Daddie4xTypeR

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna, Honda Accord Hybrid, Lexus CT200h, Toyota RAV4
Country flag
My build number is 1.F1A6.81...not that the updated build helped at all though since my head unit is currently an unresponsive black screen (awaiting a replacement)

When did you purchase your Type R?
June 2020
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Today on my 45ish min commute the iPod worked flawlessly, so it's not the USB jack, Not my Cable, Not the radio micro, it's the damn iOS that controls/connects to the iPhone via CarPlay.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Zero issues here and have an iPhone - as long as you do the following -

Turn on car
Let head unit fully boot
Unlock iPhone
Plug in iPhone
hit Home button
Touch 'Carplay' icon on bottom left of menu screen

Enjoy trouble free Carplay on our shitty headunit.

This sequence worked on my 2019, and now on my 2021.

I'm on the latest iOS and the above = I didn't even notice. Good luck all - hope this helps someone.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Zero issues here and have an iPhone - as long as you do the following -

Turn on car
Let head unit fully boot
Unlock iPhone
Plug in iPhone
hit Home button
Touch 'Carplay' icon on bottom left of menu screen

Enjoy trouble free Carplay on our shitty headunit.

This sequence worked on my 2019, and now on my 2021.

I'm on the latest iOS and the above = I didn't even notice. Good luck all - hope this helps someone.
What's your iOS version on your phone? As I said earlier, 15.0.2 wrecked my iPhone 6 and iPhone 12 as far as working with CarPlay.
I've done all that to no avail. Was working tolerably with an occasional crash but after iOS 15.0.2 all hell broke loose.
With my iPod I don't have to do anything, and with my iPhone (car only) before the OS update I just left it connected 24/7 in the glove box.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's your iOS version on your phone? As I said earlier, 15.0.2 wrecked my iPhone 6 and iPhone 12 as far as working with CarPlay.
I've done all that to no avail. Was working tolerably with an occasional crash but after iOS 15.0.2 all hell broke loose.
With my iPod I don't have to do anything, and with my iPhone (car only) before the OS update I just left it connected 24/7 in the glove box.
I'm at 14.8 on an iPhone 12 mini

My wife has an iPhone 11 Pro and neither one has issues that I have seen.

I just checked and 15.0.2 is available- installing now and will test / let you know :)

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright man - SGP Type R owners help each other out! lol

- Upgraded phone to 15.0.2

Using the same process I suggested above -

- Drove 45 minutes (round trip to hardware store)
- Listened to mix of satellite and iPhone / iTunes - jumping between Audio source and back to home / carplay each time - no issue
- Took and responded to texts with Siri - no issue
- Took dictation from Teams via Siri - no issue

Did this one the way there - shut off car at store - repeated on the way home.

No issues / totally flawless experience.

I think you need to get away from 'I just leave it plugged in in the glovebox' 99% of the pain I experienced with this whole head unit was having things plugged in before the POS booted. Or having something plugged in that wasn't unlocked then trying to start carplay - that's just going to shit the bed.

Good luck and let me know results - but I wasn't able to do anything but enjoy the drive and crank a variety of tunes / handle business.

iPhone 12 Mini - 15.0.2 iOS

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag

- Listened to mix of satellite and iPhone / iTunes - jumping between Audio source and back to home / carplay each time - no issue

I think you need to get away from 'I just leave it plugged in in the glovebox' 99% of the pain I experienced with this whole head unit was having things plugged in before the POS booted. Or having something plugged in that wasn't unlocked then trying to start carplay - that's just going to shit the bed.

Good luck and let me know results - but I wasn't able to do anything but enjoy the drive and crank a variety of tunes / handle business.

I generally don't have issues other than occasionally the head won’t pickup the phone (restart both) and graphics “smearing” in car play (home button then back in to carplay without disconnecting usually fixes) also, Using SHORT 1’ certified cables.

I run iOS beta profiles, regular profiles. Same behavior. No bluetooth connection, period. No need for it.

This is a firmware issue for sure. Alex’s boot process helps, but this isn't getting remediated until Honda releases updated firmware.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Yeah I tried the other method multiple times to no avail. Must be my radio.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I tried the other method multiple times to no avail. Must be my radio.
Try swapping your cable as a last last test but you might need to hit up that warranty...

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Try swapping your cable as a last last test but you might need to hit up that warranty...
Yeah it’s an Apple cable, works great with my latest/last gen iPod. I have quite a few I’ll swap this weekend don’t want to piss it off or jinx it for the ride tomorrow

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
I gave up and just put songs on a large flash drive.
This is the problem if no one goes to the dealership Honda will never fix the problem. I've been told by multiple dealers already that theyre just waiting on Honda to accept that its an issue. Just take a day out of your month to annoy your honda dealer

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
This is the problem if no one goes to the dealership Honda will never fix the problem. I've been told by multiple dealers already that theyre just waiting on Honda to accept that its an issue. Just take a day out of your month to annoy your honda dealer
I went to the dealer multiple times and they replaced the head unit under warranty. How much more time should I dedicate?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Reboot radio, reboot phone, then changed the cable, connected iPhone, immediate hang-up, screen goes blank, will then remove CarPlay icon and replace with "smartphone", will play about 2 songs then music will stop and black screen "please connect smartphone to USB jack to use CarPlay" or something to that effect. Oh, and even when CarPlay seems to be working Steering wheel << and >> will not work.
The rest of the radio works great, I can (after the CarPlay hang) connect my iPod (with an older iOS version)! and it works flawlessly. So (on my radio) it's only the code that controls/invokes CarPlay that is at fault with the version of iOS-that's on my iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 6. Stupid me for upgrading.
Oh and my glovebox iPhone is in airplane mode, and my Mini isn't paired to the radio.
I give up, using my iPod just works.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Ok installed iOS 15.1 and my old iPhone 6 and my 12 Mini worked normally with radio. For some reason CarPlay on my 2019 did not like 15.0.2

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I'd like to report back some of my observations so far:

1) The method of plugging in my phone that is unlocked after the HU is booting up really helps quell some glitches.

2) Putting in the address on google maps on my phone directly and hitting start helps as well. My HU doesn't like to be the primary means for interaction. It seems to function better by being told what to do.

3) My biggest gripe is that I'll be listening to satellite radio, get a phone call, then after the call, it automatically switches to phone audio source. Other than that, it hasn't been too terrible.

4) To prevent automatically defaulting to my phone as the audio source when I plug it in, I make sure not to be on a call when I turn the car off, and I also unplug it before I turn the car off as well. This has solved that issue.

I have an iphone 12 pro and always update to the latest iOS whenever they are available. Mine didn't seem to be impacted by iOS versions.

I am still hoping Honda releases a software update for this as this is the same HU across many vehicles and I know others are having issues. The CRV forum is in the same boat as we are.
Sponsored