Consumer Reports article on exploding sunroofs

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read the article but I'm still questioning what exactly is causing the sunroofs to explode. Is it the heat? Is it the material? Is it a design defect? What's the cause?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I read the article. I came away solidifying my opinion that Korean cars are junk

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The problem is that in a relatively new car on warranty glass can break because of impact and it also can break "by itself." In old cars it can break because it's old. Usually there is no way to prove in court what caused the glass to break. On one hand there are possible defects in glass or faulty installation (e.g. edge chips), on the other hand there is absolutely no doubt that plenty of people will try hard to extort the warranty even though they know they dropped a brick on the sunroof or drove through hail etc. Besides, how can anyone ever be sure a small rock didn't hit the sunroof? Very tiny rock can easily cause such "explosion."

These things are rare for most people. No one in my household ever had to replace any auto glass. I once had a small crack in the windshield, caused by a small rock/pebble coming from a truck on a freeway. It never got larger for over 10 years and I never tried to do anything about it. I also once had a crack at the bottom of the windshield in a rental SUV. I never noticed when it happened and it could have been there before. That summarizes all my adventures with auto glass.

The only real solution to this problem is, as usual, through testing, not just statistics. Someone needs to look at new cars and find those manufacturing defects. If this is not done, glass is glass. It's random/unpredictable. For this reason it's best to deal with glass issues by insurance. And sure enough windshield replacement is one of the most common car insurance claims. So is hail/storm damage. Still, that doesn't mean that car/glass manufacturers should get away with tolerating defects and that they shouldn't try to make stronger glass.

OP
OP
calonzo

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Does car insurance glass coverage cover sunroofs? I thought just windshields.
Otherwise the deductible will likely mean that you will be paying for it out of pocket.

HappyTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatch
Country flag
My sunroof exploded today. I was sitting at a stop light and BANG! Luckily the shade was drawn so I wasn't sliced by the glass shards that went everywhere. Of course the dealership refused to cover it under warranty. It's a 2019 Hatch EX with 8k miles on it. Dealership wants $950 installed price.

Honda Civic 10th gen Consumer Reports article on exploding sunroofs IMG_5231

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
My sunroof exploded today. I was sitting at a stop light and BANG! Luckily the shade was drawn so I wasn't sliced by the glass shards that went everywhere. Of course the dealership refused to cover it under warranty. It's a 2019 Hatch EX with 8k miles on it. Dealership wants $950 installed price.

IMG_5231.jpeg
I call BS on that dealership. Fight em tooth and nail, it's not your fault you got a defective sunroof.

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_5231.jpeg

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
My dealer had extra coverage for the glass for $350 with an IBEX application that's like RainX on steroids. Free replacement of any glass for five years due to roadside hazards. I have Sensing, so that front window is about $900-1200, while my old 96 Civic had the glass and rubber seal replaced for $170.

Your insurance, should you have comprehensive, usually has a secondary support or rate for glass coverage repair.

Sunroof glass popping like that sounds random as hell. Also, the shards aren't going to cut you. They're tempered safety glass. When they break, the edges aren't sharp.

I also wonder about the cars with high numbers of incidents and if they have poorly designed aerodynamics, such that small rocks are directed by the air to hit the sunroof and aren't channeled away. I have two small dents from rocks at the top back corners of my roof after two and a half years, and 13,000 miles.

KYBubblehead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sports Touring
Country flag
Not in my Civic, but my wife's new CR-V. Unnerving, to say the least...

stevessvt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Modern Steel Metallic Civic Si
Country flag
I wonder if it’s being caused by temperature differential? Freezing cold outside and blasting the heat inside....Does this happen more often in the winter?

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
This happened on my 2016 Honda HRV 6-MT, I had to pay $750 to replace the glass.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I read somewhere that it seemed to happen more with people that keep their shade closed...
Sponsored