Civic a "Best Car to get to 200,000" says Consumer Reports

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
That's why I wish more manufacturers would future proof their technology. I can't imagine that upgrading the software in the head units would be that taxing, especially if they are shared among models. I don't expect them to upgrade vehicles that are 10+ years old (though it would be nice); but would it kill them to fix bugs or provide updates for at least the warranty period or maybe 5 years?

A great example of this is the 2015-2016 Honda Fit and HRV, why is it that the headunit is virtually identical to the Civic yet there is not Apple Carplay/Android Auto and no future plans to offer a software upgrade? Considering that Carplay and Auto all run off the phone, so it wouldn't be taxing at all to add this feature to the headunits since it's just mirroring. The fact that the headunit on the 2016 Honda Fit is already out of date from the rest of the Honda lineup is kinda sad...
Apple Carplay actually requires specific hardware to be present, there is some kind of check Apple does.
The fact is Honda, like any other business, isn't going to spend resources updating old products without market justification. The scary thing in the 2016 Civic manual is the disclaimer that the stock Apps as well as Android Auto and Carplay could stop working at anytime due to changes in technology. Look at countless Android phones and tablets stuck several OS versions behind because LG or HTC or RCA won't be bothered to put together an update.
BTW I actually probably would have bought the Fit instead of the Civic if I could've gotten Android Auto and Sensing.
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apple Carplay actually requires specific hardware to be present, there is some kind of check Apple does.
The fact is Honda, like any other business, isn't going to spend resources updating old products without market justification. The scary thing in the 2016 Civic manual is the disclaimer that the stock Apps as well as Android Auto and Carplay could stop working at anytime due to changes in technology. Look at countless Android phones and tablets stuck several OS versions behind because LG or HTC or RCA won't be bothered to put together an update.
BTW I actually probably would have bought the Fit instead of the Civic if I could've gotten Android Auto and Sensing.
Be careful, people are gonna jump all over you for suggesting anything negative about Android Auto or Apple Carplay. :p

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Be careful, people are gonna jump all over you for suggesting anything negative about Android Auto or Apple Carplay. :p
Haha I don't think so, we all know it's finnicky but we are early adopters and want to have faith that everything will be alright! That being said, my faith is dwindling :banghead:

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Yeah I saw that on LinkedIn. I'm a computer guy so I've able to get around the infotainment and electronics glitches (although they are persistently annoying) but the horrible gas mileage is what sticks in my craw with my 2016 EX. Still haven't gotten around to doing an ECM retrain. My wife has this mindset that if we don't buy the car at the end of the lease we've lost our money and I know that's not the case, but can't figure out how to explain it to her yet... right now I don't want to keep this car.

TheWalkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many
Country flag
Yeah I saw that on LinkedIn. I'm a computer guy so I've able to get around the infotainment and electronics glitches (although they are persistently annoying) but the horrible gas mileage is what sticks in my craw with my 2016 EX. Still haven't gotten around to doing an ECM retrain. My wife has this mindset that if we don't buy the car at the end of the lease we've lost our money and I know that's not the case, but can't figure out how to explain it to her yet... right now I don't want to keep this car.
What do you mean by, "horrible gas mileage?" I'm averaging over 36 and couldn't be happier.

I agree that my biggest long term concern about longerm ownership is with the buggy software and how well Honda will keep it upgraded. From a mechanical standpoint, I couldn't be happier.... except for those uncomfortable seats!

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
What do you mean by, "horrible gas mileage?" I'm averaging over 36 and couldn't be happier.

I agree that my biggest long term concern about longerm ownership is with the buggy software and how well Honda will keep it upgraded. From a mechanical standpoint, I couldn't be happier.... except for those uncomfortable seats!
I'm stuck at 28-29 mpg overall. I do probably 60% freeway miles, 40% city miles. You probably have the turbo engine.
You know the seats seem comfortable enough. My wife says so at least. Although I will say they are a bit narrow for me. I feel like my legs go up the sides a bit.

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CR deserves a gold star.

No lumbar support? Car's unreliable!
Audio glitches? Unreliable, and your car will implode on the side of the road at any time.

CR must employ special snowflakes.

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I sold my '00 Civic a few weeks ago. It had 176k miles on it. I am fairly confident that car will be able to run another 4-5 years. I did the proper maintenance and had no major issues with the car except for normal wear and tear.

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
I was a service advisor. I had to explain to a customer at least once a week that their particular problem wasn't covered, to which they always yelled back that the salesman said it was bumper to bumper. I got tired of trying to cover for the salesmen and quickly learned to tell them that was the warranty coverage and they could question the salesman that told them that. That was often followed by the salesman coming and trying to give me a hard time after the customer complained to them, which I quickly learned to give them a "not my problem" attitude. Man I'm glad I'm out of the car biz.
If your an honest person it would be hard to lie daily to customers.That's what they want you to do and they call it sales/marketing.

Bawb333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O.o
I think the unit actually runs an android OS - It sure looks like it from what I've seen of the settings menu. Which means it should be easy to update, and maybe the folks on XDA developers will figure out how to gain root access to it. That would effectively give us unlimited updates/modifications as long as people continue to work on it.

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
According to Consumer Reports the Civic is most likely to get over 200,000 miles on it yet is rated poor in dependability.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm stuck at 28-29 mpg overall. I do probably 60% freeway miles, 40% city miles. You probably have the turbo engine.
You know the seats seem comfortable enough. My wife says so at least. Although I will say they are a bit narrow for me. I feel like my legs go up the sides a bit.
Sounds like driving habits to me. I get amazing MPG on my car, but I have to drive it accordingly to get those numbers. I can easily get 25mpg if I drive hard/fast. Slow soft starts and never over 70mph and you'll get another 10mpg out of that car. Economy mode is your friend to keep you driving soft.

My Fuelly average should be much higher, but I drove 80mph on the expressway and loved the pull of the CVT. I was getting 35-36, mostly highway. I adjusted my driving habits and now I get 41-44mpg.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Sounds like driving habits to me. I get amazing MPG on my car, but I have to drive it accordingly to get those numbers. I can easily get 25mpg if I drive hard/fast. Slow soft starts and never over 70mph and you'll get another 10mpg out of that car. Economy mode is your friend to keep you driving soft.

My Fuelly average should be much higher, but I drove 80mph on the expressway and loved the pull of the CVT. I was getting 35-36, mostly highway. I adjusted my driving habits and now I get 41-44mpg.
I live in southern California. Doing less than 70 on the freeway gets you run over, lol. I usually go 74. If I am not in a rush I'll try to do 69, but I usually can't deal with any slower than that.
BTW, after an ECU reset I am now getting 32-33 mpg combined. So it's better.
Sponsored