First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Hello,

As the midwest season begins to wind down, I along with many other people (im sure) are considering the different projects for the 2022 season.

For me, many of the things I wanna get done are track oriented, and an oil cooler is one of them.

For those of you who track fairly often, what are you thoughts on the different oil coolers on the market?

Ive noticed that some retain the factory brake duct, others eliminate them. Mishimoto has a thermostatic sandwich plate, others dont.

What was the tipping point for some of you that have them where you really took a step back and said "Wow, I really need to get one now".

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on a Greddy unit this winter just based on price and being able to retain the factory brake duct, but id like feedback on some of the other ones as well.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Got Greddy as well, but I think HKS one are the best for the air duct. They all have similar cooling capacity for 10 row oil cooler and it helps to keep cool for oil temp for a few more laps on track.

The only problem is it's just a small 10 row oil cooler and it does not solve the overheating issue. For a more track focus setup I see people do dual oil cooler both side or have an extra one on the front right. Or you can cut through the middle bumper and crush bar to create a center air channel with oil cooler in it.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Got Greddy as well, but I think HKS one are the best for the air duct. They all have similar cooling capacity for 10 row oil cooler and it helps to keep cool for oil temp for a few more laps on track.

The only problem is it's just a small 10 row oil cooler and it does not solve the overheating issue. For a more track focus setup I see people do dual oil cooler both side or have an extra one on the front right. Or you can cut through the middle bumper and crush bar to create a center air channel with oil cooler in it.
Can you elaborate on the overheating issue you're mentioning?

I take it you're saying a single cooler won't solve oil overheating?

I wasn't aware people were running more than 1 at a time on these cars! Dang

I plan on putting a dash gauge for oil temp in, so when I might as well put an oil cooler in too that way I can just tap into the sandwich plate.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
For Auto X I wouldn’t see a benefit of one. If you’re planning on doing 30 minute sessions then yeah.

I’m running a Greddy oil cooler and haven’t had any overheating issues.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So with one oil cooler I got overheat (oil temp to 265) at the 6th lap Ambient 98F.

No Oil cooler I got overheat probably at 4th or 5th lap and need to do a cool down lap.
same ambient.

one small 10 row oil cooler just slow the overheat issue but it will shows up eventually after a long seccion on track. Also, depends on how fast you drive.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I went with the Mishimoto for its larger size, 19 row.
I have not noticed any negative outcome from the brake duct removal but, I'm sure there is a decrease in cooling due to it...however, it seems negligible after my first 163 track miles logged since install.
The Mishimoto kit is an easy install but, like any kit, be careful about oil line routing and contact points. Use thread sealer on the fittings into the sandwich plate. It took longer to cut the front bumper grill than to install the kit!
This winter I'll fabricate some ducting similar to the HKS kit.

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I run a 19-row oil cooler on a wimpy Subaru BRZ, the Type R most likely needs something like a 34-row oil cooler (what 370Z's are running).

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I run a 19-row oil cooler on a wimpy Subaru BRZ, the Type R most likely needs something like a 34-row oil cooler (what 370Z's are running).
1000% true...but as you know, the 19 row is about as big as any kits currently come with...sure there are a few exotic outliers that cost a fortune.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
So with one oil cooler I got overheat (oil temp to 265) at the 6th lap Ambient 98F.

No Oil cooler I got overheat probably at 4th or 5th lap and need to do a cool down lap.
same ambient.

one small 10 row oil cooler just slow the overheat issue but it will shows up eventually after a long seccion on track. Also, depends on how fast you drive.
Man, lapping during a 100 degree day has to be just miserable.. but its nice to see that the oil cooler at least gets you a couple extra laps in.

FWIW, I was looking at also buying something like this to help open up the front bumper for air flow

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on FK8 Oil Coolers for HPDE 1634179446447

Its just nerve wracking not knowing what the oil temp is at while lapping. Im not too concerned on a cool day but when the heat gets up above 80 or 90, it would be nice to see and to have a cooler. Id like to Road America at some point which im sure will get both coolant and oil temps up there.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Man, lapping during a 100 degree day has to be just miserable.. but its nice to see that the oil cooler at least gets you a couple extra laps in.

FWIW, I was looking at also buying something like this to help open up the front bumper for air flow

1634179446447.png

Its just nerve wracking not knowing what the oil temp is at while lapping. Im not too concerned on a cool day but when the heat gets up above 80 or 90, it would be nice to see and to have a cooler. Id like to Road America at some point which im sure will get both coolant and oil temps up there.
I just bought those grills from @procivic about 30 min ago...they will mostly enhance the look as I hated the "fake" vents. I'm sure They will add cooling air to the oil cooler and somewhat to the intercooler end tanks as they protrude into the side grill area. However, I can see an argument for negative (lift/drag?) aerodynamic effects...like I said, I consider this mainly an aesthetic mod.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I just bought those grills from @procivic about 30 min ago...they will mostly enhance the look as I hated the "fake" vents. I'm sure They will add cooling air to the oil cooler and somewhat to the intercooler end tanks as they protrude into the side grill area. However, I can see an argument for negative (lift/drag?) aerodynamic effects...like I said, I consider this mainly an aesthetic mod.
I think its a functional mod because youre allowing air flow to the oil cooler and brake ducts. Im sure youll have an aerodynamic effect as well, but you have to wonder at what point will you feel that, like.. how fast do you need to go before having those open ducts negatively impacts you. Its all a tradeoff I suppose.

Be sure to let us all know once theyre in and how you like them.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another option, (though not the most cost effective) would be the HKS oil cooler with an upgraded C&R racing replacement core.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

As the midwest season begins to wind down, I along with many other people (im sure) are considering the different projects for the 2022 season.

For me, many of the things I wanna get done are track oriented, and an oil cooler is one of them.

For those of you who track fairly often, what are you thoughts on the different oil coolers on the market?

Ive noticed that some retain the factory brake duct, others eliminate them. Mishimoto has a thermostatic sandwich plate, others dont.

What was the tipping point for some of you that have them where you really took a step back and said "Wow, I really need to get one now".

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on a Greddy unit this winter just based on price and being able to retain the factory brake duct, but id like feedback on some of the other ones as well.

Thoughts?
Here is a write up on what we are running. My only suggestion would be to run a better core like a setrab. But the location was the reason we went for this.

https://www.27won.com/projectcars/blog/beat-the-heat-pt1-cooling-upgrades-for-the-fk8

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Anyone using the USR unit? looks like it has the setrab 19 row core and retains the factory brake duct

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on FK8 Oil Coolers for HPDE 1634214470953

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on FK8 Oil Coolers for HPDE 1634214478652

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone using the USR unit? looks like it has the setrab 19 row core and retains the factory brake duct

1634214470953.png

1634214478652.png
it has the same/similar ducting as the HKS, so pretty effective. Not sure which brand of cooler core they using but since its a larger core than 10row for Greddy&HKS. It should work better.