Oil change frequency?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
2020 Civic Sport. I'm running full synthetic in the car and have been changing it at 7,500 mile intervals. When I go to reset the oil maintenance thing though, it always says my oil is at 40% life or something.

Will the car let me know when I need an oil change? And if so, what % is that on the oil life meter?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
When the car beeps at you
This is what I'm going to go with I think. I looked it up in the owner's manual and it says 15% oil life is when the car will ding. Mine's at 40% right now, so I'm gonna let it ride. All I do is cruise-control highway driving anyway, so it's not like I'm stressing the engine.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
7500 is perfectly fine. You could wait til the 15% reminder and probably be fine as well.

I like to do mine around 7500 miles and 30-40% oil life as well.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never paid attention to this percentage.

Having three dailies I don't even pay attention to my kilometres.

Anyways I change her March/April and October /November. I use Amsoil 0W-30.

DIY cost me $70 every 6 months. Engine/Oil is too important to worry about it. Starbucks alone I spend that in a month.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I change mine usually at 20% oil life left. Sometimes earlier if i have to bring in my car for service. Earlier for me is when 30-40% oil life left.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
This topic has been beat to death.

You'll get the people who change every 1000 miles with only Amsoil of a different weight and send their old oil off for a breakdown report and think they know better than engineers at Honda. Then proceed to trade the car in after 2 years.

Then you get the people who realize we drive economy cars with basic engines and just wait for the light to come on like intended and get 400k miles out of it.

cobravap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 CRV
Country flag
I usually do 5k miles or around there depending on weather especially since it’s in the garage (too hot or too cold suck).

Also I don’t usually check if it’s running low due to burning the oil. Rather just be safe. To people that go 10k or so, do you also make sure the oil level is within range?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would only change it earlier if you are in a high heat or very bad air quality area. Synthetic is meant to last a lot longer than conventional. You can check your oil regularly and see if it is low or getting very dark and decide from there.

Jimmou

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When it comes to oil change intervals, it is very much pick your poison. Some people swear by 3000 mile OCI, others just change it when their light comes on. I believe the maintenance minder system in our civics come on at 10% oil life. Modern full synthetic oils have been proven to be effective at engine lubrication for well over 10,000 miles. You can change your oil at 3000 miles and that will be no issue, just know that you are spending money changing fluid for a very small benefit when your old oil could very well last you up to 3x longer.

Personally, I change my oil at 7000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
...When I go to reset the oil maintenance thing though, it always says my oil is at 40% life or something...
If you're saying it indicates 40% AFTER you reset it then, at least on the 9th Gen, the car can't be running when you try to reset it.
Otherwise follow the MM - we actually go to 0% or beyond depending on how we've been driving (as in the middle of a 10 k-mile road trip.)
Sponsored