Consumer Reports 2016 Reliability Rating

huangd79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I have the LX trim hatchback. My AC was dead on arrival caused by some faulty line they had to replace. The front grill was not installed correctly that left a huge gap between it and the passenger side headlight housing. Just got that straightened out today. All this from a brand new 2017 car that I've only had for two weeks and about 400 miles. Driving back and forth to the dealer accounts for half of those miles. Quality issues? You tell me.
Sponsored

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Wait...the Civic got a poor rating but came in as one of the most likely cars to get 200,000 miles? From the same magazine?

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
This is why consumer reports is a load of shit. It counts every fault regardless of severity equally. No volume knob or the infotainment system is buggy? The ding from that issue has the same weighting as an catastrophic engine failure you might see in something much less 'reliable'
ford suffers the same thing.3/4 of all their defects are infotainment related. The result of using Microsoft for their supplier. But really skews their ratings downward... thank for the info

glostix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars are against my religion.
Seems CR has quietly revised their rating.

In their just-released November 2016 New Cars guide the 10th gen Civic is "Recommended", although there is no reliability data for 2016 or 2017 models yet because they're too new.

http://imgur.com/a/wmNlS

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Is this revised CR rating specific to '17-built cars? If so, perhaps they tested a recent build with better infotainment results.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this revised CR rating specific to '17-built cars? If so, perhaps they tested a recent build with better infotainment results.
Nah, they didn't list the hatch so it looks like its still '16, which makes it all the more confusing.

Mukbang818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
I guess they realized that an infotainment system does not leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Also with all the complaints about the 2016 Civic, if you look at past complaint data, the 2001, 2002, 2006, and 2009 Civics were much worse.

Last edited:

audiosoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I think the guys that review for CR are getting to old. The emphasis they placed on the lack of a volume knob is ridicules. There are thee different ways to change the volume on the radio. The touch screen, sliding your finger on the steering wheel volume or clicking up or down on the steering wheel volume control. I think these old farts need to learn something new.....

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I have the LX trim hatchback. My AC was dead on arrival caused by some faulty line they had to replace. The front grill was not installed correctly that left a huge gap between it and the passenger side headlight housing. Just got that straightened out today. All this from a brand new 2017 car that I've only had for two weeks and about 400 miles. Driving back and forth to the dealer accounts for half of those miles. Quality issues? You tell me.
Sometimes I think it depends upon which factory assembled your car, who did the actual assembly, etc. Quality control is the problem here and the Honda name is taking a hit because of it. For every story like yours there are countless others where the car is beautifully assembled and operating as it should. It's sort of luck of the draw and it shouldn't be!

cwradio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sense, 2011 CR-V EX
Country flag
I noticed the rating for the 2016 Honda Accord for in car electronics category for the April CR was rated 2% below better as compared to the Civic which was rated worse.
I thought the infotainment display system was the same in both cars.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the rating for the 2016 Honda Accord for in car electronics category for the April CR was rated 2% below better as compared to the Civic which was rated worse.
I thought the infotainment display system was the same in both cars.
My 2017 Accord infotainment system, which I think is the same as the 2016, has two screens. One above the other. The Civic has only one. So no, they aren't the same. I really like the dual screen setup. And it works quite well, once you learn all the idiosyncrasies of it

MrX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ciivc LX sedan
The CR Car Issue is out and Civic does not get the check-mark. Road test rating is reasonably high in the compact category, but will need some revisions to keep sales strong. The predicted reliability is what stands out. Some areas (paint/trim and body hardware) should improve with improved manufacturing and In-Car Electronics with software updates. Any experience here on power equipment issues?

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The CR Car Issue is out and Civic does not get the check-mark. Road test rating is reasonably high in the compact category, but will need some revisions to keep sales strong. The predicted reliability is what stands out. Some areas (paint/trim and body hardware) should improve with improved manufacturing and In-Car Electronics with software updates. Any experience here on power equipment issues?
The CR rating is purely relative. I have a 2016 Touring and have not had any real issue with my infotainment unit and a minor software update for the parking brake. Thank God had no power equipment issues and my paint/trim and body hardware are the way they are supposed to be. My car is not garaged and I have almost 100 mile round trip commute to work in suburban and city driving. Remember it's all how you care for your car too. People are notorious for neglecting their cars and blame the manufacturer for "defects." Yes, there might be some legitimate cases where things don't come from the factory the way they should or perhaps a batch of defective parts slips through, but that is an issue of quality control and in no way should reflect everyone's experience as these reports would have you believe!
Sponsored