The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning experience notes: I ran the KTuner Dual Starter 21 with all the aggro adjustments for 2+ years. Just yesterday, installed the Phearable 1.5R tune. So far I'm loving the feel. Much more 'grown up' compared to the ktuner base maps.
Welcome aboard. Really appreciate you adding your car. Yeah, John Vega's OTS tunes are definitely super smooth, yet potent. Those aggressive KTuner tunes do feel jumpy around town, but by comparison fall flat on their face at high rpm.
Sponsored

Zetsudull

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport 10th gen
Country flag
All are new and inspected for defects, Iā€™m not 100% what the issue is I mean my plugs are gapped to oem spec and only have 10k miles on them? Possibly bad plugs. Going to buy new oem ones tomorrow to replace and will update.
Update on Msd coil packs. Replaced spark plugs with ngk iridium premium. Installed msd packs again and worked for maybe 5 seconds before miss firing all over again. Put back in factory coils and no issues. I wanna say theyā€™re junk but trying to give it a chance.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Welcome aboard. Really appreciate you adding your car. Yeah, John Vega's OTS tunes are definitely super smooth, yet potent. Those aggressive KTuner tunes do feel jumpy around town, but by comparison fall flat on their face at high rpm.
The high rpm power is no joke, definitely a fan so far. One side effect thatā€˜s a plus for me is cruise control at 80+ is so much more relaxed. Even in map 3, thereā€™s no more throttle surges compared to the touchy ktuner base map trying to hold speed. Canā€™t be a bad thing for reliability, but a the very least itā€™s a much more comfortable ride.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thread changelog: New stat added for cars with more than 25,000 tuned miles.

Current thread stats

Tuned cars submitted: 749

Total tuned miles driven: 10,609,650 (reported)
Cars with over 25,000 tuned miles: 109
Car with most tuned miles: choo (139,000)

Cars with major failures: 17 (2.3%)
Failures by tune type: Base 8; OTS 2; Custom 7
Failures by model: Si 4; Non-Si 12; 2.0 NA 0; CTR 0
Highest failure rate: Non-Si 1.5T (3.6%)
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.7%

Transmissions: CVT 258 (34%); Manual 491 (66%)
Base models: 70% CVT; 30% Manual
Aftermarket clutches installed: 83 (16%)

Hondata used for tuning: 157; Race (134) Carb (23)
KTuner used for tuning: 626; V1.2 (351) V2 (275)
Other devices used: JB4 3; RaceChip 4; Motec 3
Usage rate: KTuner 79%; Hondata 20%; Other 1%

Pro custom tuned cars: 135 (18%)
Base tuned only cars: 229 (30%)

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (315)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (146)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (35); Phearable 1.5R (22)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Cars by model: 1.5T Non-Si (346) 45.6%; Si (330) 44.6%; Type R (51) 6.9%; 2.0 NA (22) 2.9%

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (393; 52%)
Users adding 1-1.5 gallons E85: 91 (13%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 80 (10.5%)

At least one bolt-on added: 372 (49%)
No bolt-ons added: 233 (32%)
Cars with full bolt-ons: 144 (19%)

Cold air intakes installed: 269 (36%)
Short ram intakes installed: 84 (11%)
Upgraded intercoolers installed: 227 (30%)

Aftermarket downpipes installed: 221 (30%)
Aftermarket frontpipes installed: 156 (21%)

Upgraded turbo inlet pipes installed: 61 (8%)
Upgraded turbos installed: 54 (7%)

Last edited:

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
@gtman , should I worry if my knock control is around 0.59-0-80? It never go higher than that though. Coming from 1.5R

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
"Everyone knows that tuning improves performance."

My car is at the end of this post, but first I have an honest question (and I am now putting on my flameproof underwear...)
I tuned my car with Ktuner v1.2 to the factory/23 map. I really barely noticed, but decided to go ahead and TSP stage 1+ anyway after reading rave review after rave review. After driving it for a mere two days with TSP1+, (and yes, verifying that it is in fact tuned), I feel that in my driving range (or habit, or behaviour), this tune really shows no improvement over stock. I think my passenger summed it up best when switching from map 1 to map 3: "Eh, I think I feel a difference".

I am not an aggressive driver, and mostly never go beyond 3k RPM, even under hard acceleration. Perhaps every now and then to 3500rpm on the onramp. After flashing, an then reviewing the dynos on the TSP page, what I think is clear is this tune (and the engine, really) develops all of its power in higher RPMs. What I am really after is a boost from 2k-3k RPM, which I do not think an inline 4 cylinder is ever going to really give.

My main complaint now (I suppose I can live with "this tune is for high RPM") is the rev-hang delete. Are you supposed to feel it? I kept reading it would make a real impact (and how I hate the rev-hang)... but neither I nor my passengers can tell when I switch maps if the rev-hang moves at all. I feel like stock to Ktuner map or TSP does not change the rev-hang.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic SI coupe

Total tuned time: 4 days

Tuned miles driven: 419

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Factory / 23 for two days, now moved to TSP Stage 1+

Fuel used: Texaco 93 or Chevron 93 (exclusively)

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: "normal", but heavy footed on the onramps.

Tuning experience notes: I wanted to tune the car to have more low end power (which is what Ktuner / TSP advertise). I really was looking forward to the rev-hang delete, but I honestly feel like there is no difference. Perhaps I missed that you have to go into the tune and change it, but I really thought Ktuner and TSP said rev-hang was deleted by default in the tunes. Honestly, even with lead footing it to 3k or 3500rpm, I really am hard pressed to feel a difference between these tunes and stock in "sport" mode. Even with the on the fly map switchinhg and going from map 1 to map 3 at the red light, my passengers and I can barely tell... I might go back to stock, it seems like I am swapping maps for no real gain.

I do not have a current pic, its just a bone stock Silver 17SI with a candy red joy-stick shifter knob. :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly if you're not feeling a dramatic difference between stock and tuned, I'm a bit flabbergasted.

Of course, map to map at lowish RPM there won't be a huge difference. The real big power gains between maps happens above 3,000 rpm+.

Just a suggestion. Revert back to a KTuner starter map. Go to quick adjustments and set some of the throttle and turbo response settings to be a bit more aggressive. Enable early spool from the quick enables. See if that gives you more of the low end feel you want.

As far as rev hang delete, I don't think it's disabled by default in the Starter maps.

Last edited:

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
"Everyone knows that tuning improves performance."
I am not an aggressive driver, and mostly never go beyond 3k RPM, even under hard acceleration. Perhaps every now and then to 3500rpm on the onramp.
if thatā€™s your driving style Iā€™d say flash it back to stock. Or even better get a NA engine car. You will lug a turbo engine with a hard acceleration below 3K rpmsā€¦

just my 2 centsā€¦

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Why not let the motor rev higher than 3K rpm? You wont hurt anything reving it higher and you will actually put the rpm into the power band. And Honestly can you really put lead footed and shift at 3k rpm in the same sentance?

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Why not let the motor rev higher than 3K rpm? You wont hurt anything reving it higher and you will actually put the rpm into the power band. And Honestly can you really put lead footed and shift at 3k rpm in the same sentance?
I will admit, someone else just mentioned these are high revving cars. This is my first Honda. Other than a Nissan, this is probably also my first four cylinder, except for Germans and Diesels. The manual says shift right around 2.2Krpm. I have been doing that since the get-go. Great 40mpg, but yeah, it is terrible at acceleration.

As someone else noted, I might just flash back to stock and live with it.

Thanks.

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
As far as rev hang delete, I don't think it's disabled by default in the Starter maps.
I will have to ping TSP and see if it is deleted in their TSP1+ maps. I thought it was, but I could be wrong.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I will admit, someone else just mentioned these are high revving cars. This is my first Honda. Other than a Nissan, this is probably also my first four cylinder, except for Germans and Diesels. The manual says shift right around 2.2Krpm. I have been doing that since the get-go. Great 40mpg, but yeah, it is terrible at acceleration.

As someone else noted, I might just flash back to stock and live with it.

Thanks.
Yeah 4 bangers need more reves to get going compared to higher displacement engines or diesel. The manual is saying that to give you good gas mileage. That doesnt mean "must shift at 2.2k." If you need to get more power/accel let it go higher. Not sure what the redline for an Si is but you arent going to hurt anything taking it up there every once and a while. Ive got the CVT but go up to 4-5k just getting on the highway without issue. Let the car rev and enjoy it. Theres a reason you got an Si. Dont be like I guy I once knew. He had a VW and to him letting the turbo spool was abusing the car. Enjoy it.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
It's more like dont shift below that reminds.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@gtman , should I worry if my knock control is around 0.59-0-80? It never go higher than that though. Coming from 1.5R
It won't hurt anything. Those higher numbers just mean reduced power. Were you getting those same numbers on the regular 1.5 tune?

Last edited:

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
It won't hurt anything. Those higher numbers just mean reduced power. Were you getting those same numbers on the regular 1.5 tune?
With the regular 1.5, I can get about .59-.6X but that's it. Same goes with TSP. Idk, gas here in Hawaii must've suck.
Sponsored