2016 civic oil change/using oil

rayC33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 2007 Acura Tl Type S
Just checking in with other members on this. Have 2016 ext that i bought for my daughter, just over 5k miles with 30% left on the oil change indicator.

She is leaving for school 450 miles and I checked the oil and its down at the bottom level of the dipstick and blacker than I expected. I get free oil changes "on service intervals" but am thinking maybe it needs a change rather than adding. Have owned a number of hondas and acuras and none ever needed oil added in between changes at such low mileage. Should I refill or tell the dealer to change it early? I was shocked it was on the low level at 30% remaining till service.
Sponsored

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I would just change so you or her won't have to worry about it. If you do get it changed make sure they put on the undercover pieces on correctly. For some reason with these Civics the dealers keep forgetting screws and clips and don't put them on right. I was on a road trip right after an oil change and in the middle of nowhere when one of mine came off scared the hell out of me and ruined the piece.

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I would be alarmed that it's that low and "black" in that short of a time frame. I would want it changed and checked for leaks before I sent her that far from home. My experience with my other Honda (2011 Odyssey) has been that it uses no oil and still looks clean until the maintenance light illuminates. 0/20 synthetic.--Dave

SonicTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback w/ Honda Sensing, 2013 Mazda MX-5 GT
Turbos are harder on oil than normally aspirated engines and direct injection tends to dilute oil with fuel, so the oil being black after 5k miles is not surprising. People obsess over the color of oil a little too much, the oil darkening just means it's doing its job. I wouldn't panic about the oil loss at this point as new engines can sometimes use some oil as they are breaking-in, but I would have it documented with the dealership just in case it continues or worsens in the future. I would go ahead and have the oil changed since the car is about to be taken on a long trip and has over 5k miles anyway.
Sponsored