mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
My previous car was a Mercedes and depending on the dealership, they would extract the oil from the bottom (drain plug) or from the top (via the dipstick tube).

My question is for our Civic, can the engine oil be extracted from the top?
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
My previous car was a Mercedes and depending on the dealership, they would extract the oil from the bottom (drain plug) or from the top (via the dipstick tube).

My question is for our Civic, can the engine oil be extracted from the top?
Not sure if it can be done from up top but I'm fairly certain that even if it was the case, the dealership would do it the "normal" way and just pull the oil drain plug.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I think the OP may be wondering if it’s possible to top extract so they can change own oil at home without lifting the car?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I think the OP may be wondering if it’s possible to top extract so they can change own oil at home without lifting the car?
I have an oil extractor pump (use it on a Mercruiser Boat engine), and I got some thinner tube, that will feed down the Honda Dipstick tube, but I have not actually tried to suck the oil out yet.

The impression I got when I fed the tube down the tube, is that it did reach the oil level, but not much further before it hit an obstruction, so maybe it is not possible to feed all the way down to the bottom of the sump.

In any case, since you should change the oil filter when changing the oil, the car has to be elevated to get to the filter, in which case, removing the drain plug is not a big deal. (Just remember to use a new Crush Washer)
Oil Drain Plug :30 ft-lbs
Oil Filter: 7.5-10.0 ft-lbs

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-lb-portable-vehicle-ramp-set-63956.html

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Change 63956_I

Since I have fitted a Magnetic Drain Plug, I would want to check it each oil change in any case, so an inexpensive set of harbor Freight Car ramps serves the purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZDO4IO

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Change 41E6I00JOaL

That being said, being able to easily remove a small quantity of the oil via the dipstick tube is not a bad thing to be able to do, especially when that sample is starting to get Diluted.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Thanks.

After I posted this thread, I checked the location of the oil filter. It is location in the bottom so I will have to raise the case and remove the skid plate. Too bad.

With my previous car, the oil filter was located near the top so, no need to raise the car at all for oil changes.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Dont go though the hassle from the top, trust me you'll enjoy it much more the traditional way.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thanks.

After I posted this thread, I checked the location of the oil filter. It is location in the bottom so I will have to raise the case and remove the skid plate. Too bad.

With my previous car, the oil filter was located near the top so, no need to raise the car at all for oil changes.
Yes, a slight pain, although it does not do any harm to take an occasional look under the car, to check that all is as it should be.
The thing to be careful of, it would seem for many posts, is to get the retaining catch-screws fitted back securely when replacing the skid plate.

It must be INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT not to forget to put all of them back, not to loose any, and to put the back securely, as even some "highly factory Trained Mechanics" at DEALERS are having difficulty doing so !!! :doh:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dont go though the hassle from the top, trust me you'll enjoy it much more the traditional way.
I don't believe the TOP is an Option on the 10th Gen Civics ?

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I don't believe the TOP is an Option on the 10th Gen Civics ?
I'm not sure as I have not tried it from the top. I thankfully have the benefit of my buddy's 4-post lift. Makes the job SO much fun!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure as I have not tried it from the top. I thankfully have the benefit of my buddy's 4-post lift. Makes the job SO much fun!
So do I .. my "buddy" next door in his Home detached garage, has 2 4-post lifts, as well as a mobile one he can move around the garage, or even outside !! :thumbsup:

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have the vacuum operated oil extractor mentioned in the above post. And I have used it to correct an "overfilled oil level" situation. It requires a thin tube and it is best to use when the oil is hot. I am not sure if it will have the reach to the bottom of the pan.
Otherwise, in theory, you could use such device to vacuum out engine oil, but you still need the bottom access for the oil filter. You install a remote filter housing rig, that would be cool.
Sponsored