AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I'm happy to modify my bumper, but I don't know how to do that on a 2020+ model. I don't have the diamonds to cut out.
Pro civic has a set of vents for the front that are open and allow air to pass through for $100. Look into that!
Sponsored

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
So it cools the oil but heats up the coolant? Any idea if it would work with a C&R radiator?
Sirimoto has tested since they mounted on the side without much circulation of coolant.

Again, its the one for you to not modify on the bumper but add on to the crush bar.

if you willing to cut the hole in the garnish and try to make sure the honda sensing still works with it, then HKS and Greddy or USR one are perfect.

Just more work to get it done for the 20-21 models.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Sirimoto has tested since they mounted on the side without much circulation of coolant.

Again, its the one for you to not modify on the bumper but add on to the crush bar.

if you willing to cut the hole in the garnish and try to make sure the honda sensing still works with it, then HKS and Greddy or USR one are perfect.

Just more work to get it done for the 20-21 models.
I definitely think the Sirimoto kit is high quality but does add additional heat/restriction the to cooling package...is it more than oil cooling the benefit it provides, probably not.

The Mishmoto I have is good quality, has a thermostatic sandwich plate, installs easily, has a large 19 row core but removes the drivers side brake duct.

So both Mishimoto and Sirimoto have drawbacks.

The USR (19 row), Greddy (10 row cooler), and HKS (9 row) are all drivers side mount and are all good options. The USR has the largest core of these side mounts and is probably the best kit for the money.

Last edited:

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on FK8 Oil Coolers for HPDE 1636060219500

I do a lot of HPDE days at Joliet Autobahn Full which is 3.6 mile 19 turn track. Three straights I hit 110 MPH. I have a C&R street radiator, C&R intercooler and HKS oil cooler (ebay open fog light grille) with 275/35/18 PS4's and Giro disc rotors and Carbotech pads....stock power.

In October there were two other FK8's that over heated that were running stock cars. I was questioning whether or not the long straights were keeping my car cool. Now I think it's combination of cooling mods and stock power. I think the tube and fin intercooler also helps b/c it blocks less air flow than a bar and plate design.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have data on how much cooler the oil gets with a cooler. Unfortunately LogR is not likely that accurate as it doesn't actually measure oil temps which I would think can make it be tricked to read a lower temp just by using a more viscous oil i.e 5W-30 vs 0W-20

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have data on how much cooler the oil gets with a cooler. Unfortunately LogR is not likely that accurate as it doesn't actually measure oil temps which I would think can make it be tricked to read a lower temp just by using a more viscous oil i.e 5W-30 vs 0W-20
Mishimoto advertises a 15 degree drop with theirs

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mishimoto advertises a 15 degree drop with theirs
Surely this depends on the conditions. To be fair, I would have thought at idle or low speeds, there is minimal airflow through the cooler and minimal effectiveness but with the cutouts pictured in post #37, I would have thought there is more air to the oil cooler but less air pressure for the IC and radiator. Venting to the wheel well where the pressure is usually pretty high and there is a ton of hot air from the brakes is also not ideal although I have no alternative.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Surely this depends on the conditions. To be fair, I would have thought at idle or low speeds, there is minimal airflow through the cooler and minimal effectiveness but with the cutouts pictured in post #37, I would have thought there is more air to the oil cooler but less air pressure for the IC and radiator. Venting to the wheel well where the pressure is usually pretty high and there is a ton of hot air from the brakes is also not ideal although I have no alternative.
I mean, isnt it all sort of subjective when you think about it? I feel like the only area youre going to avoid any sort of issue with surrounding temps would be to put it in front of the intercooler.

But realistically, if youre moving, brake temperature affecting the oil cooler should be negligible.

But I think at that point youre probably splitting hairs about things to worry about, at least for the average enthusiast.

For me, I just want to bolt something up and go. If multiple people and companies are using this product with beneficial results then for me, thats enough.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Guess Porsche GT cars are doing it wrong then.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what is the best place to put an oil cooler on a 2020 or newer car?

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '12 Toyota Tundra, '98 Civic LX
Country flag
I went with HKS Oil Cooler, C&R Track Style Radiator and full mesh grill in attempt to solve the heat issues I would get during summer months when ambient temps are higher. While this did not completely solve the problem it helped enough that I haven't had to do cool down/pit lane laps mid session anymore.

I'm considering doing reverse flow on the radiator and adding custom vents to my hood if it somehow becomes a problem again.

Far as oil cooler considerations I would avoid the ones that mount on the crash beam and sit in front of the radiator and the ones that block the brake air ducts. If you are track driving regularly and driving hard you need those brakes to stay cool and as much airflow to your radiator as possible. Heat soaks a B.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am not happy at all about the idea of blocking a brake duct, especially on 1 side only. I wonder if going to a Racelouver style hood (not just vented) with a C&R radiator would be effective enough to put an oil cooler in front of the radiator. Also not happy about putting an oil cooler in front of the intercooler which will effectively decrease the effectiveness of the intercooler itself.
Sponsored