tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I only trust a UOA (used oil analysis) to determine OCI (oil change interval)
The other 99.99999% of us realize we just have Accord engines and just follow the MM (maintenance minder)
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
The other 99.99999% of us realize we just have Accord engines and just follow the MM (maintenance minder)
Following and trusting are not the same thing.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Following and trusting are not the same thing.
You trust the rest of the car was engineered and build correctly, just not when the same engineers tell you to change vital fluids. Got it.

Erin Tyres

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I would guess that delaying a recommended oil change might be an issue if you later need to get free repairs done under warranty. By the way, if the MM is saying 15%, you don't have to go in for service right away; you might have another month or more before it gets below 1%.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
You trust the rest of the car was engineered and build correctly, just not when the same engineers tell you to change vital fluids. Got it.
Try to have a great day bud.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
If you really believe that the design engineer's have the final say as it relates to engine maintenance I am truly sorry for you. It's all a calculated function mostly influenced by the actuaries with input from the marketing folks.

I've posted this before but for my 2005 Porsche non-turbo the original maintenance recommendation was an oil change every 15k or two years with the oil filter changed every other oil change! Do you really think an engine engineer recommended that schedule? I certainly don't. Some people stuck to that schedule when the car was new and these are the cars that already have blown the engines or currently have wounded engines.

As I said above do what you want it's your car.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I speak for most of us when I say you have an awesome car and you need to drive it more! :cool:

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I go by MM every time or around 15-20% oil life on the dash. I use amsoil, since I got the car at 12miles, now 35k

Mufasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wanna say that I saw @fatherpain (correct me if I’m wrong) post an oil analysis from Blackstone at 10k miles and it was still very good. Idk what’s the deal. Synthetic oils have gotten very good at maintaining viscosity and weight stability with hard use.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
All I know is that my oil is usually pretty dark by time it gets to 10-15% on the MM. I think next time I'll change it at 20-25%. Been using Valvoline synthetic but I romp on my car plus it's hot as hell here. Maybe I could try another brand don't know much difference between them though.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, that was another member that sent their oil to Blackstone for analysis. Though I have no doubt synthetics can protect our engines up to 10k miles…. I change mine at 3-4k like the old days with conventional oil.

That said, my car is occasionally tracked so always go with fresh oil + I like to think frequent changes helps keep muck and deposits down.

I wanna say that I saw @fatherpain (correct me if I’m wrong) post an oil analysis from Blackstone at 10k miles and it was still very good. Idk what’s the deal. Synthetic oils have gotten very good at maintaining viscosity and weight stability with hard use.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
All I know is that my oil is usually pretty dark by time it gets to 10-15% on the MM. I think next time I'll change it at 20-25%. Been using Valvoline synthetic but I romp on my car plus it's hot as hell here. Maybe I could try another brand don't know much difference between them though.
Color isn't really a gauge to go by. In fact if it's still "clean" it's not doing its job of keeping combustion byproducts suspended. Get an oil analysis done if you really want to see what's going on.

Personally, i change my oil whenever it says oil due soon or around 15% which has come out to around 7-9k miles, i never wait till it runs out. I buy whatever big name oil is on sale at the time (valvoline, pennzoil, castrol, etc). Prefer wix filters but started using fram toughguard.

41k miles here and no real signs of oil consumption/loss.

Last edited:

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
If you really believe that the design engineer's have the final say as it relates to engine maintenance I am truly sorry for you. It's all a calculated function mostly influenced by the actuaries with input from the marketing folks.
You do know Honda is a company ran by engineers right? Engineers do have the final say. Marketing is a completely separate entity. All the different models and trims have different criteria for the MM system. If what you said was true then the K20/k24 engines would have ran the same 5/0-20 oil as every other model and have the same interval.

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
All I know is that my oil is usually pretty dark by time it gets to 10-15% on the MM. I think next time I'll change it at 20-25%.
You can't judge synthetic oil quality by looking at it,

That is an amateur approach, this isn't convectional oil back in the 1990's

synthetic oil that looks dark is actually a GOOD THING, it means the oil is doing its job, it is suspending particles within the oil, that is what oil is supposed to do,that means those particles come out when you drain the oil, instead of sticking to the surfaces of the engine,

synthetic oil can look completely black, and still have the ability to lubricate 100% properly,

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'm stuck in 90s! Time to pull my ass out of it.

Thanks for information.
Sponsored