The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Figured I'd finally get around to it.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 21 months

Tuned miles driven: ~13,000 out of 15,700 miles driven total.

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (Always Map 3)

Fuel used: Costco 93oct

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI, PRL Turbo Inlet, PRL FMIC, PRL Charge Pipes, Type-R RMM, Perrin RMM Inserts, Type-R Subframe Brace, Acuity Shift Bushings, Acuity Pedal Spacer, Acuity Fully Adjustable Shifter, 27Won Shift Knob, many other miscellanea. All installation work and maintenance performed by yours truly.

Problems/issues: Testing launch control resulted in limp mode, once. Smooth sailing before and since then. Decided to continue ignoring launch control, since I generally do not like the idea of it anyway.

Driving style: Gentle and smooth for the first several miles of a drive, more spirited when up to temperature, occasional pulls to 145mph or more on my favorite stretch of highway (which I have been informed is legally advisable to state is located in Mexico).

Tune experience notes: Not my first modified/tuned vehicle, but a lot of fun. TSP Stage 1 is a good starter tune, well-polished with only a few rough edges that are apparently 2020MY-specific. Knock and fuel trims have been close to perfect. Tune will be replaced by a custom tune by Phearable or IMW this year with a turbo swap. Stock clutch is still solid, but isn't going to survive my plans this year.

Other: I am currently sitting on a nice handful of components to install including a Competition Clutch Stage 2 w/ 22lb SMF, PRL Braided SS Clutch Line, Modified OEM CMC, Magic Collar Subframe Collars, PRL Front Pipe, RV6 R365 Turbo Charger, and Whiteline Grip Series kit. Installation should occur around spring, pending some other parts that are on order.

On order and awaiting shipment are a PRL High Volume Down Pipe and Skunk2 MegaPower Double Barrel exhaust. I have an AWE Touring w/ triple black tips but have decided to RMA it instead of install due to reasons that I may post about in the future.

May soon order a 27Won strut tower bar w/ brake master cylinder brace and a compliment of Ultra Racing chassis braces later this year. Also looking into BBKs and acquiring a set of lightweight 18x9.5 +45 wheels and 265/35R18 summer tires.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car and all the detail. You definitely have some top notch mods in the works. :thumbsup:

Reactions: LBP

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thanks for adding your car and all the detail You definitely have some top notch mods in the works. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I would have already installed the clutch and flywheel but, having done similar work in the past such as installing a MFactory helical LSD in a Fiesta ST, I get really lazy when I think about the work involved. It'll happen, though.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT 1.5T

Total tuned time: 3 Days

Tuned miles driven: 72

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 Non-Si

Fuel used: (California) Costco 91, Shell 91

Additional related mods: 27WON CAI with 27WON Street MAF, MISHIMOTO Intercooler, 27WON FSTB, ULTRA RACING Lower RSTB.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually normal when going to work. Other times slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning. Tuning transformed my civic into a little monster. The main reason I tuned was to reduce the feeling of turbo and CVT lag. I've only tried Phearable Stage 1.5 Non-Si on Map 1 and I am quite satisfied. I don't really feel the need to jump to Map 2 or Map 3 yet. I want to preserve the longevity of the car as it is my daily by solely staying on Map 1. I just wanted a little extra kick but not put too much stress to the car and this seems to be just right.
2nd UPDATE: (Previously started from 27350 miles on the 1st update now at 36018. First tuned on May 8th, 2021. 2nd Update taken on January 6th, 2022.)

Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT 1.5T

Total tuned time: 244 Days (approximately 8 months)

Tuned miles driven: 8668

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 Non-Si

Fuel used: (California) Mostly Costco 91, Sometimes Shell 91, Chevron 91, ARCO 91

Additional related mods: 27WON CAI with 27WON Street MAF, MISHIMOTO Intercooler, 27WON FSTB, ULTRA RACING Lower Rear Hatch Brace.

Driving style: Usually normal when going to work. Other times very speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. My foot is getting heavier for some reason when I drive this car now.

Tuning experience notes: This is an update from the previous entry. Tuning transformed my civic and made it a very sporty monster. It's like a hidden potential has been unlocked with tuning. The main reason I tuned was to reduce the feeling of turbo and CVT lag. I've only tried Phearable Stage 1.5 Non-Si on Map 1 and I am quite satisfied until I decided after doing my CVT trans fluid change (at approximately 34600 miles... yeah I know that's a bit late...) to bump it to Map 2 and it's going to stay that way from now on. Not going to jump to Map 3 due to weak internals and CVT. I think Map 2 can still preserve the longevity of the car as long as I don't go crazy too much on the pedal. I wanted more kick and Map 2 seems to be my power limit for now and will probably be that way forever.

krychek57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, 00 Honda ST1100, 15 Yamaha 6R
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 2 years + a couple months

Tuned miles driven: 66,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2

Tunes used: Starter 19.5/23PSI

Fuel used: 92

Additional related mods: 27Won Intake, Inlet Pipe, FP & Exhaust. HondaHack with TunerView lite

Problems/issues: Zero, unless you count massive wheel hop off the line :p

Driving style: Zoom, Zoom + 3 Hour Stop and Go commutes

Tune experience notes: I know it's just a starter but I've been awaiting more mods before a dyno tune. The starter none the less gave the Si the GO! like it should have had from the factory. You feel where your power band is and it pops under full boost. Hit the sport button, and the fun starts.

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Si

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 30,000 miles *

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner

Tunes used: TSP stage 1 and Phearable tune with God mode, sometimes without

Fuel used: 93 premium always

Additional related mods: PRL street intake, PRL frontpipe/downpipe, PRL Inlet pipe, PRL intercooler, MAPerformance race exhaust, 27won race RMM

Problems/issues: none so far, she’s running great!

Driving style: mostly conservative, maybe 5 WOT in a span of a month

Tune experience notes: This is my first car ever that I’ve modified and pushed to this extent and so far I’m loving all the creature comforts and gas mileage/reliability this car has to offer, she’ll be paid off in about 1 year and a half and I’m looking at an Evo 9 for my next car, this Si is here to stay for the gas mileage I’ll lose when I get the Evo ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some thread odds and ends...

#1 ... Since updates are a big part of learning about tune reliability, I'm trying something new this year. At the beginning of each month I'll be contacting people who haven't added an update for a year or so. And so far, I've gotten a nice response from the people I've asked to update. It's great to see not only how people's builds have changed but the additional tuned miles and reliability. I know the community appreciates the updates.
#2 ... The "quick search" page. Yesterday I added a new post with some useful search terms to help make finding info in the thread easier. I got a great suggestion from 86salmon to include a link to that post in my original post. I'll be updating that search post from time to time with more search terms. If you guys have suggestions on other useful search terms to include, let me know.

#3 ... We're 124 tuned cars away from the magic 1,000 mark. Let's see how quickly we can get there. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and helped the CivicX community.

lhughes21

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2010 F150 XLT 5.4L
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: About a month

Total tuned mileage: 1,200
Total mileage: 42,xxx. Bought in August 2020 with 21,500 miles. Miles have been going up quick since July when I sold my truck.

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner starter 19.5/23, currently using TSP Stage 1, usually on map 3 unless I don't feel like turning off CC to change maps (if anyone knows of a way to make it stay on 3 please lmk), rarely in sport mode

Additional engine mods: None

Non-engine mods: Acuity stage 2 shift kit, weighted shift knob (highly recommend, made by a member here but can't remember the name. Link: Amazon.com: Momentum Pro Shift Knob (M10x1.5) M1-SS-485G-MF Machined Finish 485grams : Automotive). Also an Alpine 12" sub and 1000w RMS Kenwood amp that costed me 3 stitches when taking off the panel by the OBD port. Worth it tho.

Fuel and oil: Shell V-Power or Marathon 93 octane. Been using Mobil 1 extended performance oil and filters

Problems/issues: Nothing so far. Clutch still holding up great at 42,xxx miles

Driving style: Let's just say I take care of it well, but still drive it how the Si was meant to be driven. Merging onto the highway is a lot more fun now ?

I live in rural midwest Ohio so there's never traffic to deal with other than harvesting season. Also gives me room for some spirited driving almost any time I want.

Last year I had had enough of the stock Goodyear tires, just garbage. I put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06, I'm glad I have them with this tune.

Would like to get a PRL CAI but the clutch is getting replaced first whenever it decides to kick the bucket. Seems like absolutely everything is out of stock right now. Trying to decide between the ACT clutch or the Competition Clutch Stage 2 but hearing mixed things about both (still better than Clutchmasters).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
TSP Stage 1, usually on map 3 unless I don't feel like turning off CC to change maps (if anyone knows of a way to make it stay on 3 please lmk), rarely in sport mode
Try contacting TSP and see if they can send you an inverted tune file (Map 3-2-1) for a small fee.

The other option is to keep your V1.2 plugged in at all times and the car will start up in whatever map you were in when you shut the car off. In your case, Map 3.

Thanks for adding your car.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those of you who take your cars for service, do you flash your cars back to stock? oil change, transmission flush, etc.

i would assume for the basic service the dealer has no need to check your ECU, but I could be wrong.
Nope. Granted I'm FBO with TIP and turbo swapped, so it's hard to hide.

Once I added the intercooler, I figured they'd see it. Then again, they didn't notice I was lowered until I had them do an alignment :dunno:

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
Thanks for adding your car. Awesome taillights.

Just curious why you swapped out the stock BPV for the Boomba one. I mean, I'm assuming for more sound but most tuning pros recommend sticking with stock.
Thank you!

I had the torque solutions blow off sound plate, but I didn’t really know how much pressure the stock bypass valve could take. The boomba racing bypass valve was pressure tested to about 75psi. So I figured i’d just jump for the boomba bypass valve since since I knew for a fact it could handle the pressure over time. Don’t need any issues, if any, were to arise in the long term.

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT (52,000mi)

Total tuned time:
1 year

Tuned miles driven:
26,000mi

Tuning device(s) used:
KtunerV2, (previously Hondata Flashpro CARB)

Tunes used:
Ktuner Stage 2 MT

Fuel used:
93 Octane

Additional related mods:
OEM Style LED Headlights, PRL Cobra CAI, Competition Clutch Stage 2 with Lightweight Flywheel (22lbs), Acuity Shifter Cable Bushings, Acuity Shifter Base Bushings, Acuity Centering Spring, HKS Legamax Exhaust, Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar, Accord RSB endlinks, Stoptech Carbon Ceramic brake pads, Motul RBF600brake fluid, Euro spec Sportline spoiler

Problems/issues:
Besides a clutch replacement at 46,000 miles, I have had no major issues. After service was done on the car, the front splash guard/skid plate became partially unattached and was dragging on the road. Was an easy fix just irritating to have to deal with

Driving style:
Perfect mix of spirited aggressive driving, and casual daily driving. Split between highway and city.

Tune experience notes:
This is my first car that I have tuned and modified, and I am loving it! No matter how I drive, I still get great gas mileage and enjoy every second of being in the drivers seat. I was previously using Hondata +6, and decided to give KTuner a try and see what they have to offer. I love the Ktuner Stage 2 map everything about the car feels great. I don't plan on doing any more engine mods besides maybe an intercooler. The car has enough power for me, and I don't want to compromise any reliability or longevity. I want to now focus on making it handle perfect. Starting to look at coilovers and wheels!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You made the same switch I did years ago. Going from the CARB Flashpro to the KTuner V2 is like trading in a plain jane base model for a top of the line, fully loaded one. :cool: Great update and nice job on your build since your original post here.

Last edited:

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Im out of the cool club, but this is what I had before I traded the car in:

Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Si HFP

Total tuned time: 28 Months

Tuned miles driven: 10,000

Tuning device(s) used: I started with a Hondata Flashpro and moved to a KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1; Phearable Stage 1.5; Mapperformance

Fuel used: Premium 92-93

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Intercooler with Pipes, some sort of airfilter/intake, Remark Exhaust

Driving style: Pretty aggressive to normal

Tune experience notes: I bought my car tuned with a Hondata and moved to a Ktuner, I enjoyed trying different tunes. The pherables or Mapperformance were my favorite. I did not know what a HUGE IMPROVEMENT they made until I took the tuner off my car to sell it. WOWWWWW. I don't know that I would have bought the car after driving it stock.

the_civic

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 years 9 months

Tuned miles driven: Roughly 16,000 (and counting)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Tune

Fuel used: Shell V-Power Nitro+ 93 octane (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL “Cobra” Cold Air Intake (Race MAF) / Injen FMIC / Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

Problems/issues: Thankfully none

Driving style: Mostly like an old man with aggressive bursts from time to time.

And here’s my car...

0C38CF89-01FE-43AB-B428-029AF2B00443.jpeg

:::UPDATE 1/8/2022:::

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 3 years 3 months

Tuned miles driven: Roughly 21,000 (and counting)

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Tune (Map 3)

Fuel used: Shell V-Power Nitro+ 93 octane (exclusively)

Additional related mods: PRL “Cobra” Cold Air Intake (Race MAF) / Injen FMIC / Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

:::NEWEST RELATED MODS SINCE PREVIOUS UPDATE::: : PRL Titanium Inlet Pipe ( ~600 miles) / Radium Coolant Expansion Tank

Problems/issues: Thankfully STILL none

Driving style: Mostly like an old man with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Here’s the updated engine bay picture :

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 69B2DB12-962B-4C18-911D-BCC5E827BE9F
Sponsored

Last edited: