2020 Infotainment System/Apple Carplay Issues

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
Anyone with a 2020 or above knows that the infotainment system can be kinda buggy. Sometimes it won't connect to Apple Carplay, sometimes it will kick me off of apple carplay and be unable to reconnect. Sometimes it will say "reconnect usb to restart apple carplay" and then doing so does nothing.

Has anyone found any quick fixes? Is there like a software update I can get at the dealer?
Sponsored

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
I just had to do a factory reset on all settings to get my car play to work again. before that, the most annoying issue I had was a delay when connecting to a call it would start playing Sirius or other audio for 4-8 seconds before connecting back to the call.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Not sure this is just a 2020 and above problem.

I have a 2016 Touring and my #1 complaint about it has been overall CarPlay compatibility. It has been better as of late but early on it was horrible. My ultimate solution was a head unit placement and an update to the firmware after that. I still have problems but they are few and far between now.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I 've had to reboot the system about once every two weeks.
It gives the "Please connect something to the USB" message and then won't do anything.
Rebooting fixes it (for a while).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Not sure this is just a 2020 and above problem.

I have a 2016 Touring and my #1 complaint about it has been overall CarPlay compatibility. It has been better as of late but early on it was horrible. My ultimate solution was a head unit placement and an update to the firmware after that. I still have problems but they are few and far between now.
As ironic as it may sound, 2016-18 models (2017-18 Type R) actually have a TSB that fixes this issue (through a firmware upgrade). No such fix exists for the 2019-21 models though.

21BBTYPR

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Type R
My head unit (2021) typically locks-up when I switch ON the ignition/accessories with my iPhone plugged-in. When I remember to plug-in AFTER the head unit fully powers-up, CarPlay is stable.

Your other option is a wireless CarPlay adapter (I use https://cplay2air.com/) which works ALMOST as well (intermittent static pops) without the need to remember to plug-in AFTER powering-up the head unit.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My head unit (2021) typically locks-up when I switch ON the ignition/accessories with my iPhone plugged-in. When I remember to plug-in AFTER the head unit fully powers-up, CarPlay is stable.

Your other option is a wireless CarPlay adapter (I use https://cplay2air.com/) which works ALMOST as well (intermittent static pops) without the need to remember to plug-in AFTER powering-up the head unit.
CarPlay2Air has its own other quirks. Like if you go into reverse while it’s trying to connect to your iPhone it’ll sit at a black screen until the head unit is restarted. Additionally, going into the CarPlay screen while it’s trying to connect has the same behavior (black screen).

21BBTYPR

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Type R
CarPlay2Air has its own other quirks. Like if you go into reverse while it’s trying to connect to your iPhone it’ll sit at a black screen until the head unit is restarted. Additionally, going into the CarPlay screen while it’s trying to connect has the same behavior (black screen).
True that!

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag

This right here! My 2019 insists I start up the car, wait for the warning to come up on the head unit, push “OK,” unlock the phone, THEN plug in. Agonizing process if all you want to do is jump in and go, but anything else throws the chances of a lock up/black screen from 10% up to at least 80%….

‘vagen

Mrchessy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Try restarting your phone while it’s plugged into the Infotainment. It beats restarting the whole infotainment system which is like 15 min. The system is buggy regardless.

Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
This right here! My 2019 insists I start up the car, wait for the warning to come up on the head unit, push “OK,” unlock the phone, THEN plug in. Agonizing process if all you want to do is jump in and go, but anything else throws the chances of a lock up/black screen from 10% up to at least 80%….

‘vagen
This is exactly what I do in my 21 to avoid the issue now. Very annoying to deal with in a new car and is my biggest gripe I currently have as a new owener. My 21 accord head unit was 100x nicer.

un1coRn

IG: @sgp_fk8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8 R-34844
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Major issues with CarPlay on my 2019 SGP R. One thing I noticed that nobody ever mentions is that "Podcasts" kills my connection 100% of the time. I literally can't use it/CarPlay together. Bluetooth is fine tho. Waze is another big issue for mine. Hopefully we'll get a TSB for the 2019+

21BBTYPR

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Type R

‘vagen
Tip (you may or may not be aware of): The Apple iOS has a CarPlay setting (On/Off) to allow CarPlay use with the iPhone screen locked.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
The solution is to restart the phone. If that doesn’t work, reboot the head unit. These head units/CarPlay are extremely buggy. There’s nothing else you can do other than these two things, other than a factory data reset, which will only work for so long before you’re back to the same issues.