Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Is there any risk with running a tune on a stock FK8? I have never tried to tune a car and I’ve read a ton of these threads and I am really curious/intrigued.

I guess my first thought is that if this extra power is easily achieved with a tune on a stock FK8, why didn’t Honda provide it like that out of the box?
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I guess my first thought is that if this extra power is easily achieved with a tune on a stock FK8, why didn’t Honda provide it like that out of the box?
There are risks even with the stock tune. There can always be manufacturing defects. By having a stock tune, at least the repair can be performed under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run Hondata's tune if I feel confident that my engine doesn't have any defects. I would run the stock tune for a few thousand miles just to be sure.

Also, it doesn't hurt to learn to read critical engine sensor readings, such as, air fuel ratio, knock, short/long term trim, and intake temps just to name a few. The goal is to be able to detect issues early on before it becomes catastrophic. Also, always to make sure to use high quality gas. Can't stress this enough.

There are a ton of reasons, but generally you always leave room for overhead for better reliability. For example, Honda knows people will put 87 octane, so you under-tune the car to prevent engine damage.

It also gives the automaker room to just tune the car for the next year's model year refresh without having to re-design the engine.

Last edited:

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
There are risks even with the stock tune. There can always be manufacturing defects. By having a stock tune, at least the repair can be performed under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run Hondata's tune if I feel confident that my engine doesn't have any defects. I would run the stock tune for a few thousand miles just to be sure.

Also, it doesn't hurt to learn to read critical engine sensor readings, such as, air fuel ratio, knock, short/long term trim, and intake temps just to name a few. The goal is to be able to detect issues early on before it becomes catastrophic. Also, always to make sure to use high quality gas. Can't stress this enough.

There are a ton of reasons, but generally you always leave room for overhead for better reliability. For example, Honda knows people will put 87 octane, so you under-tune the car to prevent engine damage.

It also gives the automaker room to just tune the car for the next year's model year refresh without having to re-design the engine.
That makes a lot of sense, I appreciate the detailed explanation

I have 15k miles on my 2019 and I always use 93 (used 91 a few times on road trips when I couldn’t find 93)

Dante’s tenth circle is reserved for people that burn 87 in this car

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
There is no reason to un-jailbreak. From what I have seen some Honda dealers look at the distance traveled since ECU reset to determined if the ECU has been reflashed before service.
Is this the same as removing battery for 30 min to reset ecu, or is this a different kind of reset.?
My thinking is you can just tell them you had to remove your battery for something else which is why it was reset.
My guess is thats its different, but want to ask to make sure.

NarsBaller

First Name
Japs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Hi team! I recently unmarried and restore to factory ecu settings my fk8 ecu as I thought I will sell my car. However I changed my mind and I want to install the Hondat Flash pro again. The question is; do I need to jailbreak the car’s ecu again and pay the instant jailbreak fee?

thanks!

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hi team! I recently unmarried and restore to factory ecu settings my fk8 ecu as I thought I will sell my car. However I changed my mind and I want to install the Hondat Flash pro again. The question is; do I need to jailbreak the car’s ecu again and pay the instant jailbreak fee?

thanks!
Nope. Jailbreak is permanent

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Honda sells about 300,000+ civics each year in USA so lets say if 1/3 of civic owners buy flash pro each year hondata pulls 25,000,000 annually before taxes. The programming did not cost that much and I think the jailbreak should be included into the price of the unit or cheaper personally considering its 30-50 additional hp and the risks to your trans and thats with other bolt ons making that power not the unit alone. Im considering the product but they are deff making bank of civic owners every year Dont let them fool you

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s more like 0.5% that tune their cars. Not 30%
I dont know the exact numbers but its far more than that, hondata pulls 18 million a year I saw online so I was pretty close

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
I dont know the exact numbers but its far more than that, hondata pulls 18 million a year I saw online so I was pretty close
Hmmm. Not even close. Pre-covid annual Honda sales stand at well over 5million. Using your 18million revenue number, assuming Flashpro and Jailbreak per unit (keeping in mind that Hondata sells a lot more products than that), it translates to 15,000 units which works out to about 0.3% which is a lot closer to TheCanadian's estimate (he stated 0.5% - pretty darn close).

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm. Not even close. Pre-covid annual Honda sales stand at well over 5million. Using your 18million revenue number, assuming Flashpro and Jailbreak per unit (keeping in mind that Hondata sells a lot more products than that), it translates to 15,000 units which works out to about 0.3% which is a lot closer to TheCanadian's estimate (he stated 0.5% - pretty darn close).
The purpose of my numbers were that hondata is charging too much for their product imo considering u have to pay 250 to flash the ecu. That should be built into the unit cost or unit cost be a flat 500 imo. But i was un aware of their other products that does affect the numbers obviously.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
The purpose of my numbers were that hondata is charging too much for their product imo considering u have to pay 250 to flash the ecu. That should be built into the unit cost or unit cost be a flat 500 imo. But i was un aware of their other products that does affect the numbers obviously.
About $1000 for a great base tune and the ability to customize yourself with FBO’s and deeper Customization with a tuner? Sounds like a bargain to me.

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
About $1000 for a great base tune and the ability to customize yourself with FBO’s and deeper Customization with a tuner? Sounds like a bargain to me.
Now for someone who uses mac u have another expense or hassle to fine a pc to use so it just keeps adding up lol for someone with lets say a cvt it mag not be worth it

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
If someone borrows the Cobb accessport to jailbreak the ECU, would that be permanent? And would Hondata work afterwards?
Sponsored