Civic a "Best Car to get to 200,000" says Consumer Reports

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/10-best-cars-to-get-to-200000-miles-and-beyond/

"Redesigned for 2016, the Civic has been significantly improved, and is now a more substantial, refined, and capable car than the previous model. The base engine is a 2.0-liter four-cylinder; a 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder comes on EX-T and Touring versions. The continuously variable transmission works well with the turbo. The ride is more comfortable, handling is precise, and the quieter interior has a lot more storage space."

1. Honda Accord
2. Toyota Camry
3. Honda Civic
4. Honda Odyssey
5. Toyota Prius
6. Toyota Sienna
7. Honda CR-V
8. Toyota Corolla
9. Toyota 4-Runner
10. Ford F-150
Sponsored

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
"10 Best Cars to Get to 200,000 Miles and Beyond
These sedans, SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks are most likely to serve your needs for the long haul
By Jon Linkov
March 14, 2016

SHARES

Almost any car can make it to 200,000 miles and beyond if you’re willing to throw enough money at it. But that doesn’t mean that keeping your trusty steed is a good idea. A less expensive and more hassle-free way to go is to simply buy a safe, reliable model in the first place, and properly maintain it for the long haul...."

(more at the link above)

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I try not to put much faith into these sorts of things. I mean the 1.5L turbo is a relatively new engine and the 10th gen civic is a whole new chassis.

Same with most of the other cars in the list, just seems a bit premature to say they are the most likeliest to reach 200k when the data used to support the claim has to be based solely on the previous generations. I mean this sentence right here:

Of the 740,000 vehicles represented in our annual subscriber survey, these are the 10 cars, SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks respondents most often reported as having more than 200,000 miles. They are listed in order based on the total number of responses on vehicles that had 200,000 or more miles.
Just how many 2015-2016 cars have 200,000 miles?

I mean if we assume that someone owns a 2015 car and we assume they bought sometime in the middle of 2014, that would mean a person would have to drive the car for ~270 miles per day. Even if someone were to do that, while the miles are high the car itself is still new so while the mileage has taken it's toll, time has not. The seals, gaskets and rubber haven't actually started to degrade too much so even though the car has 200k miles the car as a whole is still "new".

Just keeping it in perspective. :thumbsup:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
D'Awww...stop making me blush Consumer Reports! ;)

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
I try not to put much faith into these sorts of things. I mean the 1.5L turbo is a relatively new engine and the 10th gen civic is a whole new chassis.

Same with most of the other cars in the list, just seems a bit premature to say they are the most likeliest to reach 200k when the data used to support the claim has to be based solely on the previous generations. I mean this sentence right here:

Of the 740,000 vehicles represented in our annual subscriber survey, these are the 10 cars, SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks respondents most often reported as having more than 200,000 miles. They are listed in order based on the total number of responses on vehicles that had 200,000 or more miles.
Just how many 2015-2016 cars have 200,000 miles?

I mean if we assume that someone owns a 2015 car and we assume they bought sometime in the middle of 2014, that would mean a person would have to drive the car for ~270 miles per day. Even if someone were to do that, while the miles are high the car itself is still new so while the mileage has taken it's toll, time has not. The seals, gaskets and rubber haven't actually started to degrade too much so even though the car has 200k miles the car as a whole is still "new".

Just keeping it in perspective. :thumbsup:
True.

But Consumer Reports is basing this on decades of data. "Past performance doesn't guarantee future results," as is often said, but CR seems confident that it's a good predictor if Civics from the 80s, 90s, 2000s and beyond often got to 200k, then the new 2016 Civic is likely to as well—with some luck, and a lot of good maintenance and tlc. As you notice, 4 of the top 10 vehicles are Hondas.

It's a closely guarded secret, but I think most car manufacturers more or less set engineering goals for how long a vehicle is supposed to last with average use and good maintenance. It's just a guess, but I think that maybe Ford, GM, and Chrysler try to engineer cars to last up to c. 15 years and c. 150,000 miles, hopefully without major repairs to the engine and transmission, while Honda and Toyota aim for more like 20 years and 200k. Of course many vehicles don't make it that many miles or years, but some go even longer and farther. Ford's trucks, of course, are in a special category, and are "over-engineered" to take heavy abuse. The F-150 is by far Ford's most important product.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This makes me wonder if I should get an extended warranty

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This makes me wonder if I should get an extended warranty
Honestly, I think it's wise. There's a LOT of tech on this car and it's not gonna be cheap to repair out of warranty. And it's a first model year. Go get a quote from Saccuchi Honda. Infinitely cheaper than your local dealer and the same warranty.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Even consumer reports advises not to get an extended warranty unless the model you are buying has a history of needing repairs.

Extended warranties are like Las Vegas, you are gambling that you will need to use it and the manufacture and warranty companies are gambling you won't need it. Guess who wins 99% of the time on that bet? If you said the manufacture/warranty companies then you are a winner.

Save your money, if your car is going to be a problem car it will show up in the first 3 years and 36,000 miles of ownership at which point why would you want to keep it if it has shown to be a problem car to start with?

I stopped buying extended warranties and have not once found a need for one. Extended warranties are high profit items for the dealers.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We bought an extended warranty on my wife's previous car. It cost around $1500 I think. We used it once for a repair that I could have done for about $200.

So....

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I commute over 80 Miles a day to work. I got the warranty for peace of mind especially since this is a new generation

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
Sure it's a gamble but I figure it's a new gen with some new tech and I plan to keep the car a long time so I'm getting the 8/120 no deductible from Hyannis for $1025. The extra 5 years will cost me about $17 a month average, that's peanuts for some peace of mind.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
Not from a dealer certainly. Unless they can match what Hyannis or Saccucci offer them for. And I would never buy a third party warranty, only Honda Care.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Let me clarify, the only warranties I had experience with were through 3rd parties. I should have mentioned that.
Sponsored