Civic a "Best Car to get to 200,000" says Consumer Reports

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True. Not talking Civics or Hondas in general, I've known a few idiots who thought all they had to do was just put gas in their car. Engine seized up? Bald tires that have no traction? No worries! :confused:
This reminded me of a neighbor we had when I was younger. It was an older lady, she asked my dad to look at her car because it was slightly knocking. He pulls the dipstick out to check the oil level. The oil was as black as black can get. He asked her when the last time she had the oil changed was. Her car had almost 50,000 miles on it. She looked at him and said, "I didn't know I was suppose to do that". I'll never forget the look on his face when he looked at me. Classic.

Bad thing is, she was as sweet as they come. Super nice to me all the time. My dad rebuilt her engine for free. I changed her oil twice a year after that for a few years until she passed away.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Agreed. Though in the hands of the right owner, seems almost any mainstream car can go on indefinitely.

What I like about CR's list is that it evaluates models in the hands of the Average Joe. Telling someone to change the oil every 5-10K vs. a maintenance minder... well... we all know which has the higher success rate. ;)

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good but it can't top this famous Volvo P1800 that hit 3 million miles a couple years ago: http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/the-record-breaking-roadster-with-3-million-miles/
I'm note sure I believe stories like this, especially the Volvo. It takes a truck driver many years to rack up the million mile award, and they drive most of the day almost every day. I mean, it's possible, but.....

I've saw stories with absolute proof of how UFOs are real too though.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
I'm note sure I believe stories like this, especially the Volvo. It takes a truck driver many years to rack up the million mile award, and they drive most of the day almost every day. I mean, it's possible, but.....

I've saw stories with absolute proof of how UFOs are real too though.
Irv Gordon the Volvo owner is very famous in car circles. I remember when he hit a million miles many years ago. Look around at you can find many articles about him and his car.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
This article is such BS. How can they possibly tell a vehicle will last 200k miles when its all brand new? With Oil consumption issues on some brands, and carbon build up on others plus all the new electronics, I doubt we'll be getting too many vehicles going high miles without a ton of fixing.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's not Rocket Science lol. Some cars have VERY strong and consistent track records. And while there are hiccups in each automaker's history, certain brands consistently fair better than others. The Camry and Corolla, for example, use dated electronics that are still relevant today; but have years and millions of miles of field testing behind them. And Toyota (like Honda) contracts with more Top Tier component manufacturers than many of their competitors. Things like AC compressors, starters, and alternators. A majority of the Japanese automakers prioritize simplicity and efficiency. At least to a certain degree.

All these little things, while insignificant by themselves, add up to better long term reliability once combined. My 2 cents...

Slim Kermie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2006 Yamaha R6
Most vehicles can make it well past 200,000 miles with proper maintenance before continued repairs become a bad financial decision.

The issue is that the vast majority of vehicle owners think that "proper maintenance" only means changing the oil every X miles, and maybe the spark plugs when their mechanic sees P0300. Sure, you can get a vehicle to 100,000 miles like that, but it's going to have a lot of issues that start becoming apparent very quickly.

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
I definitely agree that the civic will make it to 200k AT LEAST... my worry is in regards to how well will the features function at that point. Sure it'll drive, stop, turn, etc. but the dash is what worries me especially. It is like having a tablet and expecting it to last 10 years... also when something does go wrong, everything is so intertwined that it is bound to make other accessories and functions malfunction. Civics have always been pretty basic in terms of the features, but hopefully adding all of these extra tech features doesn't toy with the civics reliability. Just my .02

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I definitely agree that the civic will make it to 200k AT LEAST... my worry is in regards to how well will the features function at that point. Sure it'll drive, stop, turn, etc. but the dash is what worries me especially. It is like having a tablet and expecting it to last 10 years... also when something does go wrong, everything is so intertwined that it is bound to make other accessories and functions malfunction. Civics have always been pretty basic in terms of the features, but hopefully adding all of these extra tech features doesn't toy with the civics reliability. Just my .02
That's why I wish more manufacturers would future proof their technology. I can't imagine that upgrading the software in the head units would be that taxing, especially if they are shared among models. I don't expect them to upgrade vehicles that are 10+ years old (though it would be nice); but would it kill them to fix bugs or provide updates for at least the warranty period or maybe 5 years?

A great example of this is the 2015-2016 Honda Fit and HRV, why is it that the headunit is virtually identical to the Civic yet there is not Apple Carplay/Android Auto and no future plans to offer a software upgrade? Considering that Carplay and Auto all run off the phone, so it wouldn't be taxing at all to add this feature to the headunits since it's just mirroring. The fact that the headunit on the 2016 Honda Fit is already out of date from the rest of the Honda lineup is kinda sad...
Sponsored