Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I wanted to run these tires earlier this season but found that they were out of stock by the time I got around to ordering them.

From other sources they appear to be very close to the Yoko A052 in performance but drive a bit more like the stiffer sidewall Bridgestone RE-71R. Apparently the sidewall is significantly stiffer than the Yoko but that also means the tire is significantly heavier which makes things slower. OTOH, it appears that the Falken is more consistent than either the Yoko or Bridgestone for a few laps anyway.

My car is not lowered and I am running 275/35-18 Nitto NT-01s with neg 2.6 camber and no rubbing on 45 mm offset Titan 7 wheels. Normally the NT-01 runs pretty narrow for the measurements but was wondering about running the Falken in 265 or 275. Interesting that at Tirerack, the 275 has a lower load capacity than the 265. Is this due to a softer sidewall?

Happy to get any input either personal or anecdotal. For competition purposes, I need 200 treadwear tires (although the old tech NT-01 is grandfathered in). Also concerned re availability of the Nanking CR-1 which also appears pretty fast.
Sponsored

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted to run these tires earlier this season but found that they were out of stock by the time I got around to ordering them.

From other sources they appear to be very close to the Yoko A052 in performance but drive a bit more like the stiffer sidewall Bridgestone RE-71R. Apparently the sidewall is significantly stiffer than the Yoko but that also means the tire is significantly heavier which makes things slower. OTOH, it appears that the Falken is more consistent than either the Yoko or Bridgestone for a few laps anyway.

My car is not lowered and I am running 275/35-18 Nitto NT-01s with neg 2.6 camber and no rubbing on 45 mm offset Titan 7 wheels. Normally the NT-01 runs pretty narrow for the measurements but was wondering about running the Falken in 265 or 275. Interesting that at Tirerack, the 275 has a lower load capacity than the 265. Is this due to a softer sidewall?

Happy to get any input either personal or anecdotal. For competition purposes, I need 200 treadwear tires (although the old tech NT-01 is grandfathered in). Also concerned re availability of the Nanking CR-1 which also appears pretty fast.
I run the RT660's now for 4 events, and they are just as fast as A052 and RE71R with much better wear. They handle heat better and have a good consistent wear. Sidewall is quite stiff. They'll be much faster than your NT01's. I also run a 275/35/18. I have 3 fast lap videos on my YouTube page, with a 4th coming today at 5pm. Link is in my sig.

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So does anyone have an issue with rubbing with the 275? I am on stock suspension with Hardrace ball joints in the mid position and 45mm offset wheels.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
NOT REALLY. 275 with some camber will not rub with stock sus.
Its up to 285 range you need to roll the fender.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm surprised I don't see more mention of how much these tires weigh- I've been looking at them a lot as an option, but can't get over the fact that they weigh in at 29lbs each for a 275/35 option! By comparison, an A052 in a 265/35 (they don't currently offer a 275/35 option) weigh 24lbs apiece. A huge difference!

Edit: I know that the Yoko tires are softer and don't have the same blocking/wall firmness and such- but still, 5lbs each in difference!

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
My take on it is,

The Falkens are a premium tire with a nice price tag, a few hundred less than the Yoks I think by comparison, at least $200 I think. For the cost, Im willing to eat the difference in weight simply because Im more looking to turn laps than the fastest lap times and still have a sticky tire. Im more confident in the sidewall not rolling over as well (although with adequate pressure and camber I would be with the A052 as well).

Theres no question that the A052 is a faster tire than the RT660 (but not by a large margin), but I have also read consistent reviews that A052s like as much camber as you can give them.. which means, how much benefit would people on stock camber settings get out of running them?

Of course, my mindset is much different than say someone like Lust or Brandon who is out trying to turn as fast as a lap as they can.. although I think Brandon set his fastest lap at Willow (?) on RT660s.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My take on it is,

The Falkens are a premium tire with a nice price tag, a few hundred less than the Yoks I think by comparison, at least $200 I think. For the cost, Im willing to eat the difference in weight simply because Im more looking to turn laps than the fastest lap times and still have a sticky tire. Im more confident in the sidewall not rolling over as well (although with adequate pressure and camber I would be with the A052 as well).

Theres no question that the A052 is a faster tire than the RT660 (but not by a large margin), but I have also read consistent reviews that A052s like as much camber as you can give them.. which means, how much benefit would people on stock camber settings get out of running them?

Of course, my mindset is much different than say someone like Lust or Brandon who is out trying to turn as fast as a lap as they can.. although I think Brandon set his fastest lap at Willow (?) on RT660s.
Sharing the same sentiments here. For the price, they can’t be beat. The sidewall is way stiffer, I can run 31-32 hot and not get rollover. All my fastest laps have so far been set on the 660’s this year.

since I’m still on stock dampers, unless I throw some camber ball joints on, I’m limited to -2° of camber up front, and the A052’s will want more than that. I would also kill those tires in likely 1 - 2 events.

So the extra 20lbs is worth it to me, the car makes more than enough power to make up for it.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's good to know. I'll be running the stock suspension on my 21 Type R next season, and don't plan to change it at the moment. I wouldn't consider the Advans in this case, so it looks like I'm going to give these a shot. I'm still a little teary eyed that I can't get the RE71R anymore, so this is the replacement. As of right now, I can't find any info on the RE71RS ETA for the states.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The complaints about the A052 are that it is vague feeling, is only really good for 1-2 laps, and needs a ton of camber. All of these are likely related to a much softer sidewall which also explains the lighter weight. I am pleased to hear that the Falkens can work at 32 PSI hot which means their contact patch is a pretty good size. As it turns out, I did purchase the 275/35-18 Falkens and wow, are they ever bigger than the 275/35-18 Nitto NT-01s they are replacing (but I believe the same weight). I haven't been able to use them on the track yet but did try a test fit and some very spirited driving with no rubbing at all on my stock ride height car although I do have neg 2.6 front camber.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The complaints about the A052 are that it is vague feeling, is only really good for 1-2 laps, and needs a ton of camber. All of these are likely related to a much softer sidewall which also explains the lighter weight. I am pleased to hear that the Falkens can work at 32 PSI hot which means their contact patch is a pretty good size. As it turns out, I did purchase the 275/35-18 Falkens and wow, are they ever bigger than the 275/35-18 Nitto NT-01s they are replacing (but I believe the same weight). I haven't been able to use them on the track yet but did try a test fit and some very spirited driving with no rubbing at all on my stock ride height car although I do have neg 2.6 front camber.
I have used the Advans, and got what I would call "extreme" rollover. They are most certainly very soft. It was a learning experience, for sure.

You have a +45 offset, right? No rubbing in the rear at all? I was just about to break out the Dremel and start trimming the fender, as I always have trouble in the rear with rubbing in the past.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No rubbing at all with 45 mm offset rims but I am at stock ride height. Even tried going a bit fast over speed bumps and no contact was made.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's good to know. I'll be running the stock suspension on my 21 Type R next season, and don't plan to change it at the moment. I wouldn't consider the Advans in this case, so it looks like I'm going to give these a shot. I'm still a little teary eyed that I can't get the RE71R anymore, so this is the replacement. As of right now, I can't find any info on the RE71RS ETA for the states.
I've been eyeing those new Bridgestones as well, but no info on them yet. The Falkens are an amazing tire and i'll likely keep running them for lapping until I finally cave and try the A052's.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on Falken RT660 tires Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 14.53.46

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Running 275 Goodyear F1 3R’s on 18x9.5 +45 this year on track.
Happy to report no real rubbing after I moved the front tabs up a bit further with -2.7 front camber, otherwise stock suspension. Very good grip, but yet to see how long these puppies will last...
Sponsored