AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I am not happy at all about the idea of blocking a brake duct, especially on 1 side only. I wonder if going to a Racelouver style hood (not just vented) with a C&R radiator would be effective enough to put an oil cooler in front of the radiator. Also not happy about putting an oil cooler in front of the intercooler which will effectively decrease the effectiveness of the intercooler itself.
Not all oil coolers block the brake duct
Sponsored

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Got Greddy as well, but I think HKS one are the best for the air duct. They all have similar cooling capacity for 10 row oil cooler and it helps to keep cool for oil temp for a few more laps on track.

The only problem is it's just a small 10 row oil cooler and it does not solve the overheating issue. For a more track focus setup I see people do dual oil cooler both side or have an extra one on the front right. Or you can cut through the middle bumper and crush bar to create a center air channel with oil cooler in it.
You said the oil cooler gives a couple more laps. Would an oil pan upgrade or other device to increase oil capacity help further increase laps?

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Usually oil pan upgrades are for adding baffles and less of an oil capacity solution. Increased oil capacity = higher pressures = more wear on the internals so youre not really solving the issue of decreasing oil temperatures.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
You said the oil cooler gives a couple more laps. Would an oil pan upgrade or other device to increase oil capacity help further increase laps?
not really, unless you add a few gallon of oil in circulation with the engine. oil cooler helps to cool down with the use of extra air flow. without airflow and just add oil capacity, you are going to have longer time to reach heat soak but you then will have the struggle to remove those extra heat after it gets heat soak. Again, I won't recommend this route.

However, you can add like 3 oil coolers with an extra 1.5 gallon in circulation and have more heat exchange that will give you more lap or may not even reach heat soak.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I am not happy at all about the idea of blocking a brake duct, especially on 1 side only. I wonder if going to a Racelouver style hood (not just vented) with a C&R radiator would be effective enough to put an oil cooler in front of the radiator. Also not happy about putting an oil cooler in front of the intercooler which will effectively decrease the effectiveness of the intercooler itself.
Custom Mount a cooler on the passenger side and relocated the washer fluid tank.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are the cooling mods Iā€™ve implemented. Confident the car will no longer overheat, though Iā€™m not an expert track driver by any means. SoCal weather
  • vented hood
  • more open grill
  • HKS oil cooler with C&R Racing upgraded core
  • DEI firewrap on the oil cooler supply and return lines.
  • PWR race radiator (same as C&R)
  • Acuity reverse hoses
  • Intercooler
  • Dream Hard lagged (insulated) downpipe
  • Dream Hard lagged turbo heat shield
  • Dream Hard lagged water pipe - definitely recommend wrapping this pipe with insulation, at a minimum.
  • Dream turbo oil return clamshell
  • OEM radiator fluid
  • Car is tuned. Stock engine and turbo

Last edited:

davidato

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You guys can wait for the C&R oil cooler :)
Last time I saw it they were making a separate duct just for the oil cooler. Located at the fog light side pod thing, so most likely needs cutting for ā€˜20+ cars. I couldnā€™t tell whether it deleted the brake duct since the oil cooler duct was so fat. Iā€™m not sure why they havenā€™t announced it yet.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
You guys can wait for the C&R oil cooler :)
Last time I saw it they were making a separate duct just for the oil cooler. Located at the fog light side pod thing, so most likely needs cutting for ā€˜20+ cars. I couldnā€™t tell whether it deleted the brake duct since the oil cooler duct was so fat. Iā€™m not sure why they havenā€™t announced it yet.
Where did you see this

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
Any update on the C&R oil cooler?

r00kie_c00kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Emailed Jason Smith at C&R regarding the status:

" We are still working on it. We are at the 3rd revision with it getting tested out with a customer down south. I can tell you he lost 55 degrees in his oil and reduced water temps around 10 degrees. That was oil cooler only with factory rad and intercooler. So I would say end of September. "

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

" We are still working on it. We are at the 3rd revision with it getting tested out with a customer down south. I can tell you he lost 55 degrees in his oil and reduced water temps around 10 degrees. That was oil cooler only with factory rad and intercooler. So I would say end of September. "
Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnteresting

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

This is the one I've been waiting for-

Not in a rush to start stacking coolers on top of radiator or intercooler, etc. unless absolutely necessary. Trying to keep the hot stuff separated as much as possible. I do appreciate everyone's efforts to find creative solutions though; don't want to diminish that.

PWR/C&R's stuff has been top notch and I'm a big fan. Here's hoping I don't have to move the Honda Sense junk until the car moves into permanent track-only duty one day...

r00kie_c00kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Follow up email response:

The kit is getting tested with Verus engineering currently. Kind of held up with them as they lost some employees working on it.
But I do know it need more changes for getting fitment correct. Trying to get a couple engineers down there to look so we can get that fitment info.
Once that is done we should be able to build another for test fitment. Maybe another month? Possibly two?

Thank You,
Jason Smith
Sales & Technical Support
Sponsored