MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
What kinda times are you getting at big willow? Hard to debate about safety. My take is if its a street car, no roll cage/bar..etc. If it's a dedicated track car where you're going to tow it to and from track, then yes, go all out.
This is my instinct to. And from a practical perspective probably the one I will go wit. But it's not the safe way to decide. Here's why...
Big willow can be intimidating. I’ve hit 145 on the front straight away after turn 9. I do find myself snug though in the seats. Maybe look into getting a racing harness.
That. At 145mp it doesn't matter if the car is a daily or a dedicated track car. The energy that needs to be disbursed in a roll over is immense.

Last May, at INDE, I was hitting 118 on the straight, the car that took second in race group was hitting 123. Not much difference in energy if we both roll over. He has a roll cage, I don't.

The more I think about it, it seems more about practicality and acceptable risk. And I'm not sure I like that too much.

OP
OP
Sam3

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
In case you missed it, please check this post by @fatherpain. This incident and others are the reason why a roll bar is being installed in my car right now.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fatherpain’s-2018-type-r.42379/page-60#post-1104224

Folks contemplating a harness bar with no roof support should consider what would've happened if a harness / hans prevented them from contouring their body to avoid the collapsing roof.
One major take away that is mentioned in the post...you can do everything right and still have either mechanical failure or another driver take you out (not that these were the case in the accident shown). We accept risk and its just always good to remember we cant control or mitigate all the factors...but we can strive to be as safe as possible!
Sponsored