fuel usage during HPDE ?

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm a new CTR owner, and doing my first ever track day in a few weeks. I'm going to Sebring for two days of driving, and each day will have four 25 minute sessions.

How often will I have to fill up?
What's the best strategy for refueling (gas station, bring a can)?
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Make sure the tank is brimmed before you start. You may need to refuel before your last session of the day. You don't want to run below 1/4 tank or you may get fuel starvation in the corners.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
What I usually do is to fill it all up before the 1st seccion. After 2 section I filled up 5-6 gal, and then fill up again after one section.

The OEM fuel level is pretty inaccurate, so I will always recommend to fill up every section for a peace of mind.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
One track day I easily fill up twice.

I’m in San Diego and hit up SOW, Big Willow and Chuckwalla. Twice at the track and once to/from track.

I’m in the market for a trailer to tow my CTR with our Honda Passport.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I hear stories of folks running out during session 4 even if they started the day full... wasn't me. well, ok, yea it was me.

I fill up now after session 2. You could bring an extra 10 gallons, but I just go to a station and grab lunch after the second session. Could be after the 3rd session, but you know, lunch.

marcfrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
I'm a new CTR owner, and doing my first ever track day in a few weeks. I'm going to Sebring for two days of driving, and each day will have four 25 minute sessions.

How often will I have to fill up?
What's the best strategy for refueling (gas station, bring a can)?
The Shell station at the corner when going to the track is safe to use.?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I make it a habit to top off the fuel after every session. (2) sessions would be the max as the fuel gauge is not accurate and may go limp mode due to fuel starvation.

I was getting around 6-7 MPG at the track.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I make it a habit to top off the fuel after every session. (2) sessions would be the max as the fuel gauge is not accurate and may go limp mode due to fuel starvation.

I was getting around 6-7 MPG at the track.
But less fuel is less weight… Weight reduction bro! Half a tank of gas (6.2 gallons) is like 50 pounds! \s

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
? I’ll take that trade off. Was no fun at all limping around the track @70mph while getting blown by at 130.

But less fuel is less weight… Weight reduction bro! Half a tank of gas (6.2 gallons) is like 50 pounds! \s

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
a lot of this depends on how you drive and how your session goes. Your gauge will be delayed from the Gs, but you can wait it out after each session to see how you're doing. From experience so far, after the 2nd session, do a fill up.
One lesson learned for me though, I'm never bringing an extra gas can :D . The fumes are horrendous and if you don't have shade(not even shade will help lol. you'll need a cooling spot) in 102F, it'll just leak everywhere. I'm sure there's a way around it and if you have your own trailer w/ a/c, then it may not be an issue. Plan out your gas trips to the nearest gas station or simply pay the extra at the track. worth it.

Last edited:

Fast Type R

First Name
Chin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
When the tank is at 1/4, you will get fuel starvation and that happened to me. It’s not even close 1/8 tank and it happened, it has a small tank to begin with.
Sponsored