Consumer Reports 2016 Reliability Rating

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
car ratings don't mean much. I read in either J. D. Powers or Edmunds (don't remember which) that the P. T. Cruiser was rated very highly for reliability. I laughed out loud. I have known three people who owned P. T. Cruisers and all three said the same thing; the car was the worst piece of junk they ever owned.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
car ratings don't mean much. I read in either J. D. Powers or Edmunds (don't remember which) that the P. T. Cruiser was rated very highly for reliability. I laughed out loud. I have known three people who owned P. T. Cruisers and all three said the same thing; the car was the worst piece of junk they ever owned.
And the only ones that are remaining are either owned by grandmas, damaged to hell and back, or were killed in Cash for Clunkers :rofl:

cwradio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sense, 2011 CR-V EX
Country flag
October 2017 issue of CR shows Honda Link infotainment system in the 40% of very satisfied range (least satisfying). With worse rating for voice commands and down arrows for Bluetooth, navigation and audio streaming.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
October 2017 issue of CR shows Honda Link infotainment system in the 40% of very satisfied range (least satisfying). With worse rating for voice commands and down arrows for Bluetooth, navigation and audio streaming.
I can barely corroborate any of that, because I use CarPlay maybe 99% of the time. The only times I don't are to hear local traffic radio or to remind myself why the Garmin-based nav is so clunky to use.

HoosierDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima 10, Chrysler Town Country 12
I subscribe to CR and I only read their reports for a bit of guidance. Some of the problems they report are non-issues, especially when it comes to the cars they review. I bought a Civic Touring and so far I have no issues with anything - no rattle from sub woofer, the turbo isn't offensively loud to me, and there isn't any paint chipping. (Of course, I have 2 layers of wax on the car, soon to be three layers.) The ride is great, I like the interior, and the combined MPG is just a bit north of 36. The only negative I have experienced noted by some of the reviews I read is that I infrequently turn down the volume when I make a turn. So, I am very please with my purchase despite CR's rating of the car and I would purchase the same car in a heart beat - no regrets.
Agree 100%.
Over the years my family has had many opinions of cars we owned that were the opposite of CR's. Living with the cars day-to-day for months/years we often felt that a car CR ripped was a MUCH better vehicle than one CR loved.....and vice-versa.

leaat23

First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 10 1.5l Vtec Turbo
Country flag
I agree with the paint issues, my 2000 Subaru Impreza had a simply wonderful paint job, always looked like new and smooth with no orange peel, my new Civic on the other hand has a pretty poor paint job with orange peel effect, I also agree that the audio is pretty shabby and could be a much better experience.

internalaudit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
Went through the entire thread. It sounds like the latter built '16's (July onward) and entire '17s will have majority of these issues fixed?

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Went through the entire thread. It sounds like the latter built '16's (July onward) and entire '17s will have majority of these issues fixed?
2001 was the first year of the 7th generation. It had the most complaints of any 7th generation model year.
2006 was the first year of the 8th generation. It had the most complaints of any 8th generation model year.
2012 was the first year of the 9th generation. It had the most complaints of any 9th generation model year.
2016 was the first year of the 10th generation. It had the most complaints of any 10th generation model year so far.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/

Maybe you can see the pattern.

I think that the 2017 + model years will probably be very reliable.
Even the 2016s have had most of the problems resolved. You don't hear nearly as many complaints about the 2016s as you did in early 2016.

philfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Honda HR-V EX
Country flag
I had a 2001 civic manual and had no issues at all. I don’t know if it was mostly the autos that had the issues. Also had a 2012 civic and didn’t run into any mechanical issues at all.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I had a 2001 civic manual and had no issues at all. I don’t know if it was mostly the autos that had the issues. Also had a 2012 civic and didn’t run into any mechanical issues at all.
It was in fact the automatic transmissions that were the biggest problems in 2001.
The 2012s were reliable. Just not quite as reliable as the 2013, 2014 and 2015s.

internalaudit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
So except for the potential infotainment issues, all other issues on the 2016 can be fixed? I am thinking of going used this time (the EX-T and Touring already has ACC with LSF and the Honda Sensing suite), possibly a lease takeover (with mechanical inspection) because buying new has been setting me back some pretty pennies -- 2011 Accord coupe I4 5A/T and 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. The first car we purchased was an 02 Civic 5 M/T, good to know why I'm still driving it lol.

We got the Accord when electronic stability control was just going to become mandatory, we got the hybrid RAV4 because of the dynamic cruise control and auto emergency braking and even then, it does have LSF, like in 2016+ Honda's.
Sponsored