Infotainment Failure

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I here all these problems and yet mine is hacked and also has carlinkit tbox and all works with no problems at all with tbox box i even monitor my home cameras while driving and many other things
I’m beginning to understand why car insurance is so expensive these days.
Sponsored

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Took a 600+ mile drive today. Even using the Carlinkit wireless adapter - the HU went BLACK and ACP stopped. Kept having to unplug the Carlinkit and plug it back in. The third time, ACP came back...without sound...of ANY kind - no direction/voice prompts, no audio source...it wouldn't let me reboot the HU... When you're relying on that for directions, and it just craps out on the highway...it's not overly helpful. I'm about to just rip the HU out and leave it by the side of the road.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Took a 600+ mile drive today. Even using the Carlinkit wireless adapter - the HU went BLACK and ACP stopped. Kept having to unplug the Carlinkit and plug it back in. The third time, ACP came back...without sound...of ANY kind - no direction/voice prompts, no audio source...it wouldn't let me reboot the HU... When you're relying on that for directions, and it just craps out on the highway...it's not overly helpful. I'm about to just rip the HU out and leave it by the side of the road.
This is exactly what was happening to me- screen goes black, whether on bluetooth, CarPlay or even nothing at all. Then it comes back on with no audio, etc. of any kind. Any attempt of a reboot of the Headunit would just sit there. Even a factory reset through settings while in this state would never work. Only solution for me was to shutoff the car for X amount of time and then it would slowly reboot and come back to life. This got so annoying that I swapped to that Joying 10.5" Headunit and while not 100% perfect, I'm glad I did- so much better.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is exactly what was happening to me- screen goes black, whether on bluetooth, CarPlay or even nothing at all. Then it comes back on with no audio, etc. of any kind. Any attempt of a reboot of the Headunit would just sit there. Even a factory reset through settings while in this state would never work. Only solution for me was to shutoff the car for X amount of time and then it would slowly reboot and come back to life. This got so annoying that I swapped to that Joying 10.5" Headunit and while not 100% perfect, I'm glad I did- so much better.
And, of course, Honda won't be able to reproduce it..and, how could they, really, as it's random...so...they'll bail on any sort of solution, except replacing the crappy HU with an equally crappy one of the same model. I had a '15 & a '17 Si - with basically the same HU...very few issues. There is something about the CTR...might be the USB port...or just crappy coding/unit (but one would think it would be the same in the Civics, in general).

This is the ONE thing that pisses me off about this car. Otherwise, it's a dream....

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
And, of course, Honda won't be able to reproduce it..and, how could they, really, as it's random...so...they'll bail on any sort of solution, except replacing the crappy HU with an equally crappy one of the same model. I had a '15 & a '17 Si - with basically the same HU...very few issues. There is something about the CTR...might be the USB port...or just crappy coding/unit (but one would think it would be the same in the Civics, in general).

This is the ONE thing that pisses me off about this car. Otherwise, it's a dream....
Yeah I had a 2019 Si and a 2020 and had absolutely no issues, not even one crash with it. I got the R and within a few hours of driving it home the crashing started. Was random ever since. I even took it to the dealer and they couldn’t do anything without being able to replicate it or at least see it after it happened. Honda itself is aware and supposedly working on a firmware/update but I won’t hold my breath.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Yeah I had a 2019 Si and a 2020 and had absolutely no issues, not even one crash with it. I got the R and within a few hours of driving it home the crashing started. Was random ever since. I even took it to the dealer and they couldn’t do anything without being able to replicate it or at least see it after it happened. Honda itself is aware and supposedly working on a firmware/update but I won’t hold my breath.
Been holding my breath for at least a 1 & a 1/2... So far..... It's useless now to expect anything...

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
2021 Civic Type R. Infotainment Has been periodically crash-ey since new, green screen / freezes, etc. but livable. As of today won't display temp / fan speed or let me access 'climate' function; that's the last straw, I need that. Manual reboot / restart doesn't work, can't access 'settings' bc it tells me I 'need to be stopped' to do so. I am stopped with e brake on; locked out glitch? Completely stock car less than 2k miles, no aftermarket electronic mods to car, use apple car play with non-aftermarket iPhone cord. This is sad bc I love the car but the dang screen is killing me. Suggestions before I go to dealer?

Note, this issue happens regardless whether phone is plugged in or not.

Extra note, left side steering wheel controls do not work for infotainment but do work for center gauge cluster functions.
Hey man been having the same issue since purchase. I have taken the car to 3 dealers and had spoken to Honda America customer service. First go to a good dealer if you live in New Jersey I went to Route 23 Honda. Tell them your issue and bring videos they're gonna ask "Do you plug in your phone" to fast forward through the problem tell them it happens with and without the phone and you want to do warranty work on the car. They told me at first there's nothing they could do. This is why you have you have to come with videos as documentation and proof of your incident, I called Honda customer service and they called the dealer and the dealer asked for videos so I gave them videos, left the car for a day so they can " reproduce the issue" and when I came back they said I do fall under warranty but the part is on backorder and I have to wait until the part is in stock but they'll do all the work. The service manager showed the me the receipt of what the dealer is paying to fix it and now I am just waiting. It is annoying but you have to be annoying because most dealers do not want to do warranty work. If anyone reads this and needs any help please reach out!

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag

My dealer is doing the job come with videos and tell them that it is happening without your phone that you just use it with the radio and even sometimes no music just the regular navigation. I gave them 6 videos of it happening. It's very aggravating but you have to be annoying to get this fixed. Also called Honda America Customer service and tell them that the dealer told you that they do not want to do a warranty job even though you provided proof the dealer will be forced to do the job

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
Hey got a way to get Honda to fix mine, scroll up a little bit I just posted it I have been struggling just like you

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
I here all these problems and yet mine is hacked and also has carlinkit tbox and all works with no problems at all with tbox box i even monitor my home cameras while driving and many other things
Can you send me what you're using

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
Mine was so bad I got the HU replaced by Honda, and still had problems. That is until I got a Carlinkit a month or so ago. I've had a couple times where it wouldn't sync up properly, but zero HU crashes.
I was told like 2 weeks ago it would get replaced but the part is on back order How long did it take you?

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Hey got a way to get Honda to fix mine, scroll up a little bit I just posted it I have been struggling just like you
Others have gotten replacement radios from the dealer under warranty. It won't fix the problem. There is no fix.
Sponsored