2016-2019 Honda Civic received "below-average" reliability verdict by Consumer Reports...

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the point in buying a new Honda Civic if they are not any more reliable than American-brand cars.
I drove a rental Malibu all over Northern California for two weeks this past summer. I am not impressed.

The motor was gutless. The steering was vague. The body roll was horrendous. Didn't get me started on how unintuitive the infotainment was. Even with AA, I couldn't make phone calls.

The Civic is a much better car
Sponsored

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
When it comes to surveys like this, an engine that exploded, is the same as the AC system not working. And the later is where the Civic falls down. Electrical gremlins, particularly with the early cars, and the AC system failing. The core components are solid, even the CVT.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Consumer Reports:p
Drove a 2016 1.5t 128,000 trouble free miles. Driven a 2017 1.5t 52,000 trouble free miles.
I'm over here just happy my cvt (even with my tune and other engine mods) is still chugging and sounds healthy. Vs the CVT I had in a pre owned Nissan that didn't last me half a year. Also wouldn't allow me to past 60mph on a 8hr friend vacation trip....

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
But for what really matters, the drivetrain, I put way more trust in a Civic than almost any other car/brand.
Same here. My 2015 Honda Accord with CVT came with no issues for 95,000 miles before being totaled. So I had no qualms about getting a CVT in my 2019 Civic. It has no issues after 80,000 miles and 4 -5 years (but that is expected). With Honda's and Toyotas, you are also paying for refinement. I drove a Hyundai and the interior and infotainment system was nice. But the engine was not smooth. The things you touch or hold (namely) the steering wheel was of much higher quality in the Civic. The AC being an issue sucks though, since it is such an expensive fix as I know that some people have AC issues that weren't covered under warranty even. And for those fixed under warranty, it is annoying to have to do it more than once as many on here have. For right now, I will still take my chances on Honda, but also I still believe my Civic will last. A fuel pump issue and AC issue.

Even after all that, I do agree with another poster that if Hyundai and Kia step up their refinement, quality and reliability game they will be a force to be reckoned with.

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I drove a rental Malibu all over Northern California for two weeks this past summer. I am not impressed.

The motor was gutless. The steering was vague. The body roll was horrendous. Didn't get me started on how unintuitive the infotainment was. Even with AA, I couldn't make phone calls.

The Civic is a much better car
It is a total opposite in the Civic. There steering gives good feedback, body roll is very well controlled (for a non sports car), and the engine (1.5T) is smooth.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I bought my 2019 shitbox 2.0NA 4 door sedan because my 2009 shitbox 1.8NA 4 door sedan was virtually bulletproof. So far the reputation and experience is holding up strong. I buy the base model to thrash is commuter traffic and this is where this car shines.

Recalls are everywhere these days. I'd much rather have AC and fuel pump recalls instead of some of the other auto manufacturer active recalls.

OP
OP

waltcmusic

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic J-Vin
Country flag
Remember, new Civics don't last as long as the old ones now. The 2015 model year is the last high-reliability and bulletproof Civic, and the official stop-point reported by Consumer Reports, which came with a non-turbo 1.8L engine. Since 2016, other brands have been rated more reliable than Honda lately. A dramatic shift today...

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
The 2015 model year is the last high-reliability and bulletproof Civic, and the official stop-point reported by Consumer Reports, which came with a non-turbo 1.8L engine. Since 2016, other brands have been rated more reliable than Honda lately. A dramatic shift today...

Turbo is not synonymous with unreliable. I've got a gen 1 RDX with its original turbo, and it it's been tuned for last 5 years via Hondata. No problems with powertrain, and that was Honda's first turbo engine, introduced in 2006.

OP
OP

waltcmusic

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic J-Vin
Country flag
But Chevrolet has a better reputation for reliability than Honda now, especially the last 2018-2019 Cruze.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
it is disappointing to have A/C problems and disintgatating rubber window mouldings in a car less than 5 years old.my sons 1993 del sol was built better and will probably last longer.
Sponsored