The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So the datalog is only a couple minutes of cruising basically and doesn't give the full picture. But I see one glaring problem and it's 99% likely to have nothing to do with the tune in any way. You're running extremely rich.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Screenshot 2024-02-17 143045

That -17.97% LTFT number does not look good. The way you can for sure tell it's not the tune is to flash back to stock. I'm sure fuel trims will be equally bad. This is something that was happening before the tune.

Those highly rich numbers could be a lot of things. Are you currently getting a check engine light by any chance? I remember previously you were having an underboost condition related to your IC install. I wonder if these trim numbers have to do with some issue with your intake install and the MAF sensor.
Sponsored

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Country flag
So the datalog is only a couple minutes of cruising basically and doesn't give the full picture. But I see one glaring problem and it's 99% likely to have nothing to do with the tune in any way. You're running extremely rich.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 143045.png

That -17.97% LTFT number does not look good. The way you can for sure tell it's not the tune is to flash back to stock. I'm sure fuel trims will be equally bad. This is something that was happening before the tune.

Those highly rich numbers could be a lot of things. Are you currently getting a check engine light by any chance? I remember previously you were having an underboost condition related to your IC install. I wonder if these trim numbers have to do with some issue with your intake install and the MAF sensor.
is there a way to find out when the datalog was created? I had 5 on the OB logging and I just picked the 2nd one since the 1st was the smallest size in KB. I think I may have done some of the logs during the boost problem. I'm not sure how to check which is the most recent.

EDIT: no I do not have a check engine light on, nor any other light on at the moment. I do have the TMPS light that I've had on ever since I got new tires last year. I check the tire pressure constantly and they've been good so far.

EDIT2: also out of those 5 data logs, a couple should be stock. I connected it when I had fixed the IC problem with the lights and was messing around with the KTuner so I think that datalog should be stock but I have no way of knowing because they just say "session #" and the KB size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do me a favor. Do a new log. 15-20 minutes of driving. With a pull. Hopefully you just posted a earlier log done when you were having boost issues.

Do it asap as we need to see if your trims are currently as bad as they look on that log.

All I can do is suggest things. If you aren't mechanically inclined, and a new log shows the poor trims, it might be best to take your car to a mechanic for diagnosis.

The list is of potential causes is very long related to fuel trims. And the trims on that log you posted were very very bad.

Last edited:

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do me a favor. Do a new log. 15-20 minutes of driving. With a pull. Hopefully you just posted a earlier log done when you were having boost issues.

Do it asap as we need to see if your trims are currently as bad as they look on that log.

All I can do is suggest things. If you aren't mechanically inclined, and a new log shows the poor trims, it might be best to take your car to a mechanic for diagnosis.

The list is of potential causes is very long related to fuel trims. And the trims on that log you posted were very very bad.
okay I'll try and get a new log. do you know by any chance what it's supposed to be at? if need be I can upload my latest log I have to see if that one is also bad on LTFT

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep go ahead and upload the latest one for sure...

As far as fuel trims you never want to see a number higher than 10%.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good news. Everything is fine. You obviously uploaded the one when you had an issue earlier.

This newest one looks great. :thumbsup: Trims, boost, knock control all top notch. No need for another log.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Screenshot 2024-02-17 153429

Last edited:

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good news. Everything is fine. You obviously uploaded the one when you had an issue earlier.

This newest one looks great.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 153429.png
okay thank you for checking it out. I didn't know in the order they were created. I figured the "session 1" was my latest for some reason, but since it was a small file, I went to session 2. Sorry for the scare. I was frightened I'd have to take my car into a mechanic.

I appreciate your help!

JoelYamagushi

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1.5T Civic CVT
Country flag
Update post

Vehicle: 2018 Civic EX-L sedan

Total tuned time: 1 year 1 month

Tuned miles driven: 40,000km / 25000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable's 1.5R tune

Fuel used: 93

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI, Wagner intercooler, HKS LegaMax, Decatted stock downpipe, Cusco oil catch can, CVT cooler, AMSOIL CVT

Problems/issues: P0087 when going from light throttle to flooring it, happens maybe about once every 6 months. Easing into the throttle prevents it from happening. CVT overheating is the main issue for me on highway runs. Even on AMSOIL CVT with a CVT cooler, im seeing temps of up to 110c/240F on an average speed of about 180kmh/ 110mph for about 7-8 minutes. Sucks but usually il chill once it hits the 100c/220f mark. il try to add a bigger cooler from Hayden soon

Driving style: Mainly a daily driver. Do some touge and highway runs every weekend

Tune experience notes: No issues with the tune at all. Had a revision done when i added a catless downpipe. Overall very satisfied but im probably gonna get a custom tune from DRob soon

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Consider a custom with John Vega as well. He's excellent.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Tuning device used is now Hondata. I will probably switch back to Cobb since Hondata is $$$ LOL. The car is now making 326WHP, 372FT-LBs - still on Esso (Exxon) 91. The revised tune feels great, but the car backfires when I revmatch downshift. I'm slightly concerned about this but am monitoring closely.

The car went back in between Dec 30 and Jan 2 for some Hondata testing. My tuner was able to replicate the same custom tune on Hondata as they built in Cobb. The primary difference between the two is accessibility to the consumer. Hondata has a base map library with mod selection as well as toggle switches (on/off), whereas Cobb you would need to have a tuner.

As it turns out, when you unpair Cobb it relocks the car. Cost is another difference but everything after that is like Android (Hondata) vs iPhone (Cobb).

Here are some Pros and Cons:

Hondata:
- Costly initial startup cost
+ allows for customization beyond the tuner
+ has presets to easily turn on customization
+ Hondata Traction Control
+ multi tune select via cruise control
+ OTS Stage 1 actually works. Not well, but it runs. The numbers are significantly lower than my custom tune (ofc) and has oscillation in the top end (once again due to MAF limitations)
+ Hondata app available = Gauges directly on the headunit (with HondaHack)

Cobb:
+ cheaper start up cost
+ Gauges with just the device
- OTS Stage 1 doesn't even run
- No customization. Only pro-tuners (aka Stratifed, other Cobb shops) are allowed to modify
Did you run the OTS Cobb Stage 1 with the stock intake or an aftermarket? First time I've heard that the Cobb map doesn't run, but you should be running it on a mechanically stock car. That might explain why your MAF sensor was acting up on the tune.

For those custom options, they are going to be far short of what a custom tune, or even something like a Phearable/1to1 OTS map. You are going to be out the couple hundred for a custom or OTS either way unless you are happy with more of a midpoint.

I'm also curious as to how there is such a delta between your HP and torque figures, usually they are closer than that.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Shred are you tuned? If so, could you add your car to this thread?

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Shred are you tuned? If so, could you add your car to this thread?
Tuning is probably the better tense, troubleshooting an AFR issue at the moment as its running way too rich at times on the more recent revisions. Once I'm done I can add it, but at this stage I don't feel its appropriate.

I'm running PRL HVI/Intercooler/Charge Pipes, Rampage inlet, 91 octane and tuning on Cobb for anyone who sees this in the interim. As Cobb releases more parts I might throw them on to see if they are any better or worse than the PRL stuff. I run the gamut of autocross/track/daily duties, but I don't regularly drive the car on a commute.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
*CHANGES REPORTED*: NO MAJOR CHANGES FROM LAST UPDATE EXCEPT FOR ADDED MILEAGE AND TIME DURATION.

1st Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-147#post-1002418

2nd Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-244#post-1099128

3rd Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-316#post-1180600

4th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-335#post-1211539

5th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-363#post-1245437

6th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-385#post-1258537

7th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-394#post-1263828

8th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-401#post-1268435

9th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ad-for-all-models.42361/page-419#post-1278837

10th Update: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...eliability-thread.42361/page-434#post-1286479

11th Update: (Previously started from 27350 miles on the 1st update then 36018 miles on the 2nd update then 48008 miles on the 3rd update then 52391 on the 4th update then 60995 on the 5th update then 65267 on the 6th update then 67220 on the 7th update then 69216 on the 8th update then 72479 on the 9th update on the 10th update 75589 and now 77039 for this current update. First tuned on May 8th, 2021. 2nd Update taken on January 6th, 2022, 3rd Update taken on September 30th, 2022, 4th Update taken on January 2nd, 2023 and the 5th Update taken on May 10th, 2023 and the 6th Update taken on July 18th, 2023 and the 7th Update taken on August 18th, 2023 and the 8th Update taken on September 19th, 2023 and the 9th Update taken on November 29th, 2023 and the 10th Update taken on January 25th, 2024 and the 11th Update taken on February 19th, 2024.)

Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT 1.5T

Total tuned time: 1018 Days (approximately 2 Years, 9 Months and 12 Days)

Tuned miles driven: 49689

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 Non-Si

Fuel used: (California) Mostly Costco 91, Sometimes Shell 91, Chevron 91, ARCO 91

Additional related mods: 27WON CAI with 27WON Street MAF, MISHIMOTO Intercooler, 27WON FRONT-PIPE, 27WON BBK Redline Red, HKS Hi-Power Spec L II Exhaust FK7 31019-AH108, 27WON FSTB, ULTRA RACING Lower Rear Hatch Brace, Type R Rear Motor Mount, Type R Subframe Brace, Si Rear Sway Bar, Accord Endlinks, Enkei T6R Glossy Black 18x8 +40 Offset, 235/40r18 95Y BSW Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, HKS Hipermax S FK7 Full Kit Coilovers HKS 80300-AH009.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Fast and sometimes aggressive. Driven harder than usual. My foot is much heavier after adding so many mods to this car. I usually drive in D but sometimes shift between D to S mainly for passing or doing a hard pull. I am driving my car harder more times than before. My foot just likes to get more heavy than usual. Obviously, I baby it when traffic is heavy. Amazing how I passed 45K tuned miles without any issues.

Tuning experience notes: Tuning is an absolute must. The main reason I tuned was to reduce any lag and to add more oomph to the driving experience. I am very satisfied with Map 2, no need for Map 3 for me (although I tried Map 3 once but will be stay on Map 2 until I get a custom tune that is still safe on Torque levels for the CVT) as that will be damaging to the internals and we know how weak this platform is for the FK7. I wanted more power and staying on Map 2 seems to be just right. No engine or transmission troubles so far since first day of tuning.

Extra Note:

First CVT trans fluid change was done at approximately 34600 miles... yeah I know that's a bit late..., will do the next one sooner for sure.

Second CVT trans fluid change was done at 54597 miles.

Build: Robot3RK Build | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

10th Gen Cyberpunk Itasha Honda Civic Hatchback Sport FK7

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20231210_153849_remastered-

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20240219_130608

bt67

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (FK7) CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (FK7) 1.5T CVT

Total tuned time: 1,799 days or (4 years, 11 months and 1 day ago)

Tuned miles driven: 41,345

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Base Maps, Started with Stage Maps, Now Use Dual Target Maps 21* Sport+/Eco Normal, Aggressive Settings (No Ramp), Improved Throttle III, Early Spool

Fuel used: Always 93 Octane From Top Tier List (Usually BP or Circle K/Shell)

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra Race MAF (~10k or so miles so far on it), PRL Turbo Inlet (same time as PRL Cobra), Borla Catback (Stock DP/FP), Goodyear Eagle Sport Tires

Problems/issues: None related to the motor/transmission, Only cosmetic issues such as paint chipping on handles and mirrors, covered under warranty and once more slightly outside factory warranty. (I mentioned other users having similar problems with these plastic painted pieces.) I did also change the CVT fluid at 35K out of abundance of caution and it seems to be smoother/less noisy, My CVT wasn't super loud but I did hear a faint whine that I no longer have heard since CVT fluid change.

Driving style: Normal Acceleration with small WOT moments or maintaining highway speed. Most of the miles put on the car have been highway driving with a mix of suburb driving in Central Florida (Sometimes bumper to bumper and most of the time speed limits 50-60 city major roads or 70-80 average on highway with small bits above 100+ ). at ~20K miles I started driving the car a bit harder on highway runs only with a mixture of medium to WOT (usually for small amounts of time but maybe for 45 mins or so to work. I have done a full race pulls with people on the highway and actually my car was keeping up well or passing most of the time. I usually try to keep up with city/highway traffic but no major WOT pulls other than now and again and usually 50 mph and above if so. Oil and filter changed every 5K miles (usually about the time my Oil Life is up).

Tune experience notes: The car really wakes up and is quick, It sounds really good and seems to get really good MPG (average 25-30MPG) with the dual starter 21 psi tune and aggressive settings, I have been told my car really scoots down the road and doesn't sound like a normal Honda! I check my car often and have mechanical experience (engineer by trade), I see no issues at the time with any of the powertrain components. I do look to get more mods and a custom tune later but also keep within CVT limits while also being close to also being near the limit. I enjoy the aggressive settings as the only person to ever drive the car, however if I let someone else drive, I would probably consider limiting the low end torque but since I do not brake boost or WOT this car off the line, no issues. I knew from day one that CVT needs more protection than the manuals do but only recently thanks to gtman, considering Boost By Gear control or getting a better tune for protection, luckily the base maps seem to be pretty conservative, I have not tried a good paid tune.
Sponsored

Last edited: