Is anti-lag tune bad for turbo?

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Yes any tune will eventually be bad for your engine. If you want to be safe, stay stock.
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Yes any tune will eventually be bad for your engine. If you want to be safe, stay stock.
Not completely true. Starter maps are completely safe when left alone and are an absolute riot of a change. If you ever flash it you will understand. From all of my testing and logging and fiddling 21-23 psi starter maps are just 1-3 psi over factory advertised boost pressure and realistically make there additional power in a safer way because they do not run much timing advance at all. Boost doesnt hurt when applied correctly with no detonation. Especially when your talking a few psi. I would bet money my car tuned will last longer under my watch than a completely stock car with a negligent/ignorant owner.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A year into using both Hondata and Ktuner base maps, I can't agree here. Maybe incrementally I'm stressing things more. But does that mean instead of 250,000 miles on the engine, I'll only get 200,000? Sure, there is some risk with tuning but like I've said many times, the benefits outweigh the risks, as least for me.

Vilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Si, 2012 Honda Fit, 2008 Ridgeline
Country flag
A year into using both Hondata and Ktuner base maps, I can't agree here. Maybe incrementally I'm stressing things more. But does that mean instead of 250,000 miles on the engine, I'll only get 200,000? Sure, there is some risk with tuning but like I've said many times, the benefits outweigh the risks, as least for me.
I agree here too. A tune is everything. I ran 10 psi of boost with a 60 trim on a stock 01 Civic that I boosted years ago, ran great with a reliable tune for about a year until one of the rods started to bend and it started to knock. A tune will make or break the car. I've seen people blow up built motors with a poor tune. It's possible. Even with beefier internals it doesn't mean you're safe from failure. We still don't totally know the safe limits with these motors, but so far it's been pretty fair i'd say.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I don't know enough about Honda's engine management strategy, but if you want a good example of why a stock tune isn't necessarily better than an aftermarket, take Subaru, for instance. The turbo EJ engine has a delay when the engine goes from closed loop to open loop operation (think off boost to on boost, more or less). It was put there by Subaru presumably to help w/ emissions. It also causes the engine to run lean temporarily, which is not good. Most tuners remove that delay. In the Subaru world, the base maps from Cobb were OK, but certainly were problematic for some. I had a custom tune on my EJ205 pushing about 35% more boost than stock for around 70K miles until I sold it. Never had any engine or turbo issues. But I also didn't beat on it either and used good oil.

A tuner that is worth his salt will provide a safe tune w/ enough headroom that you aren't pushing things to their limits. Certainly, YMMV.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes any tune will eventually be bad for your engine.
You couldn't be more wrong. I think what you meant was "Any tune can affect the longevity of your engine". That's a big difference.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me it’s the same but yes I agree
There are also plenty of untuned cars that have issues too, wouldn't you agree? Often times, it's a matter of abuse, not the tune.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
If you understand the basics of what anti-lag does, you will understand that the forces acting on the turbo system are IMMENSE and there is no way in hell Honda engineers designed that baby turbo to take that much stress. It is a matter of time before you toast a stock turbo using anti lag features that some tuning solutions offer.

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
I went off-site when anti-lag was coming out for us. I think a lot if it depends on how it's implemented and on what specific components (all engines, exhaust valves, turbos aren't the same). Some automakers have it implemented from the factory. Still... there's a lot of doom and gloom out there. Some pictures of some wrecked CHRAs. It sounds like one of those things that you can design around a certain implementation and it be fine. It can also go the other way.

Yikes, listening too that turbo.... made me cringe

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Flames out of the exhaust look cool but when your engine blows up it seems way less cool.

First Name
Saïd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
I went off-site when anti-lag was coming out for us. I think a lot if it depends on how it's implemented and on what specific components (all engines, exhaust valves, turbos aren't the same). Some automakers have it implemented from the factory. Still... there's a lot of doom and gloom out there. Some pictures of some wrecked CHRAs. It sounds like one of those things that you can design around a certain implementation and it be fine. It can also go the other way.

wtf he just revs his car to destroy glasses and bottles? This is the dumbest use of a Supra I have ever seen, if Toyota knew this shit would happen they would have never produced this car.

Sha4KuR-x

First Name
Esteban Lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does it work for 27WON W2?
I understand it is not recommended with a factory turbo
but with 27won W2 ball bearing?