beautiful piece, I love the natural aluminum look over anodized orange. I almost wanted to keep it for decoration lol.

IMG_7713.jpg

I did not expect the 62a to be this soft, it is dead quiet when idling and I had a few moments where I thought the car was off when I was waiting at traffic lights. I did a few 1-2-3 pulls and it feels less confident getting back on the power after each shift because of the extra movement. It took a lot of drama out of revving the car out and banging gears since it’s so smooth.

As far as normal driving goes it’s great, but I do have to make some adjustments since I basically learned how to drive with the 27won rmm and I'm missing a lot of easy "cues" that it gave me. Taking off at 1k rpm is awkward because the 62a shakes too much and the engine feels like it will stall. The 62a DOESN’T vibrate below 2500 so I find myself boosting more at lower rpms without noticing and I tend to rev higher without noticing because it’s quieter at higher rpms.

Overall a decent compromise of stiffness for noise.

S&B

First Name
CB
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback, 1984 BMW 533i
Country flag
Do you have a link for the 3rd brake light flash mod?

OP
geeeek

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
11/12/2020

Had the throttle response on tsp map 3 reduced to improved 1. Feels less twitchy in normal city driving. Combined with the hasport 62a rmm the power delivery feels so smooth and "luxurious". It feels like a complete 360 from my previous setups and I'm almost conflicted about it lol.

Advertisement

Advertisement